Learn JKD on your own

Posted by: Anonymous

Learn JKD on your own - 12/31/04 09:22 AM

im new and ive been interested in learning jeet kun do. i do not have any trainers near me or even in my county so i was wondering if you guys can reccommend a book or some advice on me possibley learning this style on my own.

Re: Learn JKD on your own - 12/31/04 09:42 AM

I would suggest that instead of trying to train yourself, check out the local MA schools in your area, and train at one you like.

Don't worry too much about what "style" it is.

The basics of fighting are pretty much universal. Get a good base in one style, then you can look to train in others to fill in the gaps. Do it yourself JKD! LOL!

Read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do if you have not already.

Re: Learn JKD on your own - 12/31/04 11:43 PM

I'd try starting with western boxing or kickboxing. This will teach correct punching/kicking/footwork etc and also get you fighting fit. This is a good start to self training Jkd.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Learn JKD on your own - 01/01/05 07:05 AM

I agree with both responses, although I would personally recommend that you lean toward a school teaching boxing/kick-boxing/muay Thai.

It would be a good idea find a Brazilian jiu-jitsu school that also teaches boxing/kickboxing. That way you're getting everything you need.

There ARE videos you can purchase to help. I personally recommend Matt Thornton's "Functional JKD Series II".

Check that series out here:
http://www.straightblastgym.com/videoinfo.htm#JKD2

That may seem a little pricey to you, but considering that it covers the whole enchillada, it's really not a bad deal at all.

Good luck!

-John

Re: Learn JKD on your own - 01/01/05 10:01 PM

The Fighting Methods series of books is good. There's also the Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do Textbook, Entering to Trapping and Grappling, and volume 2 of that.

Re: Learn JKD on your own - 01/07/05 11:15 AM

....of course, if you get the chance to train with a JKD instructor, I'd do that too.

In as much as I agree JKD is an experience and not a "typical" style, there are specifics which aren't taught at your typical --insert style-- school. Meaning that there are things that Bruce Lee thought were important and others he discarded.

The most unique things found in JKD are directness and simplicity. Unfortunately, most so called JKD instructors miss the boat on this and have further created confusion for everyone else. It's one of the reasons there are nearly 20 different versions of JKD today.

Re: Learn JKD on your own - 01/26/05 03:30 PM

hiya i went went down the train yourself route and you can get amazingly better in punching and in kicking. Though i did track down my local JKD instructor in the end
(who is pretty damn good and was trained by a few of the greats). I did that as you cant get your infighting wing chun part of JKD with the paksao for instance without the JKD class unless ofcourse you went to a wing chun class but i found that you would be doing things less JKD fundamentalistic and wouldnt do the great part of wing chun to really develop that sensitivity (though good for paksao bonsaos in the beginning etc etc. (but with added 100 blocks for extra confusion!))for a while and would do instead be doing things that really mess up the JKD punching and footwork like punching from your rear hand and never strighting or punching with the laed hand first till you become proficient as i was told (though chain punching really increased my forearm size and punching speed). So if your patient and pretty smart cross train in boxing of some sort, to get good fighting skills of timing, distancing and footwork.... and maybe wingchun to get that little bit extra. (with kicking styles remember that JKD men mostly prefer to get the speed by kicking off their lead foot and not the rear as in mostly all other martial arts ive come into contact with. another thing mite be to get a wing chun guy and tell him to teach u main few blocks in jkd and to practice the chisao drill with. read the bruce lee fighting method books with this and watch the films for some examples of those moves... train hard!!!!
Let us know how it (or you perhaps) turn out...

Ayub