What makes JKD different?

Posted by: Anonymous

What makes JKD different? - 08/27/04 11:40 AM

What makes jkd different from other arts, specifically kung fu from which bruce lee originated?
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: What makes JKD different? - 08/27/04 01:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by coxne:
What makes jkd different from other arts, specifically kung fu from which bruce lee originated?[/QUOTE]

The difference, I believe, is in it's approach to self defense. JKD doesn't look at combat from any one angle in particular, its looks at everything from every angle. Its about learning to see the truth, which is ever changing, so therefor a style is a crystalized method of fighting, but jkd encouraged constant growth and is really like water, very flexible and allows one to adapt to the situation.
JKD really can't be compared to any style, its the exact opposite that.

I don't know if you read the topic "What is JKD" in the MA Talk forum, so I'll post the link here:
http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002832.html

[This message has been edited by DragonFire1134 (edited 08-27-2004).]

Re: What makes JKD different? - 08/27/04 01:25 PM

Thanks. I am studying shaolin-kung fu, and was just curious. thanks
Posted by: JKogas

Re: What makes JKD different? - 08/27/04 05:10 PM

I don't know that it's that different from other things. Everything that has punching and kicking will tend to be somewhat similar and will stay that way until some 6-limbed alien comes down to invent a new style.

I guess you could say that it's the way it's trained. But then again, I'm sure that there are countless arts which may train the exact same way. Ultimately, JKD is just a name.

-John

Re: What makes JKD different? - 09/29/04 03:32 PM

At any given time JKD can appear to be wing chun. However most would agree that wing chun has specific skills that must be taught a certain way. Thus wing chun has become a style with the inherent limitations of fixed forms. JKD represents a non-style, there are no fixed boundries. As Bruce said "In this art effeciency is anything that scores".
The original JKD taught and practiced by Bruce was very much a renovated wing chun/kickboxing system. By 1971 however Lee had disbaned the JKD kwoon and asked his students not to teach the modified/refined wing chun (and other arts) and call it JKD. He was concerned, according to author John Little, that his students would mistake the physical skills for the art of JKD. JKD became a philosophy for achieving freedom from the limitations of fixed styles (like wing chun). However the philosophy of JKD can be incorporated in wing chun to liberate the practice. Some would say this destroyes the original intent of wing chun ,other would argue it improves the art. You get to choose which approach you beleive.
Jerry Beasley,Ed.D.
Author "The Jeet Kune Do Experience" www.aikia.net
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: What makes JKD different? - 09/30/04 02:41 AM

A good example of modern JKD. Would be the UFC. Due to the fact it is ever evolving. JKD by nature is progressive, ever changing. Taking the best of everything and making an effective hybrid.

For example. Royce Gracie used to dominate in the originals UFC's. But Royce had a flaw, he was only open to one style. His style. The ground game. He never evolved his Muay Thai, or stand up game at all. Well it doesn't take long for the smart fighters to realize that if you mix Muay Thai and BJJ or other arts togeather. You have a much better system. The last fight I saw Royce in the ring, he got destroyed by a fighter well versed in Muay Thai and BJJ. Royce was helpless in the ring. He never conditioned his legs to take thai kicks, he never practiced his jab or even pound and ground. By the end of the fight Royce couldn't even stand and was fighting from his back on the ground, getting stomped on.

So you could say that JKD is the lack of contentment. Adaptation and assimilation.

The club I train JKD in was a mix of several martial arts, for the most part BJJ and Muay Thai, though we would take good techniques from every where. CFU Burton and his JKD Unlimited. We also took alot of techniques from the Steve Blauer system. When learning new techniques it was up to each student as an indvidual to decide weather or not to add it to our arsenal. Emphasis was often on techniques that fit your body type. Cause there are techniques that wont work so well for or against different body types. So we are encouraged to use techniques we are comfortable with and enjoy.

I like this approach, cause all the students had the same core techniques, the same basic packadge. Yet each students style was unique, and when sparring you have to adapt to each students style individually.I personally don't believe in training in just one style, even if it is a JKD school. JKD is what you make it.

"Too have all style is to have no style."
Bruce Lee

I hope that helps you with understanding the essence JKD.
Posted by: John_C

Re: What makes JKD different? - 09/30/04 02:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by otobeawanker:

He never evolved his Muay Thai, or stand up game at all. Well it doesn't take long for the smart fighters to realize that if you mix Muay Thai and BJJ or other arts togeather. You have a much better system. The last fight I saw Royce in the ring, he got destroyed by a fighter well versed in Muay Thai and BJJ. Royce was helpless in the ring. He never conditioned his legs to take thai kicks, he never practiced his jab or even pound and ground. By the end of the fight Royce couldn't even stand and was fighting from his back on the ground, getting stomped on.
[/QUOTE]

What fight was that? The last thing I saw Royce in was the fight with Yoshida, and that was pretty much an overlong, ground based stalemate. And Yoshida's no thai boxer.
Posted by: otobeawanker

Re: What makes JKD different? - 09/30/04 03:03 AM

I think it was part of the pride series. It was a a year or two ago.