Blocking or Redirecting

Posted by: Anonymous

Blocking or Redirecting - 10/04/04 12:21 PM

What is the best way to avoid being hit with the two options given?
Out of those two what techniques do you use?
Posted by: MuayThai

Re: Blocking or Redirecting - 10/04/04 05:22 PM

oops never read it correctly

[This message has been edited by MuayThai (edited 10-04-2004).]
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Blocking or Redirecting - 10/04/04 10:57 PM

Redirection hands down. All the benefits of blocking and none of the downfalls.

Re: Blocking or Redirecting - 10/26/04 02:59 PM

it depends if you arent in position or dont have the strength to do damage with a block then redirect blocks are equally effective say attacker attempts to punch you in the face say raise you elbow into the line the elbow is the hardest joint in the body that block can break someones hand easily thats limb destruction Redirection advantage lies in offbalanceing your oppenent by leading them in the direction of their own force useing thier strength against them

Re: Blocking or Redirecting - 10/26/04 06:04 PM

Hi all

Here's my two cents...slightly off topic as well...
I would have to say that the best way of avoiding a strike....is don't be there....
I would place emphasis on evasion rather than redirection and blocking.
I know that in many traditional systems, blocking is still taught....my opinion is that blocking doesn't work...and the only way that blocking might work is if you are facing an opponent that is using the same style as you....(generally a style that requires you to retract the opposite arm to the rib cage).
Many traditionalists will argue that I have misunderstood the concept of blocking.... that the blocks taught are really strikes....if this is the case...then I can't understand why we call them "blocks" and teach them as an intercept to strikes?

If we are talking about striking arts...my opinion is that boxing type evasion holds the key.

How many times did Ali use a block in the ring?
It's not that easy to actually land a strike on a competent boxer....

Ideally...I personally like the clinch...once you've "tied up" the opponent..they can't hit you with much (boxers uses this as well)...

Humbly
The Wolf

[This message has been edited by The Wolf (edited 10-26-2004).]

Re: Blocking or Redirecting - 10/26/04 11:03 PM

excellent and mostly overlooked point wolf the best way is to avoid not only the attack but the whole conflict
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Blocking or Redirecting - 10/28/04 09:59 PM

I disagree. I KNOW blocking works. But they arent to be looked at as blocking in the traditional since. Its like using a stop hit but instead of striking the body, you attack the weapon.

Re: Blocking or Redirecting - 10/28/04 10:51 PM

Of course blocking works, if it didnt it would have been removed from hand to hand arts long ago. While blocking can be effective the discussion is: Is blocking a good way to go. Its my opinion(no disrespect intended to those who prefer blocking), that blocking is the least effective way to go and evasion would be the best when your blocking your risking damage to your self as generally your meeting force on force. The idea behind blocks is to cause a recoil. Some people are strong enough that they can cut right through blocks no matter how their done, then what. evasion also helps control distance and Redirection is probably the best way to go if your against someone much stronger then you, against such a fighter blocks are generally ineffective. But the best defense of all is simply avoiding the situation all together.

Re: Blocking or Redirecting - 10/29/04 11:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AgenT:
excellent and mostly overlooked point wolf the best way is to avoid not only the attack but the whole conflict [/QUOTE]

Lethal Striker said "with the two options given?". So therefore he did not over look it; you read the question poorly.

I would have to go with redirecting because you use less energy and power, you are basically unaffected, and it gives you the upper hand in a fight.

good luck and good fighting
-Zoltan

Re: Blocking or Redirecting - 10/30/04 01:28 AM

I was being general about evasion. To many people are so concerned with what do I do when the fight starts or what would you do. Few people think hmm what should I do to avoid, how do I get away without engaging. redirection/blocking both work it depends on your oppenent but they can fail just as easy. Why put yourself in a situation beyond your control. To many ppl are concerned with the fight itself. and not what causes violence and how to avoid. Simply put you dont have to block or redirect if you dont engage.

Re: Blocking or Redirecting - 10/31/04 01:57 PM

Okay. I agree on that too.

Re: Blocking or Redirecting - 11/01/04 10:57 AM

AgenT, quit being annoying! Re read the question, you only have two options. If you don't care for this thread then don't reply!
Answers like "you don't have to block or redirect if you do not engage" are a waste of time because they not only state the obvious but also fail to answer a direct question.
You may try again, if you choose.

Re: Blocking or Redirecting - 11/01/04 02:14 PM

Ok. then I guss the best answer I can give is both. but I'm not worried about it because I wouldnt put myself in a situation where I'd have to use ethier. Why put yoursef in a corner by ignoreing the third option. the obvious is what most people dont want to hear they prefer to focus on the violence once it has aready started. Not what to do to avoid. No disrespect intended in this post so do get pissed off at me.

Re: Blocking or Redirecting - 11/12/04 10:48 AM

Of the two choices, redirection is the more logical. It both stops the strike, and moves it off line from its target, plus it keeps it in use for a longer duration, allowing more openings for counters. Personally, I prefer a stop hit with good head placement. Then you don't even have to block