Do all jkd teachers teach jkd differently?

Posted by: Dfox

Do all jkd teachers teach jkd differently? - 09/08/04 01:24 AM

just curious how each teacher teachers jkd

[This message has been edited by Dfox (edited 09-08-2004).]
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Do all jkd teachers teach jkd differently? - 09/08/04 04:34 AM

Depends on the instructor really. 90% of them don't seem to have a clue. I've seen JKD taught in a lot of different places by a lot of different guys. One thing that stands out among them is how little aliveness in training they use and how little sparring they use. In that sense, many of them are the exact same.

But, what is taught can vary. Some guys have Bruce Lee blinders on and do nothing but have their students try and imitate HIM (which is anti JKD). Others teach everything (including the kitchen sink).

-John
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Do all jkd teachers teach jkd differently? - 09/08/04 07:49 AM

A teacher who does the kitchen sink but lets you practice what works for you is the best, in any MA.

I can't see why not.
Posted by: Dfox

Re: Do all jkd teachers teach jkd differently? - 09/10/04 01:20 AM

the 90% teachers your talking about are they certified?

i just now moved back to colorado there is only one teacher here http://www.blademartialarts.com/ is his site
how can i tell if this guy is certified?
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Do all jkd teachers teach jkd differently? - 09/10/04 04:00 AM

Just sign up and begin training there! You'll be glad you did.

-John
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Do all jkd teachers teach jkd differently? - 09/23/04 01:50 PM

Jeet Kune Do should not be taught different by each instructor, but rather differently to each student. This is because each student will apply what they learn differently, and hence need to be taught differently to make them the best they can be. Also, I am a strong believer that Jeet Kune Do should not be taught in large classes, it should be taught personally, one on one. At most a trainer should have 5 pupils, it would be too difficult for him to specifically train more than this many, because of thier individual needs. With that I make an End.
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: Do all jkd teachers teach jkd differently? - 09/23/04 02:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ryuoni:
Jeet Kune Do should not be taught different by each instructor, but rather differently to each student. This is because each student will apply what they learn differently, and hence need to be taught differently to make them the best they can be. Also, I am a strong believer that Jeet Kune Do should not be taught in large classes, it should be taught personally, one on one. At most a trainer should have 5 pupils, it would be too difficult for him to specifically train more than this many, because of thier individual needs. With that I make an End.[/QUOTE]

I concur!

[This message has been edited by DragonFire1134 (edited 09-23-2004).]