First wrestling tournament

Posted by: Christiancadet

First wrestling tournament - 12/10/04 05:19 PM

Had my first wresting match, wrestled at 130, lost 5-2 his lead after he pinned me in the first period. That's what happens when you wrestle with one months of actual wrestling experience for a school that has been built for 2 days prior to the start of the school year [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] . Our team did well over all, and we actually would have won the match had it not been for our four empty weight classes (they gain six points for every empty weight class). When our first guy went out there, the other team was laughing and seeming to think that it was going to be an easy victory. After their first two guys got pinned off of one shot apiece they seemed to take it seriously.
All I can remember about my fight was that I shot in first, and I was bleeding from the face at the end. From the video I saw that I had a good double leg, but then I got the McNizzum crossfaced out of me. Got another match next week, and am hoping to do better, not likely though as I'm in the toughest district in the state.

Edit: Here is what we go up against in our district, we are going to LOSE. http://greatbridgewrestling.com/HighSchoolInformationalpage.htm

[This message has been edited by Christiancadet (edited 12-10-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Christiancadet (edited 12-10-2004).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: First wrestling tournament - 12/10/04 09:23 PM

Better luck next time. In another thread, cross training I think it was, you called me on missing the fact that you originally mentioned your wrestling although in the original you said freestyle not H.S. Varsity and I think H.S. is what I suggested (smile and wink right back at ya). Hey, it's not BJJ but you're learning something there. As said elsewhere, when I was in school we respected the wrestlers more than the football players, karate guys, or street punks. I saw a 130 lb. wrestler mess up a 195 lb. football player tough guy when I was in school. The wrestler shot his legs under a haymaker swing and put the big guy on his back. The resulting smack on the back of the head probably would have been enough but the little guy had to get in a few licks for his own wounded pride. The little guy went on to win region and silvered in state (AA). With the striking techniques you are learning in your TKD/HKD it would be easy for you to transmutate that into the grappling and visa versa.
Posted by: Christiancadet

Re: First wrestling tournament - 12/10/04 09:48 PM

I was under the impression that HS and freestyle wresting were the same thing, aren't the three styles of wrestling Cath, Greco, and Freestyle?

Re: First wrestling tournament - 12/10/04 10:02 PM

Christiancadet,
To this day you could blindfold me, take me to any school gym in my home town, lay me on my back, take off the blindfold and I can tell you what gym I'm in.

oldman

Re: First wrestling tournament - 12/11/04 10:38 PM

Perhaps you are right since you are into it. We always refered to it as HS or collegiate wrestling. Forgive me but its been a while since I was in HS. (1980 grad)

Re: First wrestling tournament - 12/12/04 01:21 AM

Freestyle is different than collegiate (high school) wrestling. You don't have to drop your knee during takedowns, and many illegal holds/takedowns are legalized (even some submissions are allowed for that matter). I found freestyle to be a lot funner, and a bit more useful than collegiate wrestling.

Re: First wrestling tournament - 01/17/05 11:19 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SifuSkyler:
Freestyle is different than collegiate (high school) wrestling. You don't have to drop your knee during takedowns, and many illegal holds/takedowns are legalized (even some submissions are allowed for that matter). I found freestyle to be a lot funner, and a bit more useful than collegiate wrestling.[/QUOTE]

There is very little difference between folkstyle and freestyle wrestling, most of it pertaining to scoring.