Muay Thi vs TWD vs JKD

Posted by: Anonymous

Muay Thi vs TWD vs JKD - 01/06/05 04:18 AM

Hi guys,
I'm a starter i.e. I want to learn any martial arts.
I have decided between TWD or Muay Thai.
(OR) JKD under Paul Vunak.
I want the art to help me in real life situations as well.
Does Muay Thai offer a wide range of kicks as TWD does. Please guide me.
Thanks and Regards,
Mouli

Re: Muay Thi vs TWD vs JKD - 01/06/05 11:05 AM

I cant tell you what to pick but I will tell you what I'd do. I'd go with JKD mainly because it isnt sport, covers all ranges and weapons defense and gets you fit and helps prepare you mentally. Its not really the method but the individual that makes it work. Build the art around your strengths and it will work for you.

Re: Muay Thi vs TWD vs JKD - 01/08/05 11:35 AM

what AgenT said to you is true but remember to get good efective kicks takes a long time i've been training in martial arts for about 15 years and still learning i started with taekwondo then i did kickboxing after that i did boxing then grappling and now i'm studing trapping remember no martial art is the best martial art i would never base my self defence around taekwondo its embarissing the only thing i got out of teakwondo was my kicks. here in australia there are 2 types of taekwondo ITF, Teakwondo australia, ITF teakwondo is not olympic its more about tradition they base their style around the back stnce, which i belive is to slow i'm not saying its wrong thats what i belive, Teakondo australia is olympic, they are both very diffrent. i did the olympic style. taekwondo helped me in kickboxing and footwork. at the time i started kickboxing i punched like a girl. it took me at least 6 months to get my hands to the basic level, then i trained in boxing, that improved my punches by 100 percent, then my ground fighting was not good so i had to learn grappling and now i'm doing trapping. so you see it takes allot of years. my wife won't let me go in the ring anymore because we have kids, so i direct my energy to teaching opened up my school its not a style i don't beleve in styles its more of a system of tools, i just teach the tools of the body its then up to the individual to develop there own way of fighting, because everyone has diffrent attributes.remember a punch is a punch and a kick is a kick. i hope i have helped you in any way.