Using video promotions...

Posted by: aiki456

Using video promotions... - 12/30/07 01:21 PM

My school has recently begun posting free instructional videos (very short, 50-90 seconds) on the web as a way of promoting interest in the school and it has been very successful. If you already own a video cam and some editing software there's really no cost and a lot of upside potential. If you're interested, check out our latest video which demonstrates a gun disarm... http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1005325/gun_disarm_1/
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Using video promotions... - 12/30/07 07:00 PM

It sure is a good idea, especially with free services like youtube.

You just need to make sure that you put liability waivers/disclaimers on them. People are really lawsuit happy and you don't want to get sued if someone tries these things and gets hurt - either in the street or practicing them at home.

Re: Using video promotions... - 12/30/07 08:13 PM

Excellent point Jim! Going forward, I think I will definitely do that. Thanks.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Using video promotions... - 12/30/07 08:50 PM

Interesting knife disarm.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/943652/knife_defense_knife_held_at_side_of_neck/

Re: Using video promotions... - 12/31/07 11:39 AM

It is a great disarm; the only mistake I made in filming it (which I corrected on the gun disarm video) is not showing it at full speed. You really miss the beauty of this technique when it's done slowly. As with any technique though, if it's not practiced thoroughly, you'll never react instinctively enough to pull it off.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Using video promotions... - 01/02/08 12:43 AM

when you say this is an 'effective' knife disarm...what exactly are you basing that claim on? no resistance and only slow-speed w/compliance was demonstrated, so I'm wondering.

Re: Using video promotions... - 01/02/08 10:01 AM

Yes, as I mentioned, the mistake we made when filming the knife disarm was concentrating solely on showing the steps for performing it using slow, methodical movements on a compliant opponent. We've just started creating these videos and are learning something new with each one. But to answer your question, I'm basing my statement on seeing (and practicing) it at full speed. And, as I mentioned previously, like any other MA technique, it must be practiced repeatedly until it is a reaction. If you have to stop and think about it, you most likely will not live to regret it.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Using video promotions... - 01/02/08 07:29 PM

Ahhhh yes....nothing like the expression on someones face after shooting first time in full auto.

Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Using video promotions... - 01/03/08 01:49 AM

whats kindof funny to see are clips of a guy in a ninja uniform doing similar techniques, and everyone seeing it as crap...yet put a black t-shirt and some camo-pants on and do the same stuff - suddenly it becomes 'street effective'.

hey, I'm usually wrong...just sharing an odd thought.

Re: Using video promotions... - 01/03/08 11:34 AM

LOL Yeah Schanne, that's me getting my headset knocked off and stumbling backward.

Re: Using video promotions... - 01/03/08 11:39 AM

You're right Ed, some folks make snap decisions based on clothing and outward appearances, allowing it to prejudice their opinion, and they don't take the time to truly evaluate the technique and try it for themselves.

Re: Using video promotions... - 01/09/08 01:20 PM

Does anyone know which area of the forum would be the proper place to post new videos as we produce them? I'd love to get feedback on what we are doing well and what could be improved, as well as ideas for new videos.

Thank you!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Using video promotions... - 01/09/08 02:35 PM

Just put them in the Martial Arts Talk forum. That is the most traveled one on the site.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Using video promotions... - 01/09/08 02:37 PM

I don't know. I was going to suggest that the admin rename the Member Services to 'Member Announcements'...or something like that. With a subsection for blogs/websites/etc.

Re: Using video promotions... - 01/09/08 10:44 PM

MattJ/harlan - thank you for the responses. The MA talk forum does sound like the best place.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Using video promotions... - 03/03/08 05:46 PM

I would tend to agree with Ed. Not crazy about the tactical merits of the technique.

Kudos to you for making the video work for your school though.