Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded?

Posted by: Anonymous

Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 01/25/05 09:13 PM

Hi there,
I am relatively new to martial arts appriciation, I.e. I have only really been watching Martial arts films such as Enter the dragon, crouching tiger hidden dsragon, once upon a time in china etc for about a year or two now.
In all these films I admire the corriography of the fighters and more then any I have come to respect both Bruce Lee and Jet Li more then any other martial arts practicioner I have seen.
My main thoughts are however, how trained and what reactions did the two of these guys have in terms of real full contact fighting, does the corography show the best or the worst of them, are their staggering moves down to just good design.
Any way my main question is that with your guys experience is there any way you can direct me on ways how to find recordings of fights involving Jet-Li and Bruce Lee and their abilities in fighting a real fight.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any replies will be appriciated!!!

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 01/26/05 11:06 AM

im not sure about bruce lee ahving any of his fights taped but i think jet li did in the early days ill see if i can fnd one for you

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 01/26/05 11:42 AM

That would be REALLY great of you, thanks so much... Jet Li is my fave martial artist ever, Bruce Lee was good as well but I am not so sure about his personality, Jet-Li is much more of a sort of Fans guy if you know what I mean.
Would be more then cool to see some fights he has been in, also what about Jackie Chan? I think I read he never really fought? hmm

Thanks AGAIN!!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 01/26/05 01:20 PM

well if you read bruce lees books and watch his docos you will see he had allot of street fights. so how can you record street fights? thats one of the reasons his parents shiped him to america, because he was getting into to much trouble in hong kong with fighting. and at the time in america they didn't have full contact tornaments, it was all point sparring no conctact, he didn't believe in that kind of fighting, and being a champion in the ring does not mean anything, there are to types of training either for the streets or for the ring.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 01/26/05 02:47 PM

Hey Reaka the thing bout Jet Li is that he trains hard but he does this solely for his career as a movie star and admits that he wouldnt be any good in a real fightas had no experience there. That doesnt doesnt mean hes a bad martial artist just not a good fighter (if u dont consider those things to be one and the same). Bruce Lee on the other hand was pretty good at fighting (arguable to many people on this forum) but i doubt that any of his real fight videos are avaiable as if these did exist Im sure they would be very very widespread and well known and not just on some random sites. There are however demonstratiosn that he did that arent part of any films and u can find these on nay doc regarding JKD. Or even a website have small compositions i think theres one on a site called www.jeetkunedo.narod.ru somewhere (in a foreign language)it also contains other other vids of people doing JKD, quite a few actually. The vid shows him doing the one inch punch a few times on some karetka, making a wing chun guy look silly on the pak sao, breaking a few boards, pulling a few forms and things (his early days for the job interview), pulling off two finger push ups (on one hand that is by the way (whattaguy!!!)) a little sparring in full padding with some karateka, a flash of him directing someone how to kick in enter the dragon, they show him in his coffin a tthe end (bit unneccessary IMO), and all this is with loud dance music in the back (accept no substitutes!). Also got (from cant remember where) a speed demonstration video Bruce punched with a quater of an inch of a karatekas face a few times and even in slow motion the punch you could just tell was very very quick. Check those out for inspiration. Hes top, what dont u like about his personality, hes bubbly....
I think Jackies a good fighter and trained extrememly well back in the day though Im not entirely sure about this on mpeg for our convenience.
Another thing is that the way these people fight in real life (i know for sure for bruce and jet li only knows this way of fighting) is different to the way they would fight in real life and this is simply to sell the films and make them pretty you see. Bruce gave the audience what they wanted, so not only the martial artist audience would appreciate what he was doing. Bruce incorporated a larger proportion of kicks in films (especially those directed to the facial region) and less close range punching and so on which isnt eye candy..... thats why u dont get wing chun movies smashing the boxoffice (or existingfor that matter). (Im not taking a shot at wing chun, some beleive real kung fu is not beautiful). Also in his books he said that sweep kicks (the ones that sweep across from lef to right in the right stance) are rarely used in JKD as lack power but look good in film, and watching the films he sweep kicks karateka in all directions in all his films. Hes also faster in real life as people wouldnt be able to catch everything in full speed, though this might only be in the scene of him vs. kareem in game of death(u want to be checking that film out if u havent already reala, actually it comes on a dosumentry dvd called 'bruce lee: a warriors journey' that contains some of the training videos that exist of him too).
SO their moves are real though in real life they might decide to use more devasting and rational attacks that are less pretty.
If ur interested in martial arts i suggest u follow them, im not gnna get into styles but (JKD JKD JKD ! ! !(not a style ahem))!! in my local slang..... martial art pursual is the BUSINESS!!

I hope this post gets no hostile comments for any comments on it......... Ayub

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 01/27/05 08:29 AM

ops read wrong

[This message has been edited by dpstudio (edited 01-27-2005).]
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 01/27/05 10:18 AM

The improtant thing for new people to remember is that alot of what you see in the movies is simply Hollywood. Now, while they might be used in a real confrontation, there are much simpler,, more effective ways of doing things.

As for "REAL" fight vids, I dont know of an but thats ok. Ive seen the demonstrations (Bruce's) and that was enough to sell me on his abilities as a martial arts technician. Rather that means he can fight is debatable but I think it would at least give him a good chance of success.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 01/27/05 01:41 PM

As for "REAL" fight vids, I dont know of an but thats ok. Ive seen the demonstrations (Bruce's) and that was enough to sell me on his abilities as a martial arts technician. Rather that means he can fight is debatable but I think it would at least give him a good chance of success.

Chen Zen you just condradicted your self. here is another quote

Before any of you post on how great he was in the ring or on the street ask yourself one thing first: Was I there? Do I know for fact or did I just hear this on some site or from some fan?

having a discussion on Bruce's abil;ities is like having a discussion on whether God truly exists. People believe what they will and wont be swayed one way or the other. Therefore discussion is pointless. The mans dead and gone. Let him rest.

First of all, his abilities are questionable. He had no Professional fights. No one here ever worked directly with Bruce. So we have no concrete evidence for his abilities.

one min you say that his abilities are questionable and the next your saying
that his abilities have sold you?. and your saying its debatible if he can fight, thats like saying the samurai warriors can they fight? was i there? they had no recorded fights...

do you believe in einstein theory? they could have been someone elses? where we there?(just an example)

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 01/27/05 03:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FCFS:

Chen Zen you just condradicted your self. here is another quote

Before any of you post on how great he was in the ring or on the street ask yourself one thing first: Was I there? Do I know for fact or did I just hear this on some site or from some fan?

having a discussion on Bruce's abil;ities is like having a discussion on whether God truly exists. People believe what they will and wont be swayed one way or the other. Therefore discussion is pointless. The mans dead and gone. Let him rest.

First of all, his abilities are questionable. He had no Professional fights. No one here ever worked directly with Bruce. So we have no concrete evidence for his abilities.

one min you say that his abilities are questionable and the next your saying
that his abilities have sold you?. and your saying its debatible if he can fight, thats like saying the samurai warriors can they fight? was i there? they had no recorded fights...

do you believe in einstein theory? they could have been someone elses? where we there?(just an example)

[/QUOTE]

Its one thing to say" I think he can fight"
Its a wholly different deal to say I know he can fight. That was why I asked the things I did. It was due to the discussion at hand on whether he could beat another MA or if he was the best ever. Looking at the thoughts and actions and saying I think is one thing. Listening to rumors and stories and saying I know is totally different and not a smart thing to do.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 01/28/05 12:27 PM

true, so linda lee, chuck norris, dan inosanto, kareem, so why do you think all those people saw bruce back in the day say all those things about bruce? what do you think, at the time he was one of the best. but now days with all the cross training people do how would bruce go against them? its a hard one

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 01/30/05 05:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FCFS:
true, so linda lee, chuck norris, dan inosanto, kareem, so why do you think all those people saw bruce back in the day say all those things about bruce? what do you think, at the time he was one of the best. but now days with all the cross training people do how would bruce go against them? its a hard one[/QUOTE]

Sure, He probably was the best at his time. He was an innovative thinker who thought outside the box and didnt let the politics of the martial arts and the rest of his world stand in his pursuit to what held true for him. His training was the best there was at the time.

Its a whole different world now. The fighters are bigger, they have more available to them, as far as information and nutrition goes, and tons of people have started cross training realizing that a single range game isnt going to cut it. So Sure he would definately have an equal out there. Not to mention that he would be a rather old man now.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 02/05/05 06:04 PM

If Bruce had lived, he'd be the best martial artist ever. Look what he did in twenty years.. imagine thirty or forty! He woulda learned more, then learned more, then dropped a style and learned more, practiced his JKD, then learned more... he was a damned intelligent man, afterall.

- Op. Skinny Ninja

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 02/05/05 10:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OperationSkinnyNinja:
If Bruce had lived, he'd be the best martial artist ever. Look what he did in twenty years.. imagine thirty or forty! He woulda learned more, then learned more, then dropped a style and learned more, practiced his JKD, then learned more... he was a damned intelligent man, afterall.

- Op. Skinny Ninja
[/QUOTE]
Sure he was nearly a genius. However, nothing, not even brains, can slow down the clock.
Posted by: Chang Wufei

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 02/05/05 10:40 PM

Well, as far as fight videos as sanctioned ring fights, you aren't going to find anything on the two. Bruce Lee never entered any tournaments or competitions, and the closest thing you would find to a sanctioned ring fight would be a video of the Wong Jack Man fight...good luck...

But Jet Li has countless demonstration videos floating all over the internet, use iMesh, or the dreaded Kazaa, or whatever you like. That is where I have gotten most of my demonstration/fight videos from.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 02/06/05 07:29 PM

I have a DVD. I think it is called "Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do". It showed Bruce giving one-on-one training to one of his clients. It also had the sparring that Ayub was talking about. There was really old footage of Bruce Lee doing Wing Chun with some people and if you play it really slow you can see is trapping techniques pretty good.

Also, when it mentioned Bruce Lee's childhood and streetfighting past, it had an extremely grainy clip of two Chinese kids fighting in a lot with a fair amount of other kids standing and watching. I don't know if it was actually Bruce Lee fighting, but it was easy to see it as him. The kid was pretty fast, and very aggressive.

Any way check it out. I got mine at Best Buy.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 02/08/05 09:00 PM

Bruce lee, although he might not have made any instruction videos, he did make some books. I am sure you know of them by now, but if you take them sersously and read everything!, you might learn something. There is a lot of valuable information to be told. Although, there is not much, some vital parts of jeet kune do can be learned. It will cost you a little, but the information is valuable.

I just recommend these to you and can't promise anything.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 02/21/05 01:32 PM

we can say he cant fight or never worked with anyone, but the evidence is that taki kimura, dan inosanto, james lee, etc. all worked with him and are all phenomenal martial artists. Jhoon Rhee (who is known for stout traditionalism and being one of the greatest fo his time) thought bruce was one of the best. Bob wall recounting bruces fight on enter the dragon was impressive(considering bob wall and bruce were not friends) So debate all you want, but remember that if bruce hadnt been a great fighter or a huge fake, whatever you want to believe, martial arts in this country would have dried up, and we would all be karatekas using knife chops and horse stances, and there would be no nhb or jkd, and all other martial arts would be practiced on a miniscule scale. at the very least he exploded the martial arts community with popularity.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 02/28/05 03:01 AM

also realize that, building on the previous post, that his students are all very good, high level martial artists, and they all say they still don't fully grok everything he did. They were taught these principles, but bruce actually FELT them, knew them from the inside out. He discovered them in his own experimentation. THe fact that he was the source for so much of this is enough for me. And as far as his weight goes, i am of the thory that it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Royce gracie demonstrated this to great effect against fighters much larger than him. Bruce could hit HARD, and he could move very fast. And on top of that, he was very, very intelligent. It was his mind that made him so great. it was his mind that made him train so hard, to be fast, strong, flexible, 'like water', etc. Remember he trained himself. He was a self motivated animal. That alone is pretty amazing.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 03/17/05 01:19 AM

First of all bruce is a kung ful master, he trained the best of the best, he beaten a shaolin master in 3 mins to win the rights to train americans. he is a legend before he died.

Secondly he mastered alot of weapons that he uses in movies. If you watch his ability to use numchucks you will see that the directors had to make him slow down his moves with the weapon and even then they were very fast.

No one trained as much as bruce lee did because I dont think anyone is as devoted as he was to the martial arts. He appreciated every Martial Art but only used what worked for him. If he can beat a shoalin Master then he is the best even now if he was alive he would perfect his art. Jet Li won national wushu championship when he started at 8 and won his first at age 11. He also coached for the olympics in wushu I believe but I doubt he can beat a shoalin master. There knowledge of the art is to great and there training is one of many that only a few can do.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 03/17/05 08:42 PM

Yeah, Bruce was God, we know [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

By the way, the fight to train the Quillo was Hollywood propaganda. I wish these Bruce junkies would at least do more research than watching Dragon The Bruce Lee Story. It wasnt even that good of a movie not to mention chock full of Hollywood BS.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 03/19/05 09:47 AM

I know that i wasn't around to train with bruce, but I have direct lineage fourth generation from Bruce. As for Bruce being able to compete with mma today, I'd say he was physically perfect and trained to fight people with two arms, two legs. I doubt that mma fighters today have learned any "secrets" that weren't around thirty years ago.
In china there is an old custom for challenging others. I know that Bruce was often scrutinized in China and hated by other martial artists. there were many that would often challenge him in the street. These fights were never recorded.
As for Jackie Chan, he is a great entertainer, and martial artist. He is a master at his work, watch his footwork!! Footwork is key to learning if they are really any good.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 03/20/05 03:05 PM

I saw some clippings of him fighting on a dvd that i borrowed from a friend, one of the clippings he was wearing a bunch of sparring gear, the mask/head gear looked like a kendo helmet.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 03/20/05 08:40 PM

I saw that too, Grant. I thought it was pretty impressive. He was quick as hell. I can see what he was doing was reacting to every single thing his opponent did, such as stepping back when he saw movement, countering if the attacker kept coming forward, and if the attacker didn't, he'd use that hesitation to his advantage by coming forward with a straight hit. The sparring gear was quite hilarious though.

[This message has been edited by The Train (edited 03-20-2005).]

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 04/05/05 12:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chen Zen:
Yeah, Bruce was God, we know [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

By the way, the fight to train the Quillo was Hollywood propaganda. I wish these Bruce junkies would at least do more research than watching Dragon The Bruce Lee Story. It wasnt even that good of a movie not to mention chock full of Hollywood BS.
[/QUOTE]

Actually I didn't think the movie was all that bad (I like the soundtrack). It was entertaining, but not very accurate. I've seen other versions of Bruce Lee story movies and they're so cheezy. There were some cheezy scenes in the Hollywood version too like the fight scene with the cooks(were the cooks supposed to be professional martial artist or something?) and the fight scene at the end with that stone samurai.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 04/05/05 12:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hardrock:

[/QUOTE]

Whatever happend to Jason Scott Lee?(the actor that played Bruce).

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 04/05/05 01:11 AM

Every time someone does something just because bruce did it,a fairy dies.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 04/10/05 11:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hedgehogey:
Every time someone does something just because bruce did it,a fairy dies.[/QUOTE]
Right pal, and my eyes bled....

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 04/26/05 06:18 AM

Its true burce did fight some1 to train non asians and of course bruce won.. Bruce was the best no doubtie it's just something perhaps god gave him extra whatever it may be, when some1 all around the world describes a good fighter he might refer to him as like Bruce Lee aka Brus Liu, what people don't know is that the man was extremely powerful find me another human being who can do 2 finger pushups they way bruce lee did if you were going to fight against bruce there would be no way for you to move fast enough to avoid getting hit by the deadliest JKD punch from the master himself.. Maybe u should listen to the famous people of that time, when asked muhammed Ali said hell no i ain't neva getting in the ring with LEE..
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 04/26/05 07:08 AM

The only documented fight Bruce Lee had, that I know of, was a boxing match back in school. Not sure if it was video recorded, but there are pictures out there of it. I want to say he was in his early teens. He took on the current champ. The thing that I liked was that even then he refused to train the way the trainers wanted him to train. He wanted to do it, "his way" (sound familiar?)

The bout started and after Bruce got hit a few times and cornered, he got pissed off, started cursing and swinging wildly! Needless to say at the end of bout a new champ was born.

Edit: It was 1958 and Bruce, who was 18 at the time, entered the Boxing Championships and defeats the reigning three year champion,
Gary Elms.

[This message has been edited by DragonFire1134 (edited 04-26-2005).]

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 04/26/05 05:02 PM

[/QUOTE]

This doods a poser..You honestly telling me someone out there can defeat Bruce? If you are.. your just a liar.. No one can touch Bruce Lee. Thats the truth.. get ya hater self away from Bruce.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 04/26/05 06:31 PM

Its a whole different world now. The fighters are bigger[/QUOTE]

Since when has being bigger ever made you a better fighter Chen? Fighters are bigger now and so Bruce Lee would be average today? Great logic

they have more available to them, as far as information and nutrition goes[/QUOTE]

And this makes you a better street-fighter how? Take your vitamin pills and you can beat Bruce Lee?

tons of people have started cross training realizing that a single range game isnt going to cut it[/QUOTE]

Range game? Bruce Lee's fighting philosophy wasn't born out of some idea that he needed multiple ranges that were missing in other approaches to fighting.

I'm not really sure that the concepts Bruce Lee advocated and attempted to express via his body are even largely present in martial arts these days. They were barely present while he was alive.

You just have to look at this form, and what people interpret Wing Chun concepts of JKD concepts as meaning to see that they are largely misunderstood. And if people understand them, it is debatable how many of us even manage to pursue them to their conclusions.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 04/26/05 07:14 PM

Look. I respect Bruce very much; but I don't hold him as a sacred cow; I never did, nor will I ever. But to say that he was a demigod, is just pushing it into fandom. How old are you? Why do you act so freaking childish on a serious board like this. This is not a Bruce Lee forum; instead, it's a FIGHTING ARTS forum, and this section deals with his ART and SCIENCE that is Jeet Kune Do.

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 04/26/05 10:16 PM

^ this dood is a comedian.. he thinks he has the "OPPORTUNITY" to become as good or surpass Bruce Lee..

Yes I do have a video of Bruce Lee sparring recorded. I only have 1... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG] can't find any others... its not really long either.. its about 15 seconds of him fighting another dood and in 4 punches the other dood is knocked out like he got ranned over with a train..

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 04/27/05 04:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fluid_Motion:
Look. I respect Bruce very much; but I don't hold him as a sacred cow; I never did, nor will I ever. But to say that he was a demigod, is just pushing it into fandom. How old are you? Why do you act so freaking childish on a serious board like this. This is not a Bruce Lee forum; instead, it's a FIGHTING ARTS forum, and this section deals with his ART and SCIENCE that is Jeet Kune Do. [/QUOTE]I have a video clip that shows bruce kickn some ass in what appears to be a fist locked along with other clips of sparring. The proof is out there bruces punching was unmatched u can have some1 hit as hard as bruce perhaps but there would have to be a lot of muscle behind it which would make that person big heavy clumpsy and unable to move fast enough, bruce lee fought during filiming many times and kicked some ass rather quickly since they had no protection, i dont think u'd wanna fight against lee with no protection. So don't hate appriciate and be ur self cause u'll never be better then Bruce Lee

Re: Did Bruce Lee or Jet Li have any of their fights recorded? - 04/29/05 04:16 AM

Another thread down the drain. This isnt a forum in dedication to Bruce. It isnt about Bruce or worship of Bruce. Its a forum in pursuit of the truth in hand to hand combat, and how it relates to JKD. No more no less. I could care less how a dead man lived his life, because I live my own life, my own way. What worked for Bruce, was being Bruce, just like what works for me is just being me and is likely to only work for me. Instead of worshipping a dead man who was glorified to near god status by his death, get a life. Get to know yourself and look for the truth instead of copying what one man did like it was the one and only way set in stone. You would think that Bruce Lee junkies would at least know that he wants that. Thread closed. Thanks guys.