Aliveness

Posted by: JKogas

Aliveness - 11/27/04 03:26 PM

http://www.graugart.dk/temp/sbg.wmv

There's the link again. Deserves it's own thread.

-John
Posted by: Christiancadet

Re: Aliveness - 11/27/04 03:40 PM

Kewl vid, though I would say that it seems that he neglected to mention how even when using aliveness in training, you should IMHO go through the move slowly once or twice to learn what it is your trying to do.

Re: Aliveness - 11/27/04 07:43 PM

Well, actually that is addressed at any of the Straight Blast Gyms.

The video you just saw was only about the concept of aliveness.

Going slowly through unfamiliar/new moves IS done. There is a progression to learning. It's called the "I METHOD". That's a different aspect.

Doing moves slowly for a few times, is called the "I"ntroduction phase of the I method. You do the move a few minutes to get mechanics down and then you begin adding progressive resistance and drilling it. Thats the second phase and it's more alive. That's called the "I"solation phase.

Finally, all the isolated "pieces" are brough together as one whole via sparring, and that's the "I"ntregration phase - where everything is integrated into one's whole game.

If done properly, you'll never have to go BACK to the introduction phase to "rehash" a move you've learned - you just tone down the intensity of the energy/resistance you're getting during drills.

Maybe that makes it clearer.

-John

[This message has been edited by JKogas (edited 11-27-2004).]
Posted by: Christiancadet

Re: Aliveness - 11/27/04 08:14 PM

I'm familliar with the I method, I was just saying that the way it is shown in the video, you would think that they go straight to sparring. Good video, but they could have mentioned the I method.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Aliveness - 11/28/04 10:07 PM

JKogas,
That was an informative video. I am currently trying to do some different things within my M.A.'s training and reviving some of the JKD has been something I've worked on. All I have to go by so far are a few series on tape, but they only scratch the surface. Judging by what I am reading by you on several posts, you seem very knowledgable. If you don't mind, I would like to contact you personally. I live close enough to Winston-Salem to pay a visit once in a while.

Re: Aliveness - 11/29/04 04:50 PM

Please feel free to drop by the gym any time. Shoot me an email anytime as well. Let me know how I can be of any help.

Regards,

-John

Re: Aliveness - 11/30/04 03:17 PM

JKogas,
I'm new to this forum thing and don't know your e-mail or how to find it. E-mail me at tiledoc@earthlink.net, please. Also, any other martial artist out there who wishes to correspond, feel free to contact me. It sure would beat the junk I get on a daily basis.
p.s. the vid is worth further discussion

Re: Aliveness - 11/30/04 03:24 PM

Send mail to:

cruciblegym@yahoo.com

silvertigertkd1 you have mail.

-John

[This message has been edited by JKogas (edited 11-30-2004).]

Re: Aliveness - 12/01/04 02:33 PM

Thanks--now you have mail.
Posted by: loki

Re: Aliveness - 12/02/04 08:12 PM

John:

I started a discusion on the M.Talk.
Sorry, the thread is asking about aliveness.

I am asking some questions, could you respond on that thread so I don't derail this one

Thanks,
Respectly,
Kobun

Re: Aliveness - 12/04/04 07:45 AM

Loki -

As Mr V is quite anal about aliveness for some reason (as if OTHER topics don't generate heated debate.), why don't we continue the discussion here?

I will work ever harder to ensure that I don't encourage flaming debates. That way, we (us all - everyone) might be able to eventually realize that we share more common ground than we at first may realize!

Cheers!

-John

Re: Aliveness - 12/04/04 12:56 PM

John,

If you want to continue the discussion here then I'll start it.

One of the things I took away from the short video was the punching drills. I do a set at least once a week, but my partner doesn't move around. This week I'm going to incorperate the movement, because when he moves I have to move. From the fighting skills standpoint which I believe is the main point this is supposed to drive home, it is more realistic. From a fitness standpoint, both the puncher and the holder are moving. This is increasing the cardio portion of this drill, thus increasing stamina. I think it would be cool to work this drill off 2 or 3 people holding mitts or pads, with the 'aliveness' movement going on to work on multiple attacker skills. Do you do anything like this as well? Whatcha think about that idea?

Re: Aliveness - 12/04/04 06:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by silvertigertkd1:
John,

One of the things I took away from the short video was the punching drills. I do a set at least once a week, but my partner doesn't move around. This week I'm going to incorperate the movement, because when he moves I have to move.
[/QUOTE]

It's not uncommon to see guys standing still - even when doing focus pad drills. Thats not realistic because your opponents aren't going to be standing still in real fights. This is just common sense and everyone can agree to this, yet what do you see when many of them are training? Standing around flat footed doing things that are completely unrealistic.

It's good to always incorporate movement. That's the way real fights are.

From the fighting skills standpoint which I believe is the main point this is supposed to drive home, it is more realistic. From a fitness standpoint, both the puncher and the holder are moving. This is increasing the cardio portion of this drill, thus increasing stamina.
[/QUOTE]

Doing these drills for a half an hour at a high pace is a great method of getting a cardio vascular workout - providing your heart rate is high enough for your age/level.

I think it would be cool to work this drill off 2 or 3 people holding mitts or pads, with the 'aliveness' movement going on to work on multiple attacker skills. Do you do anything like this as well? Whatcha think about that idea?
[/QUOTE]

Any drills like that, done in that manner are going to be good. Even better would be to wear headgear and boxing gloves and actually work to hit your opponents in the head and working into the clinch and back out. Keep moving trying to keep one of your opponents between you and his partner until you can get to a pre-determined "doorway"/escape zone.

Good luck!

-John

Re: Aliveness - 12/17/04 08:25 PM

John, can you give me the sites main web address so I can do some exploring, thanks.

Julayne [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Julayne4 (edited 12-17-2004).]

Re: Aliveness - 12/17/04 08:32 PM

Oops double post. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: Aliveness - 12/18/04 01:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Julayne4:
John, can you give me the sites main web address so I can do some exploring, thanks.

Julayne [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[/QUOTE]

Be right with you pal. I gotta run out but I'll post it up when I return.

Thanks

-John

Re: Aliveness - 12/21/04 06:27 AM

Sorry for the delay -

http://www.straightblastgym.com

Cheers!

-John