Thinking of taking up Jeet Kwon do

Posted by: Anonymous

Thinking of taking up Jeet Kwon do - 10/08/04 11:22 PM

Hi,
My name is Oli and Im 16. I have recently started Tae kwon do, but before that i did wing chung. I was wondering what jeet kwon do entiles. I am thinking about cross training with Tae Kwon do.
My Instructor, if I choose to do it will be Walt Missingham, does anyone know of him?
Thankyou
oli

Re: Thinking of taking up Jeet Kwon do - 10/09/04 09:27 AM

I would avoid Jeet Kune Do classes persay, it really isn't a formed style, its the philosophy behind it. Continue with TKD and WC and just mix and match techniques. Use what you learn from the other style in you daily practice. Cross training like this gives you the effect of training in the original Jeet Kune Do, made by Bruce. Others trainers, especially that of large classes, will lean towards a specific fighting style, and that is not good. So to reiderate, I would stick away from organized Jeet Kune Do classes.

~Brad~

Re: Thinking of taking up Jeet Kwon do - 10/09/04 10:33 PM

hi,
Im sorry if i sound stupid, but i thought that the whole point of Jeet Kwon Do was to cross train with many arts and adapt the style to work for you. The instructor, as well as most of the students have mastered various other arts, and they add many of these techniques into the lessons. Please give me any feedback
thankyou

oli
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Thinking of taking up Jeet Kwon do - 10/10/04 08:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gangster_no1:
hi,
Im sorry if i sound stupid, but i thought that the whole point of Jeet Kwon Do was to cross train with many arts and adapt the style to work for you.

[/QUOTE]

Cross training in the definitive sense of the term is NOT what's going to make someone a competent fighter.

Cross training implies taking several styles and meshing them together. An example of how people generally think of cross training is as follows:

* A 4:00 Boxing class
* A 5:00 jiu-jitsu class
* A 6:00 muay Thai class
* A 7:00 wrestling class

(feel free to insert your OWN class descriptions in the time slots..)

Can you see how much confusion this approach would bring? Training THAT way is only going to confuse the brain and create an "analysis paralysis" situation. You'd learn things in the boxing/kickboxing class that would completely go against what you learn in jiu-jitsu class.

You'd learn things in the wrestling class that would be counter-productive to everything else as well (such as rolling belly down to escape being pinned instead of shrimping away and obtaining guard).

What would be better is to have ONE class where EVERYTHING is integrated all in one session. THAT'S that JKD approach and that's NOT "cross-training" -- because when it's all integrated, it's done AS one "style" so to speak -- a style of NO style if you will. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gangster_no1:

The instructor, as well as most of the students have mastered various other arts, and they add many of these techniques into the lessons. Please give me any feedback
thankyou
oli
[/QUOTE]

Mastery of "styles" isn't important, its the mastery of basic tools -- tools that transcend styles and boundaries that are where its at. Try and just think in terms of tools instead of styles and you'll loosen your thinking up.

-John

Re: Thinking of taking up Jeet Kwon do - 10/10/04 07:13 PM

Jeet Kwon Do = Way of the Intercepting Foot?

Re: Thinking of taking up Jeet Kwon do - 10/11/04 07:22 AM

hi Jkogas,

"What would be better is to have ONE class where EVERYTHING is integrated all in one session. THAT'S that JKD approach and that's NOT "cross-training" -- because when it's all integrated, it's done AS one "style" so to speak -- a style of NO style if you will."

That was exactly the point I was trying to make. Thankyou for putting it into better words than me.

Re: Thinking of taking up Jeet Kwon do - 10/26/04 02:25 AM

a dont recommend JKD real JKD is not something you learn from someone else its something you create and refine on your own there is no help but self help others may open the doors but its up to you to step through them and discover and refine what works for you

Re: Thinking of taking up Jeet Kwon do - 10/27/04 11:19 AM

sifu says that, sometimes, when you master a cirtain discipline your thinking can become mechanical, stagnant. you stop growing and learning. jkd is great for these people because it can give an entirely new appraoch to thier chosen system (whateaver it may be). it can give new perspectives by wich to see their system, and continue to grow because of it. i am a seinior student now (we dont use sashes. only junior and senior student, sifu, and grandmaster) so developing stagnantthinking because i've mastered wing chung is the LEAST of my worries lol.
as far as a novice taking jkd? i cant say... i dont know any novices who have. sorry.
respectfully

Re: Thinking of taking up Jeet Kwon do - 10/29/04 09:16 PM

Dont it make sense that in alot of ways people already take a JKD approach once they get so far in Ma. I mean think about it you start learning a set way to get the principles down, but once you have a understanding you kind of start to put together your own unique art based on how you as the individual view the art. Thats really how the art grows and expands even though the base knowledge is taught the same. Alot jkd people view kata and such as stagnet but even the same kata varies from master to master based on what works for them even though the base movements are the same. I wouldnt recommend Jeet kune do to a novice student, they should stick to a art get its mechanics learn how to move then transition to their own unique style. Most masters do this naturaly as they get older and get a better grasp on thier base art.

Re: Thinking of taking up Jeet Kwon do - 11/12/04 10:40 AM

I reccomend a firm base in a traditional art before you start learning JKD. Usually JKD practicioners that only trained in JKD's moves are quite sloppy and undisciplined. You first need order to bring chaos. I trained for 13 years before I started studying JKD, and trust me, after training for that long, you will have the JKD mindset anyways. JKD is more of an idea than an art. When I first created Jing Chuan, my formless system based on Wu Ji, Shaolin, Chin Na, Shuai Chaio, and assorted techniques from karate, TKD, Aikido, judo/jujutsu, San Shou Kuai Jiao, and wrestling, I had never read the Tao of JKD. After I read it, I realized that I already knew JKD, lol. Just keep an open mind, and listen to your instructor. When you finish TKD, move on to another art that fills a missing piece in your style. Rinse, repeat...
Posted by: Dfox

Re: Thinking of taking up Jeet Kwon do - 11/15/04 06:50 AM

is boxing a good start?

Re: Thinking of taking up Jeet Kwon do - 11/15/04 11:17 AM

Boxing is a good start. I'd learn how to profficiently kick and grapple as well. Perhaps San Shou or Muay Thai would be better to start with. I'd really recommend a more traditional art though, with a fuller arsenal. Now I will spark a livid debate in this Jeet kune Do forum: Forms may not be good for fighting, but they have many other advantages. You will gain better coordination, agility, speed, and definitely better technique. Though Lee was against forms, they were still an integral part of his training, and they were partially responsible for his superior technique. That is why I recommend a traditional art before you move on to the chaos that is JKD. Discipline your moves before you let them be free.

Re: Thinking of taking up Jeet Kwon do - 11/16/04 04:56 PM

JKD not an art but an idea only? Man, I wonder I've been doing the past year. Where do you live gangster_no1? Maybe I could try and find you a good instructor in your area. Now I know John Kogas and I may disagree on what exactly JKD is, but I'm only giving my take as there are some here that JKD is some abstract idea when it really isn't.

Re: Thinking of taking up Jeet Kwon do - 11/28/04 05:49 AM

I agree with gangster no1, stop trying to make JKD into a style. u should look at bruce lees philosophies which are now being misinterpreted and forgotten... its not about the style at all but the personal fighting spirit and use of the most direct and fundamental attacks to form an exrtremely efficient way of fighting and as this could encompass any moves it cant be considered a style as itself. This allows the introduction of moves from other martial arts, as Bruce did studying many other styles such as boxing to find effective moves to add to his arsenal.... and its those he thaught towards the end of his life and this still doesnt make JKD a style perse and the the 1 year of learning you have done is an evolution and deviation from lee's original ideas and philosophies but that is not necessarily a bad thing......