Advertising in Schools

Posted by: Aeges

Advertising in Schools - 01/06/08 12:22 AM

Hello there. I’m looking to try to extend the reach of my historic broadsword school, and after searching, I’ve found a lot of helpful hints. We already have a website, but I think it would be best at this point just to get the word out that the school actually exists. I am going the rout of fliers first.

I live in a very school rich area, with in 2 miles of each other there are; 1 elementary, 1 secondary, and 1 high school, and a State College campus, not to mention a private girls school. So there are kids around 24/7 between the ages of 5 to 30.

My question is, how do you go about getting your fliers, or any advertisement in general, up at a school you don’t go to , or one of your students don’t go to. I cant think I could just walk in to a high school (not in this day-in-age anyway) and just post up a few fliers and leave.

Should I call them up and ask in advanced, or just post fliers outside, but “around” the school in hopes that as people enter and exit they would see it.?

I don’t have many qualms about the college campus though, it seems like its open enough that I can just walk up to a board and post a flier.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Advertising in Schools - 01/06/08 02:14 AM

Before you start posting any fliers on any school property, I'd meet with the principal, dean, whom ever is in charge of that campus. This way if parents ask the principal/dean questions like "What's this guy like?" they can answer them with a "He's great. Real nice fella. Met with him the other day and seems like a nice guy." Of course this is just my 2 cents.

Casey
Posted by: BrianRVanCise

Re: Advertising in Schools - 01/06/08 09:24 AM

Most public schools (almost all due to liability) will not allow flier's to be posted on their property unless you are part of the exteneded community/school network. ie: you teach out of one fo the schools.

Private Schools and College campuses are vastly differnt and in general if you talk to the Principal of a private school you might have a chance but do not count on it. Colleges are open and receptive and in general do not mind people placing fliers as long as they are put in the right places or on the right bulleting boards.

Personally the one thing I do that benefits my students is that if they refer a student to train and that person signs up they get a free month of training. This seems to always keep new people coming in and helps defry some of my best students overall cost if they choose to participate. Good luck!
Posted by: ironsifu

Re: Advertising in Schools - 03/25/08 03:27 AM

go to your city school board office building, and find out about getting *approve* flyer to send to schools near you. they will make you give them a flyer and informations about your place. then when they give you a "vendor ID" you have to put this number on the flyer, and usually some kind of sentence, like "sacramento unified school district does not endorse this business and is not affiliated..." at the bottom. then you will have to call each school to find out how many kids in each grade level. when you deliver them they have to be already seprated with a paper clips or rubber bands and a sticky to say which grade and how many you have. but this is for high school only, in my town, but i'm sure its probably tha same where you live.
Posted by: zhongbei

Re: Advertising in Schools - 08/20/08 11:56 PM

advertising is not allowed
Posted by: TKD_X

Re: Advertising in Schools - 08/25/08 09:20 PM

it doesn't hurt to ask to do a demo or a presentation about strangers for the whole school to get the word out. offer a free self defense class at the college. flyers only do so much. action shows people what it's about.