wing chun / northern shaolin mix to JKD?

Posted by: Anonymous

wing chun / northern shaolin mix to JKD? - 12/08/04 07:21 AM

Would u say that with proper (non training)guidance and information on JKD.... one could train wing chun and northern shaolin and go home and work on using them both effectively enough with JKD principals into a JKD type mush? Some poorer individuals have to get their JKD fix in this way but would u say it is wise?

Re: wing chun / northern shaolin mix to JKD? - 12/08/04 06:14 PM

I built an ecclectic style that includes Northern Shaolin. It's just as effective as any other style out there. As long as you have a good knowlege of a system, you can apply JKD principals to it. Chances are it will work as well as you work it.

This is the standard modern JKD mix:

Muay Thai/boxing (maybe a bit of WC)
Wrestling/BJJ
JKD Concepts

Mine came out like this:

Wu Ji/Shaolin (plus a nice hodgepodge of various Japanese techniques)
Shuai Chiao/Chin Na
JKD Concepts

It works just as well if not better. I might even dare to say it looks a bit prettier, lol. Just make sure to approach your training realistically. Do lots of sparring and forge your style into an effective art through "field testing." Cover all ranges of combat and then some. You will realize that it's not the art, but the artist.

Re: wing chun / northern shaolin mix to JKD? - 12/09/04 04:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SifuSkyler:
I built an ecclectic style that includes Northern Shaolin. It's just as effective as any other style out there. As long as you have a good knowlege of a system, you can apply JKD principals to it. Chances are it will work as well as you work it.

This is the standard modern JKD mix:

Muay Thai/boxing (maybe a bit of WC)
Wrestling/BJJ
JKD Concepts

Mine came out like this:

Wu Ji/Shaolin (plus a nice hodgepodge of various Japanese techniques)
Shuai Chiao/Chin Na
JKD Concepts

It works just as well if not better. I might even dare to say it looks a bit prettier, lol. Just make sure to approach your training realistically. Do lots of sparring and forge your style into an effective art through "field testing." Cover all ranges of combat and then some. You will realize that it's not the art, but the artist.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot u have given me the inspiration and added to my already large sense of enthusiasm to gain in understanding and ability.

Re: wing chun / northern shaolin mix to JKD? - 12/09/04 08:16 PM

No problem. That's what I aim for.