Starting Your Own Club

Posted by: shadows_fall

Starting Your Own Club - 11/09/08 05:38 AM

Hi there,
I have been attending for the last few weeks now a new dojo in the area, and I had a question I was wondering if all of you experienced chaps out there with your dojo's could answer me please...

This club I am now training with doesn't have any insurance - no public liability, no teacher to student or student to student insurance of any type, instead they make everyone that comes in the door sign a comprehensive disclaimer saying that basically what ever happens is your own fault..

Is this allowed? Would that hold up in a court of law?

I'm a little concerned training like that..

Any response would be deeply and sincerely appreciated.

Kindest Regards,
SF.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Starting Your Own Club - 11/10/08 01:47 AM

Quote:

Hi there,
I have been attending for the last few weeks now a new dojo in the area, and I had a question I was wondering if all of you experienced chaps out there with your dojo's could answer me please...

This club I am now training with doesn't have any insurance - no public liability, no teacher to student or student to student insurance of any type, instead they make everyone that comes in the door sign a comprehensive disclaimer saying that basically what ever happens is your own fault..

We do basically the same thing at my goju club.

At my judo dojo they do the same as well, but you have to be a member of USJA which insures you during class or tournaments.

Quote:

Is this allowed? Would that hold up in a court of law?

Allowed? Yes. Hold up? Depends on the states laws, the circumstances and how good your attorney is.

Quote:

I'm a little concerned training like that..

Then don't. Seriously, no one is forcing you to do anything, thus, the waiver.

Any response would be deeply and sincerely appreciated.

Kindest Regards,
SF.

Be cool!
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: Starting Your Own Club - 11/10/08 05:39 AM

It sounds fairly standard to me and I agree with everything in the previous post. If you want insurance through the school, class prices will increase dramatically. There's nothing stopping you from getting your own, of course.