Martial arts : something for autodidactic people?

Posted by: Anonymous

Martial arts : something for autodidactic people? - 03/31/05 05:50 PM

Hi, Im new here and have taken considerable interest in several fighting arts.

I'm doing western boxing, and have taken a couple of Tae Kwan do classes, but i'd really to get to Jeet kune do.

Unfortunatly,for a variety of reasons, I can't for now go to a JKD/Martial arts school and will probably be in that situation for quite some times.However,
I found some internet sources on how to kick/punch and wondered If I could just temporarly self-train alone or with a buddy? Do you think that would actually help?

thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by Nick1stJ (edited 03-31-2005).]

Re: Martial arts : something for autodidactic people? - 03/31/05 11:37 PM

Anything is better than nothing. If you actually got a friend that will work with you the videos can be almost as good as real instruction. Gary Dill has a set of videos on JKD out there that are pretty good.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Martial arts : something for autodidactic people? - 04/01/05 04:43 AM

I would also like to recommend a set of videos from Matt Thornton. That series is called "Functional JKD" and it's the 2nd series that you're interested in.

The link to that series is here: http://www.straightblastgym.com/videoinfo.htm#JKD2

And here is a link to the store area (which apparently wasn't available from the previous link): http://www.straightblastgym.com/store.htm

That series really covers all the bases with regard to standing, clinch fighting and ground fighting. No stone is left uncovered.

Get some partners and TRAIN. You can supplement that with seminar participation and occassional private lessons at a gym somewhere to guage your progress.

-John

[This message has been edited by JKogas (edited 04-01-2005).]

Re: Martial arts : something for autodidactic people? - 04/01/05 03:59 PM

Kk thx all.

[This message has been edited by Nick1stJ (edited 04-06-2005).]

Re: Martial arts : something for autodidactic people? - 04/01/05 05:01 PM

I really enjoy Paul Vunak's training videos. He goes straight to the point, and shows some good application.

Re: Martial arts : something for autodidactic people? - 04/04/05 06:34 AM

Jeet Kune Do was a way for Si Gung Lee to express himself. So it is supposed to be practiced and build up by oneself.

You just need an instructor or video or whatever to clear your mind and open it up. To teach you the guidelines of JKD.

Of course you need to have some technique that's why you train with an instructor.

But you can only express yourself through martial arts if you practise it yourself and make it your own.

Grtz Randy