bruce lee/linda lee close schools?

Posted by: Dfox

bruce lee/linda lee close schools? - 11/02/04 10:44 PM

Bruce lees words from the book Bruce Lee jeet kune do Volume 3 Bruce Lee's commentaries on the martial way

" I was teaching martial art in the United States. I had three schools; one in Oakland, one in Seattle, and one in Los Angeles. And then later on I just closed them, you know, and just taught private lessons. I do not believe in "schools." "

Is this real am I reading this right???
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: bruce lee/linda lee close schools? - 11/04/04 05:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dfox:
Bruce lees words from the book Bruce Lee jeet kune do Volume 3 Bruce Lee's commentaries on the martial way

" I was teaching martial art in the United States. I had three schools; one in Oakland, one in Seattle, and one in Los Angeles. And then later on I just closed them, you know, and just taught private lessons. I do not believe in "schools." "

Is this real am I reading this right???
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I heard Bruce didn't like teaching at all. He prefered to train in private, and with 3 schools open, he couldn't be in all 3 at once so he had appointed some of his best students to take over while he was gone. Yet he felf he could give the best lessons privately, with one on one instruction or with small groups of personal friends. He was really into personalizing his students workouts.

I think he had at one time planned on opening a large chain of schools, but he decided that wasn't what he wanted to do in life.
Posted by: Akiba

Re: bruce lee/linda lee close schools? - 11/04/04 06:11 AM

It's a shame his students didn't share the same view.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: bruce lee/linda lee close schools? - 11/04/04 03:45 PM

It is now common knowledge that Bruce closed his JKD kwoons in 1971 and disbanned the practice of JKD. Lee was afraid that his JKD students would misinterpret the skills he taught as the art of JKD. After 1971 Lee prefered to define his JKD as a philosophy. His 1971 article for Black Belt magazine "Liberate yourself from classical karate" stated in no uncertain terms that he had not created a new way or style. Rather Lee felt that JKD was best expressed as a way to liberate the individual who was " crammed and distorted by the classical mess".
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: bruce lee/linda lee close schools? - 11/04/04 09:10 PM

I only go to two schools anyways. (1) Kyushinkai school of Aikido, and (2) Marksmanship School.