Dr B... Q on Endurance

Posted by: Anonymous

Dr B... Q on Endurance - 10/08/04 10:52 PM

I would appriciate help in the line of training for running endurance. I have about 16 months to get in tip top shape for what i plan to sign up for, so, if you could outline some things for me to do, it would be much appriciated. I am around 200 lbs and can run a mile in 7:46, 7:24 being my personal best. Any rutines you suggest would most likly be most helpful. I have stretches down, so, you don't have to worry about them. Thank you again

~Brad~

Re: Dr B... Q on Endurance - 10/09/04 09:22 AM

SPARR YOU FOOL YOU'RE NOT A RUNNER YOU'RE A MA. RUNNING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MA SPARR FOOL!

Re: Dr B... Q on Endurance - 10/09/04 09:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Razwell:
SPARR YOU FOOL YOU'RE NOT A RUNNER YOU'RE A MA. RUNNING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MA SPARR FOOL![/QUOTE]

Umm, want running endurance for other reasons than martial arts, I have great sparring endurace, because I do spar alot. I need running endurace now... for other reasons. (please, no1 else tell me i don't need running for martial arts, I just figured Dr B could help me with this one)

~Brad~
Posted by: White-Tiger

Re: Dr B... Q on Endurance - 10/09/04 10:47 AM

Ryuoni, disregard everything razwell says, hes an idiot. i cant help much with you endurance question but i do sudgest if you dont already practive jump rope that you start as it will help build endurance.

Chris

Re: Dr B... Q on Endurance - 10/09/04 09:29 PM

Sprints, short/middle distance hill runs and long distance running over varying terrain will make you have excellent endurance - all pro fighters pretty much do this, or an equivalent.

Running has other benefits, like actually testing mental toughness and strengthening the legs and shins for fighting. over time, you bones should be stronger.

Not only that, you'll lose fat fairly efficiently.

PS Razwell - isometrics, resistance training, plyometrics and pliates have "nothing" to do with sparring, but they help you fight better and look great. I am sure Carl Lewis, Joeseph Pilates or Steven Reeves would have made fine martial artists. Even Ah-nuld!

Re: Dr B... Q on Endurance - 10/11/04 12:06 PM

Ryuoni,
With limited training time I concentrate on sparring and no longer run as part om my fitness routine. I asked a friend who is very skilled at long distance running to respond. Here is what he had to say.
"Most of what you would need to do, depends specifically on what you are training for. To begin with, you would need to establish a good endurance base. The fact that you have 16 months to prepare for your event is in your favor.
Develop a calendar and work your way back from your scheduled event. Don't worry about how fast you are running something, simply focus on the length of time or distance you are running. Running longer at this point is more important than running faster.
You can focus more on going faster for longer periods as your event draws near."

Hope this helps. JB
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Dr B... Q on Endurance - 10/11/04 06:29 PM

Sport specific conditioning is going to be more favorable in many instances than just running. In other words, wrestle if you're going to wrestle, box if you're going to box. Additional work to supplement isn't a bad idea, but I've known runners who couldn't last 2 minutes on the mat or in the ring.

-John

Re: Dr B... Q on Endurance - 10/12/04 09:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:
Sport specific conditioning is going to be more favorable in many instances than just running. In other words, wrestle if you're going to wrestle, box if you're going to box. Additional work to supplement isn't a bad idea, but I've known runners who couldn't last 2 minutes on the mat or in the ring.

-John
[/QUOTE]

Thing is Bud, runners run, my "event" happens to be a race, running in other words. So, i figured running was a good Idea (wonder why). Anyways thanks eveyone for the input, I have wrote up a shedual, and compiled it with my martial arts training too. So, I should be faster on my feet, and have more endurance than before... if i can follow through... it is a tough rutine i put down. (Nothing to hurt me though).. l8erz everyone and thank you again

~Brad~