Insurance and training

Posted by: dazzler

Insurance and training - 11/18/03 07:33 AM

The club that I am involved with has a policy whereby no-one is allowed to train without insurance.

This is fairly cheap...along with national federation membership it comes out at 15 pound per year.

It is also on a member to member basis so everyone has to be insured in event of a problem.

However we do get some window shoppers that want to train a few times before committing, as it stands these guys either sign up and then dont get value for money or they say 'thanks but no thanks' and slip away.

With the UK legal system moving ever closer to the USA I think this is something that we just have to live with..

How does everyone else handle this?

Cheers

D
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Insurance and training - 11/18/03 09:30 AM

I've just done an insurance review for the English Karate Governing Body.

The person to person insurance that goes with your association registration probably cost your association less than £1, you should see the policy document and ensure that you have a minimum of £5m cover in case you are sued by another practitioner.

More importantly, anyone teaching you should have a minimum of £5m professional indemnity cover - and you should be able to see their insurance policy document from the insurance company with their name on it (not an association certificate as there are many 'scams" around).

Another really important point for all UK instructors with professional indemnity insurance to understand is the difference between "claims made" and "claims occurring" on their policy. "Claims made" means that all the time that you are covered by the policy you are covered for any event whenever it occurred, but when you cease cover you need a 'run off" policy because you're not covered for whenever when the policy stops.

"Claims occurring" means that you are covered for the term of the insurance only.

Many people this year have switched from one type of policy to the other as the claims occurring policy is cheaper and it means that they are not covered for the past.......

Be warned.... this is REALLY important!
Posted by: dazzler

Re: Insurance and training - 11/19/03 04:52 AM

Thanks Bossman.

I think insurance is an issue thats taken a bit casually by some.

Fall outs over it have ended up with instructors leaving the club which is a shame but unfortunately 1 claim could ruin an instructors finances.

Are you like us in restricting practice until insurance is in place?

D

Re: Insurance and training - 11/19/03 06:28 AM

Everyone is insured at my Dojo as soon as they walk in the door. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Posted by: immrtldragon

Re: Insurance and training - 11/21/03 02:26 PM

My club does not carry this type of insurance...I'm in the states. I have actually never seen this type of insurance. Every club I've ever been in, including mine, has a waiver that must be signed claiming you know the risk(s) involved and participate at your own risk.

Re: Insurance and training - 11/22/03 02:36 AM

The problem, (certainly in English law) is that's not worth the paper it's written on. You can't sign away your human rights. If you take up Martial Arts then you assume the risk that's "reasonable" in your in the art. BUT Every person and Instructor has a duty of care to act in reasoneable manner. In any sport there are accepted standards of coaching like ensuring that the facilities are safe for the purpose that you are using them for, that everyone wears appropriate clothing and acts in a proper and safe manner. That the the Instructor has sufficient training in the art and proper qualifications and training in coaching (in England that would be an NVQ or similar qualification). He should also be able to exercise proper control over the actions of other students.

You cannot waive your rights and a parent certainly cannot do that on behalf of a child.

A £5m professional indemnity insurance plus a proper coaching qualification would be a wise investment for any Instructor in England at this time.