Class size and its effects on teaching

Posted by: Chen Zen

Class size and its effects on teaching - 10/07/04 12:33 PM

Recently I have been sending emails back and forth with another martial artist and the topic of class sizes and student ability came up. Personally I dont teach a large group of students. About ten.

When a school becomes large the teacher and the student are both losing out. Teacher- student relations are minimized by having too many students. The student loses because he or she does not get the attention needed to fine tune their abilities and to ask questions that they may have. Instead they are left to find there own course, which is eventually good but not too early in one's training. Proper base abilities must be acquired first.
The teacher loses out because the caliber of his students isnt as satisfactory as it should be. So the standards are lessened to accomodate. Also the teacher does not know well the character of his students. How does a teacher make moral decisions on what techniques to teach the student if he does not know the intent of the student? I wouldnt want to teach a rear naked choke to someone so that he could use it to rape people.

Then there is also the stress of teaching in front of a large group. When you have less students you get to know them. You feel comfortable with them. Some go on to become like family. Communication is loose and free.

Studies suggest that public speaking can be one of the most stressful situations a person can put themselves in. If your teaching a large group of faces that you can barely put names to then you are are stressed and nervous. This could very easily make your technique suffer. Your technique could be flawless in the backyard but falter greatly in the dojo. Also putting your students at the disadvantage.

Also with large classes comes monetary issues. Larger classes means larger spaces. Larger spaces means more rent. Most of the time. Also with large classes you have more insurance to pay. So with larger classes, you have more students but make less money unless you charge the increase to the students and thats not right.

I'll never go back to teaching large classes. My students are bettier and happier and so am I. Daily downsizing as described by JKD! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Class size and its effects on teaching - 10/13/04 05:48 AM

i have to disagree at least a little there

you are right about teacher-student relationships being important but i dont feel they should suffer just because you are teaching larger classes.

I am very lucky to teach at a full time gym, we have just above 300 members now and i could tell you about each and every on of them. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Our students are at a very high standard, i think as a good instructor you should have no problems teaching infront of groups. whether its 5 close friends or a seminar with 500 people. After all they have come into your environment, you are the teacher and they the student.
You dont feel nervous when people come to visit your house. Or at least you shouldn't [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Also i dont think the money should be an issue. you have spent years aquiring your knowledge. On a very self centered level why shouldn't you recive something for passing it on?
but at the same time instructors are people too we also need to make a living. If i can make a living from my martial arts then i can spend more time teaching, rather than in another job just to support myself. I teah more, the students learn more Win-Win. I don't see why instructors are afraid to ask for money [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Class size and its effects on teaching - 10/13/04 05:33 PM

Tell me something, can you tell me the specific needs for all 300 of your students, do you get any one on one time with ALL of them, and it is morally flawed t ask for more than is neccisary(bad speller i know). This is no matter what religion you happen to participate in. Exploiting others pocket books, for you knowledge and guidence is something that should not happen on a large scale. This is my own humble opinion, nothing is going to change it, so don't try.

~Brad~

Re: Class size and its effects on teaching - 10/14/04 03:19 PM

not quite sure what your trying to say there ryuoni "Exploiting others pocket books, for you knowledge and guidence is something that should not happen on a large scale" just a little confused by that lol

as for the 300 students, i could tell you the needs of each and every kid that i teach directly. I make a point of having 1 on 1 time with them. After all its my job to see that they progress well. On top of that i genuinly care about each of them.
I could also tell you about all our other students.
We have 6 instructors who are at our gym everyday, we each teach our own classes but everyone knows everyone [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]