Crazy Monkey Defence?

Posted by: White-Tiger

Crazy Monkey Defence? - 12/09/04 08:24 PM

Hello. I'm interested in learning a bit more about the "Crazy Monkey Defence" (i'm pretty sure thats the name)can anyone give me some info on this? Some pictures or video's would be very helpfull. Thanks.

Chris
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Crazy Monkey Defence? - 12/10/04 03:22 PM

Hello Whitetiger.

While I have not trained the crazy monkey per se, I have seen it described as bringing up your arms near your head with your elbows ending up in front of you, and your hands going over the top of your head as if you were brushing your hair back. The purpose I believe is to make the opponent's strikes hit your elbows, injuring his hands. This is a transitory position as I understand it, seeing as your ribs are fairly exposed whilst in that position. Seems like it would be effective against a headhunter, though.

Hope this helps.
Posted by: White-Tiger

Re: Crazy Monkey Defence? - 12/10/04 07:44 PM

Thanks for that. I had the basic idea, I just wasn't too sure about how to apply it. One thing that kind of bothered me was what if you dont catch the punch on the point of your elbow you could be in for some pain. I know there are some very delicate spots towards the back of the elbow, I imagine getting hit there while fighting/sparing would pretty much ruin that arm. Thanks again.

Chris
Posted by: John_C

Re: Crazy Monkey Defence? - 12/16/04 07:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MattJ:
The purpose I believe is to make the opponent's strikes hit your elbows, injuring his hands. This is a transitory position as I understand it, seeing as your ribs are fairly exposed whilst in that position.[/QUOTE]

I think it's used to crash into clinching range, although I could be wrong. Your perception of it as a transitory thing is bang on though, from what little I've seen of it. (The guys I saw training it went from orthodox guard -> cm -> clinch and back in a fairly fluid way).

Re: Crazy Monkey Defence? - 12/16/04 07:28 AM

That sounds reasonable to me.

Thanks for the insight, JohnC.
Posted by: John_C

Re: Crazy Monkey Defence? - 12/17/04 02:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MattJ:
That sounds reasonable to me.

Thanks for the insight, JohnC.
[/QUOTE]

My pleasure. I saw it at an SBG training session (at my local one in Manchester). If there's one near you, ask if you can go along and take a look for yourself, they're usually pretty open to people sitting in on their sessions.

Re: Crazy Monkey Defence? - 12/17/04 08:03 AM

Sadly, No SBG gyms around here in Pennsyvania. I think there is one in New Jersey, but that is a haul from here!

Guess I will stick with my little JKD school..
Posted by: NeilFrog

Re: Crazy Monkey Defence? - 10/31/05 03:51 AM

Phil Wiright from Revolution Martial Arts is the UK rep for the Crazy Monkey defence system.

Contact phil at phil@revolutiongym.co.uk