help with student

Posted by: kibadachi1

help with student - 12/12/12 10:02 AM

i have a student that doesn't trust the techniques and wants to go harder to make sure they work. i tell students to go easy on each other. lots of times injured students don't come back i don't believe you need to get injured to learn martial arts. when the student questions the technique its a little insulting to the instructor and everyone that has passed the technique on. in my dojo its training if you want to test your skills find a tournament or cage. ever had a student that didn't trust or believe in the techniques you were showing them? how can you make them believers without hurting them?
Posted by: Matakiant

Re: help with student - 12/12/12 06:30 PM

A teacher is supposed to be able to make the technique work i.o sort of speak for itself, make the student want to learn it.

If that condition is truly met and the student still is ''going hard'' then the problem must be within the student.

At worst he either likes hurting others or is unsure of himself, simply doesn't understand the difference between training and fighting or something else...
Posted by: cxt

Re: help with student - 12/12/12 07:00 PM

Kiba

I have never hurt students---on the other hand I have seen people get hurt because they did not follow directions and did not take the techique seriously.

You don't mention the students age--could that be a factor?

I have seen older student, "older" as in "adult with some training" switch disciplines and take a while to warm up to stuff that was "new" to them...and during the learning phase they didn't really respect the technique.

Depending on the technique I'd put the student on the heavy bag and let them work the bag as long and as hard as they wished.

If it is a technique that needs a partner, I'd switch it around and let the "go harder" guy be the uki for the techinique and let folks crank it up on HIM for while--DON'T hurt the person, just let them "feel" the tech for a while--that should let them "know" if it "works."

If it is a habit--then its better to lose ONE student than to lose a whole bunch of people this idiot is hurting and chasing off--because that is exactly what is going to happen.

IMO not every tech is going to usful for every person---its not a question of "effective" its just there are some thing that not everyone is going to be able to "get." Maybe the student has doubts because they can't really use that/those particular tech?
Posted by: kibadachi1

Re: help with student - 12/13/12 09:09 AM

the student is around 50ish and at that age your body don't heal so good. i understand sometimes new students are going to be skeptical of the techniques. it was a simple wrist escape with a partner and he wanted his partner to resist really hard. your right i should of had them change and make him uki and let folks crank it up on him. if you can't follow instructions and go hard on a simple wrist escape i don't really want to show anything more dangerous were there serious chance of injury to ya. Thanks for the advice guys.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: help with student - 12/14/12 09:39 PM

Hello kibadachi1:

"Old thread" grin but important issue in many ways.

One of the things ALL teachers must be aware of at all times are the pairing of students. Some people are a serious problem if allowed to pair up. Skeptic is fine, UNTIL someone is harmed that was simply not necessary.

If two people agree BEFORE HAND that they are going to try X (at full power), and, and it is approved of between them, then IMHO there is no foul. But asking someone to resist simply so you can demonstrate the technique at full power is irresponsible, and arrogent. I dont think this works so Im going to find out... stupidity 101.

Understanding the techniques work, self-control is what is entirely lacking. Anyone with serious experience can make power, and earnest pain very, very slowly, seemingly "gently".

How bad was the damage?
Jeff
Posted by: aplant

Re: help with student - 01/08/13 11:52 AM

Quote:
when the student questions the technique its a little insulting to the instructor and everyone that has passed the technique on.

Really? Be interested to know why you feel this way.