Four Ranges or Three games

Posted by: JKogas

Four Ranges or Three games - 11/26/04 04:59 PM

The four ranges have always been talked about in JKD concepts. Kicking, punching, trapping and grappling/ground fighting.

We adhere to a slightly different variation known as the three games: stand-up (comprised of both kicking and punching - aka long and middle distances), clinch and ground.

Do any of you practice catch-as-catch-can (catch wrestling) for your ground games?

If not, what DO you do for your ground games?

-John
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Four Ranges or Three games - 11/26/04 08:37 PM

I am not a JKD practitioner per se, but like other styles and systems, I borrow what I can from any source. My ground game is my weakest by far. I've had some instruction in Brazillian Jiu-jitsu techniques. Whether they came from Gracie, or elsewhere I don't know. The instructor dropped grappling classes from his curriculum due to decline in participation. He says he's found enough interest lately to start a vale tudo class. Personally, I would like to learn sambo. My stand-up grappling is a little better due to training in aikido and hapkido. I try to stay off the ground but I know I need to be prepared in case the fight goes there.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Four Ranges or Three games - 11/26/04 09:21 PM

I use freestyle Greco-Roman.

Re: Four Ranges or Three games - 11/27/04 06:54 AM

Hello JKogas
I am training with a jeet kune do instructor, and we do work groundfighting.
It appears to me to be BJJ or something similar. I like it a lot so far(only been doing it a few months). Not too familiar with CAC wrestling. Seems similar to vale tudo. Could you give more detail?
Thanks and good training.

Re: Four Ranges or Three games - 11/28/04 01:01 PM

I teach three ranges also, mainly because effective trapping is a myth, I prefer redirection and counter attack to set up a decent trap/joint lock. For grappling I generally use Shuai Chiao for takedowns (done mostly from the clinch) and Chin Na for submissions (done mostly on the ground. It's an unorthodox approach to Chin Na that I call 'Lever Chin Na,' it's infinitely more effective in a real fight than the long range trap and small joint manipulation approach), though I admitedly use some jujitsu also.
Posted by: John_C

Re: Four Ranges or Three games - 12/02/04 09:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MattJ:
Not too familiar with CAC wrestling. Seems similar to vale tudo. Could you give more detail?
Thanks and good training.
[/QUOTE]
http://www.catchwrestle.com/info.htm

Excerpt;
[QUOTE]the basic strategy remains the same: to hook (submit) your opponent as quickly as possible while absorbing the least amount of punishment. Catch Wrestling teaches one to control an opponent, concentrating on balance, leverage, and technique to control one's opponent and ultimately hook him.

Learning to control from the feet to the ground is the key to ending a fight quickly. If you can't control a man, you can't submit him. And if you are finding yourself fishing for a submission for hours or even many minutes on end, you are probably not properly controlling your opponent. Control is far more than holding a man down. Control is getting him to do what you want him to do. [/QUOTE]

Re: Four Ranges or Three games - 12/02/04 09:46 AM

Thanks for the link, my friend

Re: Four Ranges or Three games - 12/02/04 10:45 AM

I have allways trained in 5 Ranges that I learned from a Hawrangdo Master.

Range 5: Rushing in distance

Range 4: Kicking Distance

Range 3: Punching distance

Range 2: Standing Close Quarter, clinched to gether maybe , elbows, knees, shin grinds, leg to leg manipulation, turning oppent's pyrimid, body manipulation, body climbing, pressure points, biteing etc....

Range 1: Ground Fighting, grappling