Bolo 's Challenges On The Set Of Enter The Dragon

Posted by: Kataman23

Bolo 's Challenges On The Set Of Enter The Dragon - 05/15/05 03:02 PM

I read on another forum that the producer and director of Enter The Dragon claimed that Bolo was constantly challenging Bruce Lee on the set, and that Bruce Lee consistently won. Is there truth to this or is this just a myth?

I've read that they were friends.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Bolo 's Challenges On The Set Of Enter The Dragon - 05/15/05 03:10 PM

Ive heard the same thing. Bruce never mentioned him by name, but said that he was often challenged on the set. Inosanto said the same thing. He said a challenge would be made, Bruce would trash the guy, then filming would continue. He said Bruce was never bitter about it and would even let the challengers remain in the movies. Bolo looked like a weightlifter more than he did a fighter in my eyes anyways.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Bolo 's Challenges On The Set Of Enter The Dragon - 05/15/05 03:39 PM

'Bolo' Yeung is certainly an accomplished bodybuilder (and one time occasional training partner of Lee Haney). He has done a number of MA movies since 'Enter', including Bloodsport, Double Impact and Tiger Claws 2000. He would appear to be a skilled MA despite his bulk.
In an interview conducted by Bey Logan for Impact Magazine in the early 90's, Bolo talked of sparring with Bruce many times in the filming of ETD, and also made reference to the many challenges that Bruce accepted in this time, but that they were friends and that the sparring was enough to convince him of Bruce's superiority. He claimed that most of the challenges came from the many hundreds of extra's hired for the training camp segments, many of which were aspiring MA and MA actors, hoping to make names for themselves.
The only incident reported between Bruce and another leading character from the film, was between Bruce and Bob Wall (O'Hara). Apparently, when running through the scene with the smashed bottles, Bruce was cut on the hand quite badly due to error on Mr Walls part. This clumsiness evidently angered Bruce, and upon returning to filming after treatment, lead to him not 'pulling' a kick targeted at Bob, leading to (i believe) some broken ribs.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Bolo 's Challenges On The Set Of Enter The Dragon - 05/15/05 04:49 PM

I heard of that incident as well, but forgotten about it.
Posted by: Singhay

Re: Bolo 's Challenges On The Set Of Enter The Dra - 05/19/05 10:51 PM

bolo yeung was a weightlifter. he was mr. hong kong or something like that before he made his way into enter the dragon. he was pretty famous before his role in enter the dragon. i believe he does Yang Style Tai Chi and he is pretty fast for his mass. if you look up bolo yeung and find one of his fan sites there are a few pics of him and bruce kicking eachother.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Bolo 's Challenges On The Set Of Enter The Dragon - 06/26/05 04:35 PM

I'd heard that Lee had told everyone he was going to kill Wall but only relented at the intervention of the director so as to 'save the film'. However, Bob Wall claims it is all binkum and it was a rumour put around by the director (or someone in the production crew) to break up the relationship between him and Bruce.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Bolo 's Challenges On The Set Of Enter The Dra - 06/26/05 09:03 PM

Enter the Dragon wasn't Bolo's first movie. He was in at least 10 other movies prior to ETD. In his early days he was a bit smaller but still bulky in comparison to many Chinese. Bolo was a student of Bruce Lee's for a while as well but he has had extensive training in Tai Chi. Bolo is one of my favorite actors from the B flicks. It's hard to believe he will be 67 this July. He's going to be in Van Damme's new movie "Kumite" with of all people Bob Sapp.
Posted by: Neonomide

Re: Bolo 's Challenges On The Set Of Enter The Dra - 07/20/05 10:10 PM

According to Bolo, Lee won him in arm wrestling. Interesting, eh?