Every single person who knows JKD, post here.

Posted by: Anonymous

Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/09/05 07:53 PM

I wanna see just how many people here actually know and use the principles.
Posted by: Chang Wufei

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/09/05 10:02 PM

To say you "know" Jeet Kune Do is not as accurate as to say you practice it.

I practice Jeet Kune Do, the weapons, the principles, and the philosophies behind it.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/10/05 03:30 PM

Is the proper terminology really that important to you, I get the feeling that you actually knew what I ment.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/10/05 06:06 PM

I practice JKD.

I study the methods and philosophy.

Bruce Lee never taught a single weapon to any student in his life.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/11/05 01:28 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oozuru:
Is the proper terminology really that important to you, I get the feeling that you actually knew what I ment.[/QUOTE]

Im sure he knew what you meant but the terminology is important. To imply that you "know" a system is to say that you have mastered it, in and out.

Ive been practicing for sometime but am far to humble to call myself a master. Im just a guy who can fight a little.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/11/05 03:11 PM

Bryagh-

If you read the Tao Jeet Kune Do, there is a "Weapons of Jeet Kune Do" section, towards the back. It lists some of the weapons (techniques) in Jeet Kune Do.

I'm assuming you interpreted "weapons" as in a foreign object?

[This message has been edited by Chang Wufei (edited 02-12-2005).]

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/12/05 01:19 PM

In sparring i've used some of the basic trapping techniques, works quiet well, i don't base my whole fighting structure on trapping, just say i sparr 3 min 6 rounds i might do about 15% trapping just to mix it up.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/12/05 01:39 PM

In sparring i've used some of the basic trapping techniques, works quiet well, i don't base my whole fighting structure on trapping, just say i sparr 3 min 6 rounds i might do about 15% trapping just to mix it up.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/12/05 02:33 PM

Oozuru,

I'm married, can I still post on this thread?

oldman.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/12/05 03:58 PM

I guess we'll let you Oldman! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/12/05 05:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oldman:
Oozuru,

I'm married, can I still post on this thread?

oldman.
[/QUOTE]

WTH, married, what's that got to do with anything? Allright, I think that came on as 'harsh', but I know someone who I wanna get married to. Actually, after last night I don't know if getting married is really up to me anymore if you know what I mean. Kinda sucks that I couldn't even wait till 25. Any way if you know a little or have mastered it yeah post here on the dotted line.

------

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/14/05 01:39 PM

Yup Chen Zen, it was a misunderstanding. Sorry to jump to conclusions.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/14/05 06:51 PM

I think you may mean Chang but thanks all the same.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/14/05 08:17 PM

Hey there...I have been practicing the martial art of Jun Fan Gung Fu / Jeet Kune Do since 1998. Good stuff all the way around. I train under Raffi Derderian ( http://derderian-academy.com ) who is from the following lineage:

Lee->Inosanto->Seaman->Derderian.

This summer I am shedualed to go for my black sash exam and if all goes as planned (Mr. Murphy, stay out of this!)I will pass it.

Thanks for the opportunity to spew...
Regards,
Walt

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/27/05 06:22 PM

I post here.

"I'm made of iron, steel, and various grains."

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/27/05 10:28 PM

by being non exclusive jkd kinda has to include weapons doesnt it? oh darn i forgot i dont "know" jkd. oh wait, well i did meet him in a bar once, nice guy, didnt talk much though.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/27/05 10:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chen Zen:
I think you may mean Chang but thanks all the same.[/QUOTE]

Chen Zen, Chang Wufei.. Ive been meaning to ask, are you guys related??

Its just that you look so alike...

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/27/05 11:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shonuff:
Chen Zen, Chang Wufei.. Ive been meaning to ask, are you guys related??

Its just that you look so alike...
[/QUOTE]

I dont know how you could mix us up when Im obviously much better looking. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 02/28/05 01:36 AM

i started into ma because of bl, and began to study jkd as a result. It started with reading the book, tojkd. What i gleaned was that there were tools (punches, kicks, grappling techs), and tactics, (the five ways.) This was very eye opening because it allowed me to teach myself, punching and kicking the heavy bag, sparring with friends, etc. THe maturing of the internet made this a lot easier too, because you can google any technique and find out how to do it. SInce then i'm basically into sparring and wrestling and experimentation. DO i still consider what i do JKD? Yes, one, to pay homage to bruce, and two, because it is my personal search for the truth of combat.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 03/04/05 08:45 AM

you can never know JKD because it happens in a fight not before it. you can train your body-mind and soul but after that its all free-style [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif[/IMG]

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 03/04/05 08:46 PM

Jeet Kune Do was like the philosophy I was coming up with and then suddenly found all laid out for me. So, yes. I practice it.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 03/20/05 02:26 PM

I know and PRACTICE JKD. Yes, unlike many here I actually train JKD. There's only a small minority that have a traceable line to Bruce. Now lineage isn't a big deal, nor should it be one. However, with armchair JKD guys running wild on message boards, it's important to be able to discern those that have merit behind their arguments. If what you do violates one of the principles of jkd, yes principles; then you'r not doing it. IF you're inspired by jkd to move in the direction, you're moving, and it really diverges from JKD then call it something else; what's the harm in that? Afraid of not making that quick buck? I respect those that go their own way after having experienced jkd , but more respect to those that give credit for their own personal innovations and giving themselves their due and not hanging onto the jkd name.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 03/22/05 05:17 PM

fluid_motion, I totally agree. I practice jkd, and live it.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 03/22/05 07:32 PM

What "IS" JKD?

I'll say this much; I can sum it up in ONE sentence.

-John

[This message has been edited by JKogas (edited 03-22-2005).]

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/01/05 06:11 PM

I have practiced Jeet Kune for 7 years with additional training in my personal favorite form of the art, trapping. JKD is mastering not only the physical forms (fluidity, constant movement, simplistic movement,etc.) but also applying the correct mentality (strategies, tactics, etc.) JKD is a collection of the most effective techniques, with the most effective and intuitive philosophies, and using whatever works. To sum it all up, JKD is the best possible action.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/01/05 08:05 PM

Anyone else care to post their thoughts about what JKD is, aside from Chen Zen (because he's clued in)?

-John

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/01/05 11:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chen Zen:
I dont know how you could mix us up when Im obviously much better looking. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Hey hey hey! Ladies love the Chang!

By the way, is that Chen Zen as in Chen Zhen in Jet Li's Fist of Legend? I'm Curious Chang.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/02/05 01:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chang Wufei:
Hey hey hey! Ladies love the Chang!

By the way, is that Chen Zen as in Chen Zhen in Jet Li's Fist of Legend? I'm Curious Chang.
[/QUOTE]

Why, yes it is.

Thanks John. I wonder how many eyebrows raised when you said you could do it in one snetence?

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/03/05 06:20 PM

I don't know how you define JKD, because the founder said it was the style with no style. But I guess I could say I practice JKD, because I train with no perticular style or objective, just to get stronger. And basically defining JKD:

"Jeet kune do- the way of the intercepting fist.
Deformed, shapeless, like water. You put it into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle, You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend."

An exact quote from bruce lee himself. That is the only pricible of JKD, IMHO.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/04/05 06:09 AM

[QUOTE]"Jeet kune do- the way of the intercepting fist.
Deformed, shapeless, like water. You put it into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle, You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend."

An exact quote from bruce lee himself. That is the only pricible of JKD, IMHO.
[/QUOTE]

It's not the only principle of JKD. The understanding of JKD is a direct intuition of this unity. Truth cannot be perceived until we have come to hill understanding of our selves and our potential. According to Lee, knowledge in the martial arts ultimately means self- knowledge.

One of the main principle or concept (I would call them guidelines) is:

- Use what is most effective and suits your
unique characteristics the best.

Then you have the following:

- Simplicity: Use your body the most
effective way, spare your energy, thus use
only movement that are effective. Hack away
all, extra's that are not usefull for you.

"Take what you can use, discard all the rest and make it your own"

- To be bound by no style and in combat to
use no style as style, to use no way as
way, to use no system as system. to have no
limitation as your limit. Thus to free
yourself from singleminded view (also
helpfull throughout your entire life).

Now to come back to why I called the "principles", guidelines...

The knowledge derived from any one field can help the individual in every other field. In other words, the principles of Jeet Kune Do involve using certain ideas, techniques and approaches to life whenever appropriate (And fit for you only, thus they are guidelines).

Anyone have a comment on this?

Grtz Randy

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/04/05 06:22 AM

In my thinking, JKD is the "pursuit of truth in combat".

It's really that simple. Everything else tends to, more or less, describe the nature or qualities that one should have as a fighter. However the very crux of exactly "what is" JKD can be find within that one sentence.

And that one sentence contains a WEALTH of information, if you think it through. In short, the truth is not one's opinion of the truth or, one's theories regarding the truth - but what IS the truth in combat.

And to discover JKD (as it cannot be taught, because it is different for everyone) is to research what this truth is.

How does one go about doing that (again, I'm not looking for Chen Zen's answer)

-John

[This message has been edited by JKogas (edited 04-04-2005).]

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/04/05 08:00 AM

I think that to describe JKD is in this sentence to...

"Jeet Kune Do IS"

Mind you that I mean it per individual.

And you are right saying that it is finding truth through combat. I just can't state it enough that it is not but one truth... You catch my drift?

Grtz Randy

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/07/05 12:30 AM

I learned techniques from various martial arts, but when I really do get into a fight, I follow the principles of Jeet Kune Do, I try to intercept the attack (counter, as some people might call it) , instead of leaving my self vulnerable by charging towards someone

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/08/05 11:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:
(again, I'm not looking for Chen Zen's answer)

-John

[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG] LMAO Whats this world comin to? Banned on my own forum.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/08/05 03:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:
In my thinking, JKD is the "pursuit of truth in combat".......

How does one go about doing that (again, I'm not looking for Chen Zen's answer)

-John

[/QUOTE]

OK John, everyone say it all at once....

"By training with aliveness, against a resisting opponent"

That way we KNOW what works, instead of just "believing" what works because we train in a "dead" manner without any aliveness.

For BONUS points:

I want to add that we should train in ALL the fighting ranges, using high percentage techniques!

How did I do?

- KiDoHae [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

PS: John, I swear I've been paying attention.

[This message has been edited by KiDoHae (edited 04-08-2005).]

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/09/05 09:24 PM

I have been teaching for around 30 years. anyone having questions about JKD can E mail me at rickmullinax@msn.com Web Site www.jeetkunedoacademy.com

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/09/05 09:30 PM

I have been teaching around 30 years. How many of you teach and how many of you study JKD in a JKD school? web site www.jeetkunedoacademy.com

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/09/05 09:51 PM

Hmmmm....

"JKD Instructor" or Mr. Mullinax, perhaps you might want to introduce yourself?

Your bio is interesting and you placed your web site (such as it is) in your first two posts on the Fightingarts.com forum.

I would think that someone of your long experience can certainly add to our discussion here rather than coming across as engaging in some type of shabby adversing ploy.

This is an open forum, please feel free to join in.

- KiDoHae

[This message has been edited by KiDoHae (edited 04-09-2005).]

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/10/05 08:13 PM

Thank You, I put my wed address on the forum so if anyone wanted to see if we were what we say we are. After reading a lot of the information from the others, I have found that this forum is the best one around. I am glad to see that so many persons are talking about JKD. Back in the 1970`s we would get a lot of questions from martial arts people about JKD, and would have to prove JKD to a lot of martial art people. I am glad that the light has been open, and people see what JKD is all about. Rick Mullinax

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/14/05 02:18 PM

I have been training in JKD and the Fillipino martial arts for about 7 yrs, and one thing JKD is not is a lot of long over used explanations. Jkd was plain and simple Bruces personal expression of the martial arts, yes he used philosophy but that was not the cornerstone of the teachings, i have seen in this an many other forums about there is now "way" of jkd and if your doing this your doing jkd if your doing that your doing jkd.
If you have not attended a qualified school for jkd then you are not doing jkd period there is a curriculum you must learn and there are drills and then the student is guided with suggestions about training and drills and then there is the sparring sessions and in most schools weapons techniques are taught. If you just read the books and see the movies not to sound harsh but you are just using the tactics and techniques basically just tool development your not a self proclaimed jkd "prodigy".

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/14/05 02:24 PM

to answer your original question yes i have used it in the streets, and it has worked but jkd is not for everybody, if you prefer an offense based art then i highly recommend it cuz its street effective, but if your more defense oriented i would suggest karate or tae kwon do, remember all arts are great its the practicioner that makes or breaks them.

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/14/05 04:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oozuru:
I wanna see just how many people here actually know and use the principles.[/QUOTE]

I person must learn how trap, parry, foot work, take down, internal power drill. This is what we start a new student out doing, then we add kicks, boxing,ground fighting,ect. I teach orginal JKD as a start to the students, then I add from the other arts. then each student puts together what works for them. Rick Mullinax

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/15/05 03:09 PM

Hi, brand new to forum, and almost fainted when I saw this site. I have just started JKD, in a place that also teaches Kali-Escrima along side of it. Is there a place on the forums where I can introduce myself and have a few questions answered?

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/15/05 05:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rayman452:
Is there a place on the forums where I can introduce myself and have a few questions answered?[/QUOTE]

Feel free to do so right here! We're more than happy to assist.

-John

Re: Every single person who knows JKD, post here. - 04/16/05 11:15 AM

Do you mean like post in the forum, or post in this topic? I wouldnt want to flood this thread, but if thats what you mean, ill accept. Basically, Im going to go reading these forums for a few days to see what the general attitude is here, so I can fit in better. But a little about myself before I go browsing these forums.

I am a 14 year old Canadian guy with only around 2 years of Wing Chun training when I was young. I have recently started JKD and Kali-Escrima at a small club around my house. From what I hear, the place I go to is not a "McDojo"(meaning belts have to be earned?). The Canadian Athlete whom went to South Africa (Ill get his name) goes there to spar on the open gym days, and told my parents that that place is good and my Sifu is very good. The classes are relitivitly small, with only 5 people in my class now, and 15ish people in the other class. The club name is Point Blank, and my Sifu trained with Sifu/Kru Bobby Giordano and Richard Bustillo. If you want, I could show you our website. Question being here is, is this a good place jsut by the looks of it? Do any of you guys know how far up this training could take me? I really want to go to compition, such as UFC, although it sounds far fetched. Any comments here for me, or should I go join another club which teaches Olympic Style TKD?