1" punch secrets

Posted by: rogerroo

1" punch secrets - 05/10/05 02:09 PM

wat are the best methods to interpret into training to strenghten fist so 1 inch punch appears affective and works. Feel free to add. peace
Posted by: jkdwarrior

Re: 1" punch secrets - 05/10/05 05:25 PM

This one's easy (the answer, not the move). It's all in the technique. I'll break it down for you:
The movement starts from the centre, not the hips as many people think, aim the punch with your body, not your hand. Use your legs to rotate your body around the central line, after you've generated the power with your whole body, throw your shoulder into the direction of the punch aiming to concentrate the power you've generated into the end of your fist. The secret is that you use your body for the power and not your arm, so your body may actually move a great deal while your fist only travels one inch. It takes a lot of practice to time your movements correctly so get training. This is also the same movement as a punch from a longer distance only you need better timing.

"Ahh Shrek! your better warn someone before you crack one off, I had my mouth open and everything"
Donkey, Shrek.
Posted by: Gemini

Re: 1" punch secrets - 05/10/05 05:50 PM

Good point about the shoulder. I never could do it until I realized it. Made all the difference in the world. I also find it helpful to keep my elbow at the same height as my hand, but I know people that don't. Just a suggestion.
Posted by: starbuck

Re: 1" punch secrets - 05/10/05 07:27 PM

A good way to practice technique is to get a 2.5 lb. coffee can and fill it with sand. Find a long countertop and put the can on the edge and practice. Soon you’ll be looking for a longer counter or more weight in the can. You can also have someone hold a phone book in front of them with their elbows braced against their torso standing in the on-guard position. I wouldn’t try this technique on a heavy bag; you’d be surprised at the power generated. I’ve seen many a sprained wrist.