who opened bruce lees eyes

Posted by: Anonymous

who opened bruce lees eyes - 01/22/05 11:55 PM

i saw a freind of mine the other day, he tells me he started american kempo karate here in australia, and what they told him is the founder of american kempo karate was the one who opened his eyes to his way of fighting. now i've read allot of bruce lee books and allot of docos of bruce lee and in my readings and reserach have not read anything about the kempo karate guy who opened his eyes. my belief is bruce opened his own eyes ?................
Posted by: JKogas

Re: who opened bruce lees eyes - 01/23/05 07:06 AM

Bruce trained under Yip Man and had been a wing chun man pretty much.

In America at some point, he met Ed Parker and they became friends although it's never been said that Parker had ANY influence on Lee as a martial artist.

-John

Re: who opened bruce lees eyes - 01/23/05 09:12 AM

Ed Parker was a highly regarded and well connected martial artist at the time he met Bruce Lee.

Through Ed Parker, Bruce was able to meet and train with many high level MA people of that era.

I personally believe that there was an exchange of information between all these people, so you could say that his "eyes were opened", by meeting them.

I don't think tht Ed Parker "opened" Bruce's eyes anymore than Bruce did himself, however.

As JKogas said, Bruce was already trained in WC and reportedly had been in several streetfights by that point.

Re: who opened bruce lees eyes - 01/24/05 01:02 AM

man i thought so, but its funny how people say these things. it anoys me......

Re: who opened bruce lees eyes - 02/01/05 01:51 AM

well, bruce start learning ma when he get beat up by some thugs, i guess the thugs who open his eyes...

Re: who opened bruce lees eyes - 02/01/05 12:27 PM

him getting beat up would of been back in hongkong before he started any kind of ma? because i know the turning point of his ma training was when he had that chalange, that when he came to understand that he needed to change his training methods.