An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto.

Posted by: Anonymous

An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/12/04 12:28 PM

In 1988 I published the first book on the JKD concepts method. I published numerous articles promoting Dan Inosanto, Larry Hartsell and other JKDC instructors. I was at the 1988 photo shoot with Dan and Paula near the lake in NC which is used on their web page. From 1983-1988 I trained at perhaps a dozen Inosanto seminars/camps and received certificates attesting to my training. As I learned more about the JKDC method I concluded that there must have been additional JKD methods that were not offered in the seminars. I began to write articles about what I called the "Original" JKD. In retaliation Paula Inosanto wrote a hateful letter (1993) which called me a fraud. Apparently they were upset. I have published the details of my response and subsequent legal actions at www.aikia.net (click on the JKD logo). The incident would have been forgotten except for a JKD/Kali student in Maryland by the name of Michael Krivka. Krivka had visited my area in 1994 and managed to knock himself out with a whip while performing an exersise. I made sport of his misfortune and apparently he has not forgotten the incident. Recently I have discovered that he has published a newsletter filled with libel. Now here is the important part.
I do not teach a system/concept/art and call it JKD. I have no interest in being known as an instructor of JKD. I have never owned a JKD school. JKD is certainly a subject that I have lectured about at the university and at seminars. I am a writer/researcher who has in the past published much about JKD. However my teaching /performing market is in karate/TKD/kickboxing etc. So why the attempt to discredit my name? Here's my question.
Does anyone know why Michael Krivka continues to promote a 10 year old letter? And why would Paula Inosanto support this action? Is this not a cheap way to gain recognition?
What gives?
Jerry Beasley Ed.D.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/12/04 12:40 PM

Who knows Dr, Beasley. Sounds like sour grapes to me and just more political garbage that tends to run amock in the JKD world. Some things NEVER change.

SNAFU!

By the way, Jerry - I LIVE in North Carolina. What lake was it that was used for their backdrop?

Thanks

-John

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/12/04 02:20 PM

John,
The 1987 Great Smokey Mt. JKD camp was held in Brasstown NC. Seems like we drove for some time south of the town to get to the lake. One of the photos from the shoot was used on the now controversial 1988 JKD Experience book cover. I received a private e-mail from a member ( thanks) who informs me that he had heard that the Inosantos were displeased with a photo caption claiming that Dan was "The Pope of JKD". I remember hearing others refer to him by that title at the time and thought he liked the idea. I removed the reference from the 2nd edition. The book was dedicated to Dan and he endorsed the book on the back cover. Dan and Paula received a complete, from the publisher, review copy so they could have made any changes. She wouldn't let me talk to him after the book came out in '88 so I never knew what the gripe was about. I was pretty suprised she decided to call me a fake and fraud in her 1993 letter which IKF magazine refused to publish. All of my information was quoted and I proabably still have the tapes! I enjoyed training with Dan in the 80's. I spent a lot of extra time with him at the seminars until about 1987 when Paula came on the scene. A lot of people had a hard time adjusting to the changes.
JB
Posted by: loki

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/13/04 07:34 PM

Good day Dr. Beasley:

I have asked a question,and it seems that none can answer. As Bruce Lee trained Joe Lewis in the art of JKD,did Bruce teach the Bil Gee to Mr.Lewis.

The reason I ask; I see many Wing Chun moves in the SSF series 1998,by Panther.

Also,the 8 degree BB given to you by Joe Lewis.What was the discipline? As the article seems to suggest it as being JKD?

Could you please clarify...

Kobun

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/13/04 09:26 PM

Ioki,
Joe told me that Bruce tried to teach him the gung fu system but he had an interest only in the JKD principles for improving his sparring. Joe would listen to Bruce and observe the wing chun skills but in the end retained primarily the actual JKD. I wrote an article for Black Belt a few years ago and the copy editor listed "8th dan in JKD". Their error. It should have stated 8th dan in the Joe Lewis karate/kickboxing system. In 1993 Joe issued a letter designating me as a JKD instructor under him. Terms like rank or degree have never applied to JKD. I have never taught an art/system/style/concept/program and called it JKD. I teach and write about the philosophy of fighting espoused by Bruce Lee along with other arts.
JB

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/13/04 09:35 PM

Didn't answer your complete question. My 1998 series for Panther productions was intended to demonstrate the full contact fighting method that Joe learned from Bruce and developed into the sport of Kickboxing in 1970. The producer wanted more info about JKD so I supplied it. The series was eventually entitled "JKD:Scientific Streetfighting" even though there was very little if any mention of "streetfighting". Panther owns all rights to my series and the JKD series taught by Paul Vunak. We make no income from the sale of the tapes.

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/15/04 07:59 PM

Thanks: Actually in the advertsement,March 1999BLACK BELT. It does not say what 8 degree.
It simply states "... the coveted 8 th degree BB from his mentor- Joe Lewis."

I am now informed,the rank is in fact in Joe Lewis style of Karate.

Many of the images seem to imploy a extension of Larp soa/Bil Gee .

Did you study Wing Chun?If not where do these movement come from. The reason I ask, is that Bruce Lee wanted to expand the Larp Sao. His interpretation of this movement became JKD. (Some believe) It freed him from the limitations of a classical style. The whole then become a "way."

Thoughts??
Kobun

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/16/04 01:18 PM

Ioki,
I did take the wing chun "concepts" classes at the JKDC seminars at which I trained in the mid 1980's with Dan Inosanto and Francis Fong. I also trained for 6 months in classical wing chun at VA Tech. I simply preferred the western boxing over the wing chun and as a result concentrated on skill in boxing.
You may be refering to the promo shots for the tape series in which I posed for the standard "JKD" type trap/strike technique.
After two books, tape series and lots of articles I can see why people assume that my art is JKD. I teach JKD as a subject matter but not as an art/system etc. I like what Joe Lewis has done with his system of kickboxing/martial arts grappling.
JB

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/16/04 08:53 PM

Thanks, Dr, your information has been appreaciated.
Kobun Out

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/17/04 10:54 AM

My attention was drawn to a forum at another site in which members have apparently been debating for over 10 months whether or not I am "certified" to teach JKD. That is a lot of time for such a senseless subject. Some of the members must have been real fans because not only did they know some facts but they made up their own to add spice to an otherwise boring subject.
My 9th degree black belt certificate was issued to me in 1999 by GM Michael De Pasquale Sr. and Professor Wally Jay. Professor Wally Jay was one of Bruce Lee's instructors. Let's see, I get promoted by one of Bruce Lee's instructors and some non-black belt martial artists argue if they think I am certified? Well, in 1993 Joe Lewis issued a letter certifying me to teach the JKD strategy that Bruce taught him. This was after 10 years of training with Joe Lewis! Now they attack Joe and question how much he was taught by BL. What does it matter? I do not teach JKD as an art/style/system etc. Joe Lewis does not teach JKD as a style/art/system etc. I (we) just don't care about the infighting in JKD. We will not take a side, OJKD v. JKDC. I will continue to write about the subject of JKD and teach the subject as well. If JKD "certification" is the target then forget it ever happened. I have.
This thread has everything to do with libel that is currently being passes from one "gossip" to another. Cyber bullies can attack your reputation and unless you respond others may assume you have done something wrong. www.aikia.net
Dr. Beasley
Black Belt Magazine Hall of Fame
Instructor of the Year 2000

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/18/04 08:27 PM

Dr B.

I find it increadible that you are actually on this web site. I agree, many martial artist have been arguing about styles & ranks. Some spend so much time in the forum, I often wonder about their training. Joe Lewis is a great teacher,and a superb fighter. If people want to talk, let them...

When I first join the forum people asked so many specifics,then asked to email ranks. Its like a jealous bunch of women gossiping about which style is better. The truth in combat, lies in who has the edge for that precise moment in time.

Kobun Out

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/19/04 10:01 AM

Ioki,
Honestly I have spent too much time visiting forums. I wanted to get a feel for what members were talking about. I agree with you there is still too much griping.
Although I am not a JKD instructor,no JKD school/class etc I find that I am mentioned on several threads, and not always in a friendly way.
I just visited the website of Michael Krivka the guy that started the public Paula Inosanto controversy. First Krivka claims to have been a Tanemura "ninja" then a Bruce Lee devotee now he claims to be the master of "Kane Fu" and Tai Chi Feely"! There are pictures of him with his whip. Another picture shows him holding a gun pointed at the viewer.Having made the case that I have been singled out by an idiot I am not free to go back to work.

Michael Krivka is attempting to attract attention by posting his reviews of JKD instructors.
If the subject comes back up Ioki please send me an e-mail. I have tried to engage Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto in discussion but they shy away from public debate.
JB

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/19/04 11:08 AM

It seems to me, Dr. Beasley that this Krivka character is using the old ploy of hitching his wagon to a star. Sad, really, that he can't stand on his own two feet and must resort to name dropping to gain attention. Your credentials speak for themselves. Krivka obviously has no balance in his life proving that he needs to empty his cup and try softer.

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/19/04 04:48 PM

MrHate,
I agree. That is exactly what Kirvka is doing. He is attracting atention. When people read his bio it sounds like he wants to associate his name with established names but without the work. Claim to fame? Creator of "Kane Fu" and "Tai Chi Feely". He can't be serious.

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/19/04 09:56 PM

Perhaps Krivka should go into advertising. Creating a buzz is what it's all about. I'm sure if he were to read our dialog it would be a major boost to his ego. I'm reminded of something Joe Hyams once said..."What stands in the way of effortless effort is caring, or a conscious attempt to do well." Poor Krivka would do well to return to some basics.

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/20/04 01:00 PM

MrHate,
Agreed.
Since Mr.Krivka refuses to respond ( and he was contacted) I will say in his defense he may feel that he is being in some way loyal to Paula. And, in Paula's defense she may have felt that my efforts back in the 80's-early 1990's to support the OJKD movement by hiring OJKD instructors and offering OJKD camps, were counterproductive to her attempt to promote her husband and their method of JKDC. My role was that of a promoter and writer not as a teacher of JKD. This subject should be water under the bridge but Mr. Krivka insists on bringing up a decade old controversy for self advancement.
I think that there is room for both sides. Although I am neither OJKD nor JKDC I beleive we are better off with two points of view.
What do you think?
JB

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/26/04 07:37 PM

This is a note to 'AIKIA'. I want to tell you that what the Insanto's think is totally irrelevent. I know of you and have studied your tapes. I regret that I've never trained with you or at your camp, considering I live within a 2 hr. drive. I don't know what it is about the JKD people I meet but most are down right snobby about their art, style, and self. This all seems to contradict Lee's basic aims and principles in my opinion. Two years ago I met a knife maker who also practiced JKD {which he proudly claimed and quickly let it be known that all other styles were inferior}. I began my training in TKD but now practice American Freestyle. As I described my style to him a certain understanding did seem to cross his narrow mind, especially when I put it to him like this: What if Bruce Lee began with karate or TKD? What if he had been Jap-American or Korean-American or not raised in Asia but had stayed in California? Give Lee the same physical and mental attributes but different environment and background would JKD be radically different or much the same? After pondering these questions, he bagan to see that American Freestyle Karate had much more in common with JKD. He thought we were just sport karate, but I told him while some leaned that way more that I did not. I got my first taste of JKD in the early '80's while serving in the Marines. Oddly enough it was from a student of Dan Inasanto who also was a H.S. friend of his daughter Diana. In the early '90's I briefly hooked up with a practioner at VT but he left after that semester. This is one of those times I should have come to Radford to see you, but alas I didn't; however I can't complain about the training I received from Mr.Ed Hampton. Anyhow I've rambled enough, as I said I know you are a Master instructor and practitioner of multiple disciplines and your JKD whether you claim it or not is as good as the next Master's in my book.

Re: An open Request to Michael Krivka and Paula Inosanto. - 11/27/04 01:56 PM

SilvertigerTKD1,
Thanks for the comments. I am glad that my kickboxing video series labeled as JKD: Scientific Streetfighting has been used by a variety of martial artists that wanted to improve their sparring methods. The best students are always those that seek functional knowledge and not identification with a name or style. I teach the same method to TKD and karate schools.
I often refer to Bruce Lee or JKD to give credit to that and other lines of influence. But in the end I don't know of anyone that has taken a class from me and concluded that they had been taught the art of JKD. That has not been my intent, and here's why.
You mentioned American Freestyle. One of the facts that I identified was that Bruce was creating his JKD/non-classical gung fu with the same concept as the champion Krate fighters of his day. The seeds of American Freestyle were planted by fighters that discovered the limitations of using only one style and often abandoned traditions in favor of using what worked. Bruce learned boxing methods along with Joe Lewis, kicking skills from Chuck Norris and Jhoon Rhee. Jhoon Rhee taught Bruce the speed break and several spinning kicks. Bruce took a lot of the "use what works" theory developed by the tournament fighters and incorporated this information in to his personal training.
American Freestyle tournaments evolved from strict non-contact( there was a period from 1970-72 in which Joe Lewis created the JKD inspired kickboxing) to light contact with padding (circa 1973) to full contact (1974) to kickboxing and now UFC/NHB/MMA style fighting. Bruce Lee did not live to see the changes but he would have been impressed with the advanced "use what works" mentality.
Bruce's arena was not the tournament/competitive field but the streetfight. It may be logically argued that JKD is the "use what works" philosophy applied to street fighting. In the big picture JKD is a philosophy that was co-developed at the same time as American Freestyle ( i.e., 1960's/1970's). Bruce influenced American stylists but the Americans influenced Bruce as well.
Some would argue that the new MMA concept is actually an advancement over the original JKD. But Bruce was a movie star and a lot of people will want to identify with Bruce Lee first and his art of JKD second. Those are the types, (like Krivka) that do the most complaining and tend to get upset when someone uses the name.