Re: Finally

Posted by: White-Tiger

Re: Finally - 08/12/04 06:48 AM

Looks like this is going to be a great board. Looking forward to seeing some inteligent posts around here. Congrats on the moderator position Chen Zen im sure you will do a great job.

Chris
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Re: Finally - 08/12/04 09:37 AM

Allright Chen you need to start us off with a few good threads.

I posted in another forum asking for your help on footwork drills (my footwork is terrible). Just thought I'd re-post it here in case you don't look at the other often.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Re: Finally - 08/12/04 11:01 PM

One of my favorite is a drill where you pivot on one foot at 90 degree angles. It test the balance and the footwork and this is a move that is often overlooked for defense. Also I do shuffling drills, up and down the yard. I have a waveMaster, and I stand it in an empty room and box circles around it. Jumprope and dodgeball help too.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Re: Finally - 08/13/04 12:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DragonFire1134:
I feel it doesn't matter what style you train in, the philosophy and concepts of JKD can be extremely helpful, and a real eye opener. JKD can be applied to any art in the Combat world. [/QUOTE]

I concur. If you see different styles as different armies or different models of small arms, JKD is a refined system of principles and strategy that anyone can use. I must say our dojo's Sensei should get some credit, he is open minded and introduced us all to JKD and Bruce Lee.

I think as long as people fight full contact, they arrive at a psoition somewhat similar to the principles of JKD anyway.

I have no doubt through my instructors, JKD has influenced me anyway.

In the final years of high school, a mate of mine who was a child TKD State champion and a Wing Chun practitioner and Bruce Lee worshipper, came to a semi formal arrangement of semi contact sparring once every week at lunch, in a disused classroom. Unfortunately, we didn't have the inclination to move enough stuff around to make grappling safe, so this was not practiced.

Needless to say it was a fun and worthwhile introduction to JKD. The differneces in style were apparent, I had a choice for front kicks and a very open, straight line stance, versus a side on, preference for side kicks. After the sparring, we could discuss what happened and what would be best to counter it or gain domonance for a week, until the next session was on.
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: Re: Finally - 08/13/04 05:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Hill:
I think as long as people fight full contact, they arrive at a psoition somewhat similar to the principles of JKD anyway.
[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly right. Through full contact sparring they learn what works, and what doesn't work, no matter what method of fighting they practice.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chen Zen:
Also I do shuffling drills, up and down the yard. I have a waveMaster, and I stand it in an empty room and box circles around it. Jumprope and dodgeball help too.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say that skipping rope is excellent for footwork, as it teaches the body how to control its weight. Or to be "light on your feet". Especially when you alternate your left and right in front of you each time the rope passes. I also like dodgeball, but I never used it for footwork though, it never crossed my mind! I imagine it would be a great drill.

I will tell you something else I also find helpful, and thats hacky sac. Not only is it a good endurance workout, it has improved my footwork balance, body coordination and leg agility tremendously.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Re: Finally - 08/13/04 10:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DragonFire1134:
I was going to say that skipping rope is excellent for footwork, as it teaches the body how to control its weight. Or to be "light on your feet". Especially when you alternate your left and right in front of you each time the rope passes. I also like dodgeball, but I never used it for footwork though, it never crossed my mind! I imagine it would be a great drill.

I will tell you something else I also find helpful, and thats hacky sac. Not only is it a good endurance workout, it has improved my footwork balance, body coordination and leg agility tremendously.
[/QUOTE]

I use to be pretty good at hacky sack! I cant believe I forgot that, it use to be one of my favorite activities.