Informationon Tom Toy/ White Eyebrow

Posted by: Chen Zen

Informationon Tom Toy/ White Eyebrow - 01/27/05 10:25 AM

Im not sure if that is spelled correctly or not but i have heard that Bruce trained in this and was wondering if anyone had imformation on this or the WHITE EYEBROW system.
Posted by: Chang Wufei

Re: Informationon Tom Toy/ White Eyebrow - 01/29/05 12:30 AM

Chen Zen-

Yes, Bruce did have training in Tom Toy. Tom Toy is mandarin for "Springing Legs". The Tom Toy or "springing leg" style is more modern in origin, said to be developed during the Ming Dynasty. (1368- 1644). Ten Routine Tom Toy is one of the most favorite martial arts enjoyed by the Hui peoples. Tom Toy was said to be developed by a Hui native of Xinjiang, in Northwest China, named Cha Shang Yir.

Please excuse the history lesson, but as far as the art, technique wise, The Tom Toy forms build up the body due to its strenuous demands for low body height, precise movements, and forceful execution. Also, it teaches such combat skills as springing, kicking, stamping, sweeping, thrusting, grappling, punching, pushing, hooking, sticking, etc. Body mechanics are coordinated so that maximum force is issued with smooth effectiveness and efficiency, much like in my JKD, and surely yours, so you can see where Bruce drew it from.

[This message has been edited by Chang Wufei (edited 01-29-2005).]

Re: Informationon Tom Toy/ White Eyebrow - 01/30/05 05:48 PM

Ah, very informative. Do you happen to know of any dojo's of quality in north america? Also do you know of White Eyebrow? Ive found hardly anything definitive on this.

Re: Informationon Tom Toy/ White Eyebrow - 01/31/05 02:42 AM

Where specifically in the U.S. would you be interested in lessons?

It's surprising, you're the first one I've heard in a while to mention Pak Mei. White Eyebrow (Pak Mei) Kung Fu is one of the rarest styles known. Pak Mei Kung Fu was concieved by the Taoist Monk Pak Mei, during the Ching Dynasty in China. Pak Mei Kung Fu is one of the only systems that combines both Shaolin and Taoist practices into a single fighting style. It's sort of a hybrid form of kung fu, I guess you could say.

One thing I like best about Pak Mei is the pace. Forms are either done with full power and at top speed, or with little power, emphasizing relaxed and fluid movements. There is no middle ground.

Re: Informationon Tom Toy/ White Eyebrow - 01/31/05 08:01 AM

Anywhere in the continental is fine as i plan to do some traveling in about a month, I simply havent set a location yet.

Hmmm. Interesting. I know of some "unknown" martail arts. I have a huge interest in them actually. I dont want everyone to know what I know. But I do want to know what they know. Strategy. Thanks for the info.

Re: Informationon Tom Toy/ White Eyebrow - 01/31/05 03:54 PM

There is a ring of four schools in Ohio:

Alva Ervin
Shaolin Kung Fu Institute
755 East Aurora Road
Macedonia, Ohio 44056
330-908-0770

Danny Hall
Wing Lam Kung Fu School
4917 Turney Road
Garfield Heights, Ohio 44125
216-341-1515

John H. Ervin Jr.
Wing Lam Kung Fu School
5100 St. Claire Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44103
216-431-4991

Gino Belfiore
26183 Chardon Road
Richmond Heights, Ohio 44143
216-732-7757

Gino and Alva are the Head Instructors.

Re: Informationon Tom Toy/ White Eyebrow - 02/01/05 12:52 AM

Excellent! yo are the man Chang. I think I may go with Alva. Hopefully, I can arrange something in person as I find that it is so much more rewarding than classes
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Informationon Tom Toy/ White Eyebrow - 02/01/05 06:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chang Wufei:
There is a ring of four schools in Ohio:

Alva Ervin
755 East Aurora Road
Macedonia, Ohio 44056
330-908-0770

Danny Hall
Wing Lam Kung Fu School
4917 Turney Road
Garfield Heights, Ohio 44125
216-341-1515

John H. Ervin Jr.
Wing Lam Kung Fu School
5100 St. Claire Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44103
216-431-4991

Gino Belfiore
26183 Chardon Road
Richmond Heights, Ohio 44143
216-732-7757

Gino and Alva are the Head Instructors.
[/QUOTE]

anything available in the southwest. AZ,NV, or Cali?

Re: Informationon Tom Toy/ White Eyebrow - 02/01/05 10:24 PM

Anytime Chen Zen. Please keep me posted on how the training goes.

Thaiboxer- Sorry, I don't know of any instructors in that area.

[This message has been edited by Chang Wufei (edited 02-01-2005).]

Re: Informationon Tom Toy/ White Eyebrow - 03/24/05 08:08 PM

I would not recommend those four ohio schools. They are known McDojos. These guys are master of buncha of styles( my spidey sense is tingling!). Plus these guys get certificate from seminars, next thing you know they're teaching it.

Re: Informationon Tom Toy/ White Eyebrow - 04/01/05 11:04 AM

I thought springing legs was one of the few muslim kung fu styles in China, and it originated in a Muslim district of northern China. I was also under the impression springing legs is the template for a lot of what is today called northern shaolin. I could be wrong though. There are different versions that contain 10, 12, or 18 parts of the form.
Posted by: kungfuhustler

Re: Informationon Tom Toy/ White Eyebrow - 08/06/11 07:56 PM

I agree. Dodgy group.