Is JKD really JKD???

Posted by: Anonymous

Is JKD really JKD??? - 04/26/05 03:13 PM

Ok im a BIG fan of Bruce Lee and not just movie wise. Im going through alot of Bruce Lee info and i dont think JKD is what he inteended it to be.I think that if you was still alive it would be totally different.

not as much the moves but how people learn it and train in it, like Bruce said "Jeet Kune Do is not a Martial Art." and i think that to many people treat it as a martial art. Bruce stated in his book to express your self, and he did through Jeet Kune Do, and the moves he did. Bruce wouldnt want every one trying to be copies of him, im refering to the moves, if you had trouble with a move or it worked better for you in a different way, Bruce would say do it your way, because Jeet Kune do is simply to simplyfy, and what is simpl for one might not be fore another, and Bruce mentioned expressing YOURSELF in his book and in interveiws.

well i know Jeet Kune Do would be different if Bruce was alive today.

No offense to any one at all!! im VERY sorry if i offended any one at all.

please give me your thoughts, thank you!!

Later

Re: Is JKD really JKD??? - 04/26/05 04:52 PM

I would have to agree with you. JKD isn't an art it's a system. The goal is for it to be simple and easy to learn for anyone regardless of their skill.

Re: Is JKD really JKD??? - 04/26/05 04:55 PM

JKD is fighting without fighting.. the way of the intercepting fist...if u actually studied Bruce Lee, or read atleast 3 of his books.. you would ALREADY know what JKD is..

Re: Is JKD really JKD??? - 04/26/05 04:56 PM

huh? read books, and get the idea of JKD like snap crackle pop? Don't think so buddy.

Re: Is JKD really JKD??? - 04/26/05 06:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BruceLeesTheGreatest:
JKD is fighting without fighting.. the way of the intercepting fist...if u actually studied Bruce Lee, or read atleast 3 of his books.. you would ALREADY know what JKD is..[/QUOTE]

is JKD just repeating short Bruce Lee quotes?

Re: Is JKD really JKD??? - 04/27/05 05:50 AM

I agree with everything here, but in the tuttle book there are some quotes that go right for this unstylised way of fighting to fit in with all styles. But there are also some quotes that go the opposite of this. I dont have the book on me at the moment, but they go along the lines of....
'im creating a new style hybrid of kung fu, boxing and fencing'
'wait till i get my own style done, its gnna be the best man!!'
Whats that all about, there are the popular quotes in the book also that contradict these? Also i think Jkogas was saying that perhaps Bruce didnt want to mention what exactly JKD is as he was very much into the thoughts of Krishnamurti. What do u think bout that? I think i also read sometihng earlier that was like,
'ok Bruce, just get a few more good hardcore followers and then brand your new style JKD'

Whatyathink?

Ayub
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Is JKD really JKD??? - 04/27/05 05:04 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by someotherguy:
is JKD just repeating short Bruce Lee quotes?

[/QUOTE]

BINGO! I think that is certainly the case with many people.

If you ask anyone that has a REAL clue, JKD isn't about talking at all -- it's about discovering what actually works. That requires hard training, all out using equipment and whatever else. When whatever is left is standing at the end of such training - THAT is JKD.

-John

Re: Is JKD really JKD??? - 04/29/05 05:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TKDFighter69:

Im going through alot of Bruce Lee info and i dont think JKD is what he inteended it to be.I think that if you was still alive it would be totally different.

not as much the moves but how people learn it and train in it, like Bruce said "Jeet Kune Do is not a Martial Art." and i think that to many people treat it as a martial art.
well i know Jeet Kune Do would be different if Bruce was alive today.

Later
[/QUOTE]

I agree completely that too many people treat it as a martial art style. I hear people telling others what martial arts they do. It sounds like this, "Boxing, karate, jkd, tkd etc". If they really understood what jkd was, they would ONLY express themselves through jkd. "JKD IS MARTIAL ART" (sorry for boring people with yet another quote but this one is relevant to my point).

I'm not so sure though if it would be different today if bruce was still with us. Surely all instructors teach it differently anyway. I've attended seminars by both sifu Lamarr Davies and sibak taky Kimura (sorry about the spelling) and it seems that they like to teach us different things. For example, i know that Mr. Kimura teaches JKD in the seattle stance as opposed to the bai jong position.
I'll say it again, JKD IS NOT A STYLE. If you are learning techniques and then continually searching for ways to ammend them, ie makes them faster, more powerful, more balanced and untelegraphed, then that is JKD. How could it be different today, if it still follows the exact same concepts as it did thirty years ago. I'm sure Bruce would have added more,(or maybe taken some of it away) had he lived longer, but at it's heart, JKD will always be the same until we develop different physical characteristics.