Attention All :Threads on the late great Bruce Lee.

Posted by: Chen Zen

Attention All :Threads on the late great Bruce Lee. - 03/19/05 04:37 AM

Okay, lets get down to it. Ive got nothing against Bruce Lee. I value his contribution to martial arts and to the film industry as well. I own all his books and films. However, I also recognize that the man was just that, a man. He had his faults as we all do. He was HUMAN like we all are(most of the time). The problem is, many people worship Bruce and JKD like a religion. The very thing Bruce wanted to prevent. So in that spirit, topics on Bruce Lee will be monitered very closely and almost always terminated because, like religions often do, its casues arguement and then bickerey. So, if you want to have a discussion about bruce that will last more than a day then here is my suggestion to you. Be polite, provide a discussion based on facts, and have a civil adult discussion or take it elsewhere. Sorry to have to do it but, then again, its my time that gets wasted in the editing process, not yours. Thank you.
Posted by: Cantwell

Re: Attention All :Threads on the late great Bruce - 05/19/05 08:01 PM

I agree completely with you. I recall Bruce Lee stopping his teachings of the art he created because he did not want it to turn into something that people studied extensively. He wanted it to be more about people, something that couldn't be learned.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Attention All :Threads on the late great Bruce Lee. - 05/19/05 10:25 PM

The main problem I see is that, just as with most JKD people, they would rather talk politics than actually spend time TRAINING.

Compared to most of the threads generated on the VAST majority of JKD forums, training regimens and training related questions receive very little bandwidth. It's amazing yet also very telling about the JKD "crowd" (in large part).

Lets get ON with it.

-John
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Attention All :Threads on the late great Bruce Lee. - 05/22/05 11:54 PM

Exactly
Posted by: kboxngrapple

Re: Attention All :Threads on the late great Bruce Lee. - 06/02/05 10:47 PM

Bruce Lee says its faster to intercept an attack rather than block it. What is that suppose to mean?
Posted by: nowayaswaylee

Re: Attention All :Threads on the late great Bruce Lee. - 06/03/05 10:33 AM

Quote:

Bruce Lee says its faster to intercept an attack rather than block it. What is that suppose to mean?

What i think he meant was that to attack your opponent before he got the chance to attack. When an opponent pulls back there hand, you can sense that they are going to punch you or something.

Another thing that could mean is, when your opponent attacks, you attack, but faster! One thing i have noticed is JKD really goes for speed. so if you hit your opponent first, then his attack should be "shocked", if not stoped compleletly.
Someone correct me if im wrong here!
Posted by: DefenselessChild

Re: Attention All :Threads on the late great Bruce Lee. - 06/03/05 06:00 PM

I think you're on the right track. Like when someone steps forward to hit you, you can intercept their attack by kicking their leg or something.
Posted by: Chief

Re: Attention All :Threads on the late great Bruce Lee. - 06/04/05 10:20 AM

Hello, this is my first ever post on the forum. I have recently taken up JKD/ self defence and so this is a very pertinent question. Do I hit first and ask questions later- or dodge, block and then strike if appropriate. My understanding of martial arts has always been that you strike only as a last resort while self defence would mean just that: defend and then scarper.
Quote:

He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Attention All :Threads on the late great Bruce Lee. - 06/15/05 05:43 PM

I'd say if you don't have to then don't, however, what if they can run faster than you... they are faster and you have your back to them...

There is also the point that if they try to strike first then they have broken the law. They break the law, you break their jaw (maybe not, but it rhymes!).

The other thing is it easier to say sorry than to ring your relatives from hospital (or the morgue).