JKD stance?

Posted by: Anonymous

JKD stance? - 03/30/05 09:59 PM

I'm sure there is a stance or maybe more than one. Anyway when I usu enter conflict I face right side first, with my left arm folded up to my right shoulder and my right arm down (bent) near my leg. This is actually how Bruce did his stance for his original concepts of Jeet Kune Do I believe and even made this stance in his movies. I jsut use the same one cause it's good if you're on guard.

Anyway (point) I was wondering how your JKD stances are if yall could enlighten me.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: JKD stance? - 03/31/05 03:12 PM

I changed from the strong side forward stance about ten years ago and have never looked back. It really doesn't matter HOW you stand, providing you have an athletic base to fight from and, are capable of sparring effectively against a variety of people.

-John

Re: JKD stance? - 03/31/05 03:47 PM

If in the event that I can't end it quickly, I don't give my opponenet a clear shot, I move around. I think that's another thing in JKD, basically DON'T STAND STILL.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: JKD stance? - 03/31/05 05:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oozuru:
If in the event that I can't end it quickly, I don't give my opponenet a clear shot, I move around. I think that's another thing in JKD, basically DON'T STAND STILL.[/QUOTE]

That's a good thing for ANY fighting art. One should develop a harmony between his hands and his feet. Often this is found to be lacking from many martial artists.

-John

Re: JKD stance? - 03/31/05 06:54 PM

Well, the on guard stance is supposed to be strong side forward with your legs following a toe-heel line and your arms at about neck level. So your front toe is in line with your back heel. Your strong arm about four inches or so in front of your other and very slightly below it. Really though, the situation will dictate your stance. It's rare that in a real situation you'll get to jump back and square off and why would you? It'd give the other guy the chance to get ready.

Re: JKD stance? - 03/31/05 07:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Madrox:
It'd give the other guy the chance to get ready.[/QUOTE]

That's another thing, sometimes I ave to make a 'pre-emptive' stance to deter a potrntial foe or foes. And what's not cool about that is it's not good for the social scene, you have to be VERY good and have experience to know if someone means you harm.

Sometimes body language just doesn't cut it.

[This message has been edited by Oozuru (edited 03-31-2005).]
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: JKD stance? - 04/02/05 12:18 AM

Im quite the opposite from john. I trained weakside forward at first but now go strong side forward and have seen quite an improvement from it. Its really just about whats natural for you.