5 ways of attack

Posted by: JKogas

5 ways of attack - 08/20/04 09:51 PM

Do you all know what they are? How do you perform them? Do you do them just like Bruce did or are you creative with them?

Thoughts?

-John
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: 5 ways of attack - 08/21/04 07:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:
Do you all know what they are? How do you perform them? Do you do them just like Bruce did or are you creative with them?

Thoughts?

-John
[/QUOTE]

Oh boy, lets see here...

In general, or as Bruce was trying to describe before his death, there are basically five ways of attack. I had read before in the Tao of JKD that this was unfinished when he died, so there may be a number of variations but I think they are;

• SDA -- simple direct attack -- (Like a straight lead, or low shin kick)

• SAA -- simple angular attack -- (like a lead hook or a hook kick to the leg)

• PIA -- Progressive Indirect Attack -- (My favorite, its a like follow up after a number of feints, whereas the feint can be used to either close the gap, or just to get their hands [or attention] away from the target you've chosen)

• ABC -- Attack by Combination -- (Just as it says, can be after any of these ways of attack)

• HIA or FIA -- Hand/Foot immobilization, I think its just called IA though -- (again its basically just like it says, the guy can't counter, block or evade)

• ABD -- Attack by drawing -- (purposely leaving an area of the body open in order to draw a certain reaction from the opponent; say holding your hands low to get them to attack high, at your head, or even holding your hands high to get them to attack low!)

I just counted 6, so I guess the SAA and SDA could be combined and put under just SA, or simple attack?

Anyway I Do a lot of solo practice at home on a paper target (beats not doing anything!). I'm really not to sure exactly how bruce did it so I don't know how creative I am about it.

When I get the chance to spar with my cousin, we concetrate on perfecting these attacks one at a time. Its not free style sparring for this part, we just stand at different ranges and we TRY to land an attack while the other man TRYS to evade or counter the best way possible.

In actual free-sparring with him I noticed generally most all my attacks are either PIA, or ABD, which imo opinion is essentialy a counter attack based on the opponents reaction at that particular time.

John, as a grappler, I'm interested in knowing how you view and perform these five ways of attack?
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: 5 ways of attack - 08/22/04 03:19 PM

I try to use them all. mostly I use PIA and SDA. A few Kicks low, Feint, combination high, for example.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: 5 ways of attack - 08/26/04 12:36 AM

I like mixing it up ... and interchange the methods constantly as the battle continuously is in motion . . . incorporating using different gates/high & low lines/angular lines ... etc.

Humbly,

Re: 5 ways of attack - 08/30/04 07:10 PM

Two examples of a progressive indirect attack for grappling might be as follows:

Throw a jab/cross/rear leg round kick combination. Back out. Step in and throw another jab/cross and this time drop your level and shoot in for the takedown.

An example while on the ground might be:

Transition from cross-body into modified scarfhold when your opponent attempts to escape his hips. Step over your opponent's face with your rear leg. He counters by throwing the leg off with his far hand. You then transition into the barbed-wire choke.

An example of ABD on the ground:

You take a mount position on your opponent and you leave one leg a little loose to bait the bridge and roll. When he traps that leg in preparation, you hit a kneelock by straightening the leg and grabbing his foot.

There are countless others. All you have to do is use your imagination.

-John
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: 5 ways of attack - 08/30/04 11:59 PM

Impressive. Thats one thing you dont see enough, a smooth transition from a strike to a takedown. But when you do its beautiful and if it happens to you, you know you have your hands full.

Re: 5 ways of attack - 08/31/04 04:27 AM

Watching someone like Erik Paulson is great because he demonstrates it beautifully. Randy Couture is another example of someone who mixes strikes and takedowns seamlessly.

-John