WEIGHT BHIND PUNCH

Posted by: Anonymous

WEIGHT BHIND PUNCH - 04/19/05 03:02 PM

I HEARD PPL IN WING CHUN SAY U HAV 2 GET ALL UR WIEGHT IN YOUR PUNCH HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE WAT IS THE CORRECT METHOD PLIZ THANX

Re: WEIGHT BHIND PUNCH - 04/19/05 05:15 PM

Lets see, you being a troll...

You spelt everything capitilized, which is using wrong grammar. Next, you spelt people wrong, being people, not "PPL". You is also spelt wrong, it is not "U", but rather you. What is spelt wrong, its what, not "wat", using one more keystroke isn't going to kill you. Pliz, I can only assume you mean please, which is spelt respectivly, and not "pliz" or any other variation. Thanks, is with a "k" at the end, and not an "x". Now that all the spelling is out of the way, lets get into punctuation. A period should come after your sentance "I heard people...weight in your punch." A period goes there. You need a conjunction after possible, and you should probally use and, so the sentance flows smoother. A question mark comes after method.

For people whom can't read that, it is supposed to translate to:

I heard that people in Wing Chun say that you have to use your weight when you punch. How is this possible and what is the correct method? Thank you for taking time to read this properally puntuated, spell checked, and grammar corrected version."

Please, if you are going to troll these forums, use proper grammar and spelling, like any professional trolls I know.

Re: WEIGHT BHIND PUNCH - 04/20/05 05:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rayman452:
Lets see, you being a troll...

You spelt everything capitilized, which is using wrong grammar. Next, you spelt people wrong, being people, not "PPL". You is also spelt wrong, it is not "U", but rather you. What is spelt wrong, its what, not "wat", using one more keystroke isn't going to kill you. Pliz, I can only assume you mean please, which is spelt respectivly, and not "pliz" or any other variation. Thanks, is with a "k" at the end, and not an "x". Now that all the spelling is out of the way, lets get into punctuation. A period should come after your sentance "I heard people...weight in your punch." A period goes there. You need a conjunction after possible, and you should probally use and, so the sentance flows smoother. A question mark comes after method.

For people whom can't read that, it is supposed to translate to:

I heard that people in Wing Chun say that you have to use your weight when you punch. How is this possible and what is the correct method? Thank you for taking time to read this properally puntuated, spell checked, and grammar corrected version."

Please, if you are going to troll these forums, use proper grammar and spelling, like any professional trolls I know.
[/QUOTE]

Perhaps his or her english is not to the same high claibre as yours is? I know plenty of internationals that do not see any problem in writing in capitals all the time and also have bad spelling. You have to make sure the bad english use is deliberate before making these comments, Im learning a foreign language and if someone corrected me in that manner (with all the troll references!!!), I wouldn't feel too good. I mean, you did comprehend what was being said anyway.

-Ayub

Re: WEIGHT BHIND PUNCH - 04/20/05 01:21 PM

SHAO,
Please ignore Rayman.

I cant tell you about positioning cause i would have to show you but the correct wing chun method is this:
You stay relaxed (the most important thing is to stay relaxed.) then when you deliver the punch you tense up at the last second.
Secondly at the same time that you extend your punching arm, put your hip into the punch and pull the opposite shoulder back.

So if you are throwing a left punch, twist into the punch, consciously and also pull your right shoulder back. Also when you tense up for that split second tense up your whole body.

Practice, and you will have devastating power.

Re: WEIGHT BHIND PUNCH - 04/20/05 05:53 PM

You shouldn't be tensing your whole body in my opinion, nor twisting the shoulders. You must maintain your structure and the power is generated from rotation at the hip toward the target - there should be no rotation at the spine, nor tension in the shoulders. If the elbow is correctly aligned then the force of hip rotation should be transferred into the punch without the need to involve any shoulder movements at all.

Re: WEIGHT BHIND PUNCH - 04/21/05 05:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by someotherguy:
You shouldn't be tensing your whole body in my opinion, nor twisting the shoulders. You must maintain your structure and the power is generated from rotation at the hip toward the target - there should be no rotation at the spine, nor tension in the shoulders. If the elbow is correctly aligned then the force of hip rotation should be transferred into the punch without the need to involve any shoulder movements at all.[/QUOTE]

Try what i said and if you cant hit harder then i ll eat my own $h%%.
As for tensing up the whole body, try throwing a punch relaxed and then tense up you arms, if your abs are not tense at that point also then you are not doing it right.

There shouldnt be a rotation of the shoulders, i agree, the shoulder movement should only come in on the 1 punch or the last punch just to give that extra rotation.

It is primarily the hip that gives the power but you have to put your whole body behind it.

Re: WEIGHT BHIND PUNCH - 04/21/05 06:15 AM

If you tense then you become unable to react, tension is the enemy. You will not be able to pull the punch back as quickly nor move should the punch not connect (and even if it does, the opponent can still be throwing his own attacks). You make the fist at the last moment, and obviously any movement will require muscle action, but you do not want to use muscles that are not necessary because they only reduce the power. Your pectoral muscles should not be tense, and certainly your whole body should not be because you'll be tensing muscles that are involved in the recoil rather than the forward spring of the punch.

The way I see it, the body behind the punch should come from the movement of the hips. The shoulders only seemingly rotate because they should always be aligned over the hips - you don't want spinal torque. Moving the shoulder forwards compromises the structure of the stance, risks shoulder injury on impact, and uses excess muscular tension. I cannot get it to work for me without it negatively affecting other aspects of my fighting ability.

But hey, everyone has their own approach depending on the concepts you are putting into practice.

Re: WEIGHT BHIND PUNCH - 04/21/05 07:09 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by someotherguy:
you'll be tensing muscles that are involved in the recoil rather than the forward spring of the punch.

[/QUOTE]

How much you tense has also got to do with the level of proficiency.
In the beginning everything should be relaxed.
I have been doing the relaxed punching for 3 years. Then I started isolating muscles, And now I can tense only the muscles that i need, and not the recoil ones, as you quite rightly said.

I have a tendency though that when i intend to deliver a finishing punch then i tense my whole body, and i give it the whole twist. The shoulders, i agree should only be turned according to the hip so that you dont get spinal torque.

Having said that, you should never over commit your punches, unless you are 150% sure that you are going to knock him out.