The straight blast

Posted by: Anonymous

The straight blast - 11/07/04 06:27 PM

I would like to hear everyone's view on this technique, and how you think it may prove to be effective in a street situation.

Re: The straight blast - 11/08/04 10:52 AM

I love the straight blast. It works well as long as you don't expect to knockout the person out with that alone.

Re: The straight blast - 11/09/04 11:29 PM

the straight blast is a great way to get in and overwhelm the opponent, but its not a be all end all once your in and thier guard is down it's elbows, knees and headbutt time! pretend your a freighttrain and thier the tracks.

Re: The straight blast - 11/10/04 12:25 AM

Define a good straight blast.. I'm an amatuer martial artist but I've had countless street fights only to lose once. Basically whats a good straight blast, and can anyone define the tao of jeet kune do exercises?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: The straight blast - 11/10/04 09:31 AM

The straight blast controls the centerline.

It's a blitzing attack with circular chain punching, end over end, all directed right down your opponent's throat, lol.

I actually prefer the BOXING blast than the standard straight blast. For me it's safer and more powerful while offering the same benefits of the standard approach.

That's done by a series of boxing punches, leading with the jab, followed by repeating crosses using alternating arms and changing leads as you move into your opponent.

Sorry if that isn't clear.

-John

Re: The straight blast - 11/12/04 11:07 AM

The straight blast (also called "the mysterious hand" in some traditional kung fu schools) can effectively disorient an opponent for a finishing blow. Or if you lift a lot of weights and have proper form, it can actually knock the opponent out (trust me, lol). The secret to more power is to integrate the final elbow snap from Wing Chun's Sun fist. This is part of the "One inch punch" powertrain. Another way to get more power out of it is to drop from your Bai Jong stance into a side facing horse stance as you make contact with the lead side, this will add more power without compromising your speed, and will close your centerline. Finally, make sure that the lead punch's energy starts at your rear foot and travels up your hips, around the trunk, and out the arm. Work on producing power though short distances and the straight blast will serve you well.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: The straight blast - 11/13/04 05:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:
The straight blast controls the centerline.

It's a blitzing attack with circular chain punching, end over end, all directed right down your opponent's throat, lol.

I actually prefer the BOXING blast than the standard straight blast. For me it's safer and more powerful while offering the same benefits of the standard approach.

That's done by a series of boxing punches, leading with the jab, followed by repeating crosses using alternating arms and changing leads as you move into your opponent.

Sorry if that isn't clear.

-John
[/QUOTE]

I tend to use a little bit of both. Usually to set up the takedown or Rear Straight.

Re: The straight blast - 04/12/05 10:16 AM

I am not sure what a straight blast is..
If its a "0ne inch punch" then.. its a good punch for some places. I can tell you first hand the SB hurts! I guess you could finish with it too... although I wouldn't.

If its a "chain punch" then yah I use them allot. I use chain punches for buffers. Its crap for coming in and if you do it too much it very easy to get around it. But... at the correct place it will really throw a opponent off.. and allow for a kick or knee or a harder punch. It works well on the ground when people try to hold you down and do a hard punch.

Re: The straight blast - 04/12/05 10:28 AM

a straight blast is brilliant when used in combination with other hits like elbows.
My favourite combo is kick to the stomach, then strait blast their head, and if they are not down by then, you make sure with an elbow.
If you want to get more power put your hip into it, drive your body in the ground, twist and smack.
You have to do it fast and short movements otherwise it is easy to counter against, and it covers the centreline which is always a plus.
If worst comes to worst on the street, i guess you can just ignore all else and blast your way through (not like an idiot though, you have to connect, obviously and you have to do it in a disciplined manner)
If you train at the straight blast for a while you should be able to do about 5 punches a second (i think thats about right, havent timed it though)