Who is Paul Vunak?

Posted by: Anonymous

Who is Paul Vunak? - 12/08/04 04:28 AM

does ne 1 know this Paul Vunak person or know what his about i think his a teacher in JKD he says on his web site Give me two days, and I can turn you into a fully competent streetfighter with the same system I teach the Navy Seals! does ne 1 beleive that this is true his website is http://www.fighting.net/training.php
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 12/08/04 06:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SOL Martial Arts:
does ne 1 know this Paul Vunak person or know what his about i think his a teacher in JKD he says on his web site Give me two days, and I can turn you into a fully competent streetfighter with the same system I teach the Navy Seals! does ne 1 beleive that this is true his website is http://www.fighting.net/training.php [/QUOTE]

Why don't you pay the $400-$2000 he charges for his seminar and find out.

JohnL

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 12/08/04 08:27 AM

Paul Vunak is a Jeet Kune Do instructor who trained for many years under Dan Inosanto (JKD)and the Machado brothers(BJJ), among others.

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 12/09/04 04:13 AM

*shakes head*

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 12/09/04 05:18 AM

LOL it must be BullSh!t then what about Dan Inosanto does ne 1 think he can train a person to be a really good fighter or is he just like the others????????

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 12/20/04 01:38 PM

The R.A.T/CQB program for the SEALS is only a twenty-hour block. The program was desigend by Vunak, and is still used to this day. It's techniques are brutal and effective. If they can learn it in two days there is no reason you couldn't.

You have to take what was given to you and practice it.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 12/20/04 04:07 PM

Vunak is ok. Some of his guys can fight quite well.

He teaches a "strategy" for dealing with fights, and, it's a damned good one. Its simple, efficient and to the point - just like a real fight strategy should be.

The only problem I've had with PFS is the way it's often trained.

Train it real and it's for real. Pretend to train it and it's just another fantasy based martial arts system.

-John

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 12/21/04 05:37 PM

I agree with John. Vunak has paid his dues and is JKD all the way. Quite a few people are becomming more commercial nowdays. A select few in the concepts group make very good money from their efforts to teach JKD. PV may be one of them. Hard work and marketing skill pays off in most professions.
Posted by: loki

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 12/21/04 08:03 PM

I also agree: P.Vunak teaches in a basic manner. He strips it down to the core element. Makes one understand by using a attribute system. His stick fighting video is a great learning tool.
Kobun

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 12/22/04 09:33 AM

I've spoken to Vu a few times. He's a nice guy and a good teacher. You might invest in his RAT videos first before spending money to train with him personally.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 12/23/04 07:03 AM

I personally would recommend that one learn to fight in all ranges first before developing strategies (which is what the RAT is).

People have a tendency to put the cart before the horse. That is, they begin learning strategies before they even have any skills (martial artists are like that for some reason).

Spend your time developing fundamentals and do so by studying "sciences" like boxing, wrestling, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, muay Thai, etc.

After you can "play the game" at a reasonable level against your partners who are fighting you back, you can learn street strategies like the RAT, which will THEN end up serving you MUCH better imo.

-John

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 01/18/05 01:25 AM

You can't teach everyone how to become a real good street fighter in two days. You have to take in consideration first...against who in a streetfight? Someone who knows anything or an experienced fighter? I heard Vunak has gotten beaten up many times...against a cab driver Knocked out in front of witnesses...numerous bouncers and in the hospital in critical once in a barfight with some bikers. So those claims are unsupported...maybe he should go and take his own two day course.

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 01/18/05 02:07 AM

[QUOTE]LOL it must be BullSh!t then what about Dan Inosanto does ne 1 think he can train a person to be a really good fighter or is he just like the others?[/QUOTE]

yes guro inosanto can teach a person to be a realy good fighter but not in two days.

[QUOTE]do so by studying "sciences" like boxing, wrestling, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, muay Thai, etc.[/QUOTE]

they call muay thai the science of 8 limbs fair enough but ive haerd it called the science of 8 tools, when infact there are 9: two legs, two knees, two hands, two elbows & one head.

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 01/19/05 07:03 PM

Dan Inosanto is an incredible martial artist.
He has been training for many many years to BECOME proficient. Anybody can show someone a few good techniques that might help them in a street encounter. It takes considerably longer to be an effective fighter.
What makes a good fighter? Anyone with a pitbull mentality. That is where one needs to start. If you have the mental tenacity to not give up no matter what happens to you, you are in a good place to start the physical training. I've seen some very small, frail looking streetfighters beat very large, strong men, because they will do anything necessary to win. If you have this, practise and learn just a handful of damaging techniques: eye removal, throat strike, groin strike, arm/leg inversions, sleeper hold etc. The nastiest streetfighters have a short list of techniques that work for them. Use the K.I.S. method (keep it simple) and you'll be fine.
IMPORTANT: You cannot be afraid of dying or getting injured. If you enter combat with these concerns, you are probably dead before the fight even begins!
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 01/19/05 08:49 PM

Hmmm,I was told,That paul vulnak,Had gotten his MA traing while he was in the navy.

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 02/17/05 01:59 PM

I don't believe in crops stories guys..OK... let's be sporty. PV is a good guy. Of course, if money is involved it is just normal.

Keep Fighting!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wilcox:
You can't teach everyone how to become a real good street fighter in two days. You have to take in consideration first...against who in a streetfight? Someone who knows anything or an experienced fighter? I heard Vunak has gotten beaten up many times...against a cab driver Knocked out in front of witnesses...numerous bouncers and in the hospital in critical once in a barfight with some bikers. So those claims are unsupported...maybe he should go and take his own two day course.[/QUOTE]

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 02/18/05 12:05 AM

Beware of anyone from the Inasanto camp, as Inasanto himself offers seminars that certify instructs to teach JKD over the course of a weekend. He doesn't teach the methods that Bruce did, but instead applies Bruce's philosopy to a bunch of weapons and unrelated fighting techniques, and it sounds like his student is doing the same thing.

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 02/18/05 05:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bryagh:
Beware of anyone from the Inasanto camp, as Inasanto himself offers seminars that certify instructs to teach JKD over the course of a weekend. He doesn't teach the methods that Bruce did, but instead applies Bruce's philosopy to a bunch of weapons and unrelated fighting techniques, and it sounds like his student is doing the same thing. [/QUOTE]

You don't actually think this means you can become an instructor in a weekend do you?

You can't just show up with no experience and get the license. You pay money, take the weekend seminar, and IF you are good enough you'll get the license. If you're not, you just have to take the same weekend seminar again.
Also you have to work your way up through different grades of instructorship. First the apprentice instructor, which isn't even an instructor per say, but as the name suggets an apprentice. You are not allowed to establish your own gym at this level, at apprentice level, you are allowed to take the next weekend seminar.

Bruce Lee wanted JKD to keep evolving, if Inosanto taught students the same "method" as Bruce taught it wouldn't be JKD. Bruce didn't teach a method, he taught his students a base to start from so that they could research their own experience.

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 02/18/05 09:39 AM

But Bruce also new that what JKD needed constantly was refinement, not additions. He blasted practices like kempo for this, which constantly added techniques. Instead, Bruce wanted to simplify the system, and the base he provided in his time works amazingly well, without additions. Those who add to JKD are no longer interested in the art, but instead filling thier own wallets, and using Bruce's legacy to do so.

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 02/19/05 05:18 PM

Doesn't mean that it can't work better. Never let something like "it works fine the way it is" stop you from investigating new techniques to see if you can make it fit in your arsenal, and help add to your efficiency in combat.

That doesn't mean that you just keep on adding more techniques, it means that you find out that this is another way of doing the same thing. Is this my personal way of handling combat?

Bruce Lee studied with Dan Inosanto because he felt that he could learn something from Inosanto, and he had already added techniques from kali before his death.

If you see Inosanto's additions to JKD as a negative you are still hung up on technique. Forget the technique, and the name. A punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick.
If you follow Bruce's philosophy these additions are not additions, but are a part of the way of fighting, now you have to see for yourself if it works for you.

Some techniques are forever excluded from being investigated, as the principles of jkd simply.... well, excludes them, but if a new found technique is within the concepts and principles, investigate it, if it's useful absorb it, if it's useless reject it. Kali was useful, so Bruce decided to absorb it.

Re: Who is Paul Vunak? - 02/21/05 01:22 PM

ok first off, how can you say beware of inosanto camp? because guess what, he still trains people jun fan jeet kune do. STILL calls him sifu Bruce, and still teaches everything bruce ever wrote down, and bruce himself gave mr. inosanto his schools. also those camps you heard about are open seminars and all you get for it is a certificate saying that you showed up. and as far as the weapons, hes training people for real life scenarios, where poeple use, guess what...knives and sticks. and in his country, people still fight ship to ship and in the jungles where kali and escrima were invented and still valid. he is simply adapting jkd to his own life. WHICH IS THE POINT OF JKD IN THE FIRST PLACE!