JKD vs. TKD?????

Posted by: Anonymous

JKD vs. TKD????? - 01/25/05 12:14 PM

which do you think is better in a MMA contest TKD or JKD.

personally i think JKD as it has a lot of different concepts making its structure but i'd like to now what you think

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 01/25/05 01:46 PM

Depends on the practitioner and so on...............

Stay away from the word 'better'. Also if one was able to address the question,Ayub JKD is different from person to person so can't be compared to anything as a whole anyways.

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 01/25/05 01:53 PM

please disregard my name in there.....

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 01/26/05 01:33 PM

each persons diffrent. so you can't say one style is better than the other they all have good points and bad points.just say both fighters are perfect in there style, take away the hands of both oponents and i'd say the tkd fighter would have a good chance of winning, take away the legs the jkd figher would have a good chance of winning. who knows?
Posted by: Chang Wufei

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 01/26/05 03:02 PM

I'm not going into the whole style-slanting deal, God knows we have all had our share of that, but...

In a mixed martial arts competition, given that the two practitioners are at the same level of their styles, and relatively same physical condition, Jeet Kune Do would make a mockery out of Tae Kwon Do.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 01/27/05 10:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chang Wufei:
I'm not going into the whole style-slanting deal, God knows we have all had our share of that, but...

In a mixed martial arts competition, given that the two practitioners are at the same level of their styles, and relatively same physical condition, Jeet Kune Do would make a mockery out of Tae Kwon Do.
[/QUOTE]

As a former TKD artist before moving to JKD, I agree. My TKD was very, very good, but nothing like my JKD training. However, a real JKD guy isnt going to enter a contest with rules as it goes against his style.

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 01/29/05 05:38 PM

Although it does come down to the individual, let's just say my money would be on the JKD guy.

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 02/21/05 01:50 PM

no no ive got it, who would win in a fight, a wild polar bear, or a polar bear from the zoo. A fighter, or a guy wha has forgotten how to fight and was retaught by someone who has no idea how a polar bear fights?

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 02/22/05 02:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by martialway:
no no ive got it, who would win in a fight, a wild polar bear, or a polar bear from the zoo. A fighter, or a guy wha has forgotten how to fight and was retaught by someone who has no idea how a polar bear fights?[/QUOTE]

The polar bear from the zoo, because it is so pissed of and it lets all the aggression out on the wild polar bear. Also in the zoo it had plenty of time to practice martial arts because food was handed to it :-)
Posted by: JKogas

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 02/22/05 04:11 AM

I take the notion that a JKD practitioner should be able to fight in ANY environment. That would mean, he should be able to fight with rules or WITHOUT rules and be able to perform just as well.

It would be a silly notion to say, "well, I can't fight well within the rules because I would get my butt kicked. But without rules, watch out".

That wouldn't make any sense. If you can't fight within the rules, you'll not do any better when there aren't any. I just don't buy the notion that "rules" have any influence on one's ability to "perform". If you can perform, you can perform and it doesn't matter what environment you're performing within. A JKD fighter is supposed to be adaptable to any and every circumstance anyway.

Some would argue (and I would be one of them) that many of fighters within the UFC are already "JKD" guys.

As far as TKD having any success; any "pure" TKD fighter wouldn't have much of a chance.

-John

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 02/24/05 02:21 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:

That wouldn't make any sense. If you can't fight within the rules, you'll not do any better when there aren't any. I just don't buy the notion that "rules" have any influence on one's ability to "perform". If you can perform, you can perform and it doesn't matter what environment you're performing within. A JKD fighter is supposed to be adaptable to any and every circumstance anyway...

...As far as TKD having any success; any "pure" TKD fighter wouldn't have much of a chance.

-John
[/QUOTE]

Ok, lets make it interesting then. A JKD fighter vs a TKD fighter, in an Olympic TKD rules match... who would win?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 02/24/05 04:45 AM

The person who best prepared for the event. It would probably be the TKD guy because the JKD guy would probably get disqualified.

j/k

The person who was more prepared would likely have the advantage. Isn't the sensible to think?

Of course, I don't really think of Olympic TKD as fighting. It's more like a game of tag we played as children. Who would win a game of tag? Anyone who was able to make contact the most times and say "you're it".

-John

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 02/24/05 06:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:
The person who best prepared for the event. It would probably be the TKD guy because the JKD guy would probably get disqualified.

j/k

The person who was more prepared would likely have the advantage. Isn't the sensible to think?

Of course, I don't really think of Olympic TKD as fighting. It's more like a game of tag we played as children. Who would win a game of tag? Anyone who was able to make contact the most times and say "you're it".

-John
[/QUOTE]

lol

Thats only because they are good, and the scoring system has gotten lax. WTF is full contact.

Btw I absolutely agree, he who is most prepared will win... kinda negates the whole one style beats another argument doesnt it?

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 02/28/05 04:06 PM

As a TKD practitioner I'd have to go with JKD. JKD training generally involves much boader training than TKD. Now throw in Hapkido and you've got a very even match.

I'm just talking techniques here. And assuming all other things are equal in this matchup.

Take someone trained in hand and foot striking and match him with someone trained in essentially the same hand and foot strikes but also in grappling, throwing, locking, etc. Obviously the second guy is going to have a large advantage. Simple as that.
Posted by: Dfox

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 03/02/05 02:30 AM

aw man what the... I was told no one style is going to be totally effective or efficient for you whether its sport or real fighting unless you made the style yourself. I never took TKD but I dont think there is enough where when and why in tkd

[This message has been edited by Dfox (edited 03-02-2005).]

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 03/02/05 05:32 PM

Having done TKD for quite a long time, I'd have to say the only thing determining whether the TKD guy would have a chance would be whether he had good punches (yes we can also punch).

I personally think the best techniques in TKD are punches, elbows (to the chin/temple/floating-rib), knees (solar plexus) and kicks (knee height).

That said, most people do not train these techniques in TKD.

Also the lack of grappling would have to be compensated for unless the TKD guy was above 2nd Dan and not from a McDoujang.

If he does get a kick to contact though (as if) it'll hurt like hell.

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 03/04/05 03:38 PM

What motive these art vs art quarrels really drive? http://www.sulis.net/itfwtf.htm
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 03/06/05 05:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Neonomide:
What motive these art vs art quarrels really drive? http://www.sulis.net/itfwtf.htm [/QUOTE]

good

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 04/04/05 07:29 AM

very good ;-) I like that...

Re: JKD vs. TKD????? - 04/14/05 02:32 PM

your question is a weird one but if there both at the top of their game the better conditioned athlete or fighter would have the advantage if both martial artists are exceptional it all comes down to conditioning, anyone who thinks one art is better than the other is very immature in the martial arts and hasnt learned that its not the art but the practicioner that makes or breaks the arts reputation.