Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more?

Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 08/27/04 10:24 AM

I don't know if this is mutual thing wIth Jkd practitioners,But where i live & from what i've seen, the Jkd practitioners hardly do any kicking techniques. Any thoughts.
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 08/27/04 01:07 PM

Well, jkd is different for everyone, so I wouldn't doubt that at all. The fact is you can defend yourself without ever throwing a kick. When they do kick, its generally low, say to the groin or shin. And its generally used to either;

A)Bridge the gap

or

B)Stop hit
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 08/28/04 07:35 AM

Sure why not? There are a LOT of kickers in JKD.

-John
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 08/28/04 08:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:

-John
[/QUOTE]

Jkogas, It must only happen in the area where i live, & umm,You would'nt know why would you?Or doe's it depend on where a person lives? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif[/IMG] PS Sorry i could'nt phrase it very well,I only had 2 hours sleep.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 08/28/04 01:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:

-John
[/QUOTE]

I am. I use only about three different kicks but at different ranges and levels of height. Also Im constantly working on the delivery of them at different angles and in different situations. Nearly all JKD is different from School to school so there is a wide variety of practitioners who's "style" vary greatly.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 09/27/04 08:24 AM

The main kicks we learn are thigh shot, groin shot and oblique and of course stop hit
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 09/27/04 05:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jaysun:
The main kicks we learn are thigh shot, groin shot and oblique and of course stop hit[/QUOTE]

Stop hits are golden!

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 02/21/05 03:28 AM

In my gym my instructor is focusing alot on the trapping range, since all the striking tools can be brought into use at this range.

At this range a kick is rather easily obstructed by putting your leg close to the opponents, leaving no room to kick, enabling you to feel a weight shift, so that a kick can be stopped simply from putting forward pressure on the opponents leg.

I mainly aim my kicks are the knee, groin, shin and thigh to;

1: bridge the gap
2: as a opening for a punch(low-high)
3: stophit and intercept

of course it can be used differently, but this the way I like to do it.
I like to kick as little as possible, as kicking leaves only one foot on the ground(obviously), leaving you more suscepticle(spelling) to sweeps and more likely to be thrown off balance than when throwing a punch.

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 02/21/05 08:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kook ha:
In my gym my instructor is focusing alot on the trapping range, since all the striking tools can be brought into use at this range.
[/QUOTE]

I hope you have a good instructor because it is very hard to work good trapping into self defense.

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 02/21/05 01:44 PM

i think its more situational, if the two fighters are never in kicking(long range)range, why would they throw the kick?

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 02/22/05 01:05 AM

When you write that it is "hard to work good trapping into self defence" I get the feeling that you are think of performing a trapping, I'm not, I'm thinking of the range of trapping. I wouldn't go for a trap, a trapping should happen instinctively when the opportunity is there.

I am simply talking about the range between punching and clinch.
Most streetfighters will focus a lot of their energy to try and push you away to throw a punch, or pull you in så they can grab a hold of you, all the while you let headbutts, elbows, knees and short-range punches and kicks fly.
Posted by: Chang Wufei

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 02/22/05 02:51 PM

I thought this was a joke.

NOTHING will ever be banned from Jeet Kune Do.

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 02/22/05 07:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kook ha:
When you write that it is "hard to work good trapping into self defence" I get the feeling that you are think of performing a trapping, I'm not, I'm thinking of the range of trapping. I wouldn't go for a trap, a trapping should happen instinctively when the opportunity is there.

I am simply talking about the range between punching and clinch.
Most streetfighters will focus a lot of their energy to try and push you away to throw a punch, or pull you in så they can grab a hold of you, all the while you let headbutts, elbows, knees and short-range punches and kicks fly.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did misread your post. Good to hear that you arent just trapping away with no regard to other training. Even the best at it, (WC) fall short eventually.

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 02/27/05 12:51 AM

I kick quite a bit. I have a height advantage over a lot of people and with that come my longer legs. If I can reach them and they can't reach me, well that's just awesome. I like the jump step-behind side-kick a lot. I'll use pretty much any kick that can land, even the spinning back kick if I think it might work.

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 02/28/05 01:42 AM

i really like the pendulum step kick. You can make a guy go flying with that one. I do jump front kicks, and the basic front and side kicks. also the thai style roundhouse. thas about it.

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 02/28/05 04:01 PM

I find it odd how you seem to discourage anything but low kicks yet Bruce Lee himself used kicks to the solar plexus and head liberally.

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 03/02/05 07:29 PM

it was bruce who discouraged high kicks in a real fight. He said to kick no higher than the waist because it overextends your stance. Again, we must separate what lee did in his films vs. what he advocated for the street.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 03/04/05 06:34 AM

If you accept that JKD is a philosophy as opposed to a fighting style, there's no reason not to incorporate kicking into your reportoire.

Further, if you can make high kicks work, there's no reason not to incorporate them into your own fighting style and still be considered to be practicing JKD.

In addition, if you don't do high kicks, because someone tells you not to, you are probably going against the original thoughts behind JKD.

JohnL

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 03/04/05 10:07 AM

Yes. IMHO it's better to try oneself and analyze one's experience than to take a ready routine and let that decide for me. Bruce thought exactly the same way.

"I hope that martial artists are more interested in the rest of the martial arts and not the decorative branches, flowers or leaves. It is futile to argue as to which single leaf, which design of branches or which attractive flower you like; when you understand the root, you understand it’s all blossoming." – Bruce Lee

Sorry, but the guy had an ready answer for this.

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 03/04/05 10:30 AM

Quote by JohnL:

[QUOTE]If you accept that JKD is a philosophy as opposed to a fighting style, there's no reason not to incorporate kicking into your reportoire.

Further, if you can make high kicks work, there's no reason not to incorporate them into your own fighting style and still be considered to be practicing JKD.

In addition, if you don't do high kicks, because someone tells you not to, you are probably going against the original thoughts behind JKD.[/QUOTE]

*sound of worms being stuffed back into can*

Any other JKD folks wincing at the thought of that dilemma? I myself still practice chi sao and high kicks, while working the clinch and boxing.

WTF am I doing?

Re: Doe's Jkd allow kicking any more? - 04/04/05 07:18 AM

Your own JKD ;-)

I don't use high kicks often because I don't like the idea of being on one foot (balance sake). Plus that I'm not that lean ;-).

I do use kicks combined with circling. For example: Stepping out and give a kick or knee to the chest.

I also use the following kicking techniques:
- Low kick: to the thighs and knees
- Side kick: to the SP and chest
- Stop hit kick: to stop the opponent or even
stall him for a few millisecs so I can make
another move.
- Low front kick to the knees or shin: To
distract.

But it's true I find that most people are afraid of fighting at very close range. You invade their field. People don't like that ;-)

So I practise elbow blows, short range punches, short range knees (clinching), etc.

I also practise intercepting and countering. Which can be done seperately or at the same time. I found that if you switch rythm the opponents are confused. This works very well for me.

Grtz Randy