Games for kids?

Posted by: Ironfoot

Games for kids? - 10/10/07 01:08 PM

Somehow I got roped into teaching 5 to 8 year olds karate. They need to be entertained as much as instructed, apparently. I've come up with a few MA-related games, but what else does everyone have to share?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Games for kids? - 10/10/07 01:43 PM

Try these:

http://www.4kicks.com/

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...50#Post15813810

Re: Games for kids? - 10/10/07 04:23 PM

On behalf of @20 rug rats, thanks a million, Matt!
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Games for kids? - 10/10/07 04:48 PM

Ironfoot, the kiddos in my class LOVE to play judo tag. Pair the kids up by size and tie a bandana around one ankle on each kid. They sit back to back and when you say "go" they stay on all fours and try to get the other's bandana. If no bandana is pulled in about 30-45 minutes, it's a draw. Of course you can go longer if class time allows.
We also play TKD volleyball. Divide the class into two teams. Hang a rope across at around your hip level. Have the kids kick a balloon (filled of course) over the rope. They can't kick it more than 3 times and the same person can't kick it two times in a row. If it touches the ground, the other team gets a point. You serve everytime by dropping the balloon in the middle (from up high).
PM me if things aren't clear.

Re: Games for kids? - 10/11/07 05:26 PM

Thanks, clmibb! The baloon volleyball should use up half an hour at a time. I've come to the realization these kids need fun physical activity first, and karate second, although I'll TRY to get their kicks right.

Re: Games for kids? - 10/11/07 06:01 PM

Oh absolutly! Wear them out so they aren't fidgiting so much. Same principle that Ceaser Milan on "The Dog Whisperer" preaches. I tired puppy is a good puppy; a tired 7 year old is a good 7 year old. Often times instead of streatching the kids out, we warm them up by playing games. Good luck and remember to keep your sense of humor with the kids.

Casey
Posted by: jschrodt

Re: Games for kids? - 10/15/07 09:18 PM

I've always done games in the last 5 mintues of my 45 min class. They're used as a reward and motivation if the kids work hard and at least pay a little bit of attention. This even works with my 4-5 yr olds. I've always made it my philosophy to do karate first and a related game second.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Games for kids? - 10/16/07 11:48 AM

Just remember, never to call them games, they're "drills".

Every drill can be made into a "game" Thats one of the reasons we have the pushup/bonus system. If you do something badly, you get pushups (5 or 10 depending on how bad it was) or bonuses if it was really good, which get you out of doing pushups later.

Make a contest out of whatever you are doing. See how many times a student can kick the bag without putting their foot down, or who can get through a martial arts obstacle course the fastest etc and then see if they can best their own scores the next time. If they don't pushups, if they do, bonuses!

Laura

Re: Games for kids? - 10/16/07 12:01 PM

Laura, we have a similar "reward" system. We usually have the kids divided up in to three groups for obsticle courses. The team that comes in last does 6 push ups, second place does 4, and first does 2. The kids get a kick out of it (my instructor is really good at making them think they are going to get away without push-ups for that round). Keep it fun and sneek a lesson in with the games. The key is that all the games/drills should have a purpose. Developing balance, teamwork, agility, strengthening (keep it light when they are young), endurance.

Casey

Re: Games for kids? - 10/16/07 03:28 PM

Funny thing: I divided the class into 2 teams. The contest was block/punch/kick as in rock/paper/scissors. The losing team had to do 10 pushups, but the winning team thought that looked like fun, too, so they did 10!
Posted by: Jeff_G

Re: Games for kids? - 10/16/07 09:10 PM

I still have a bag of balloons in my bag and I don't even teach anymore.

The first thing we did was tell them to keep the balloon off the floor...NO HANDS. Next thing you know they threw two hundred kicks and enjoyed it.

Next we had races. Two or more teams doing a relay race down and back up the floor, kicks only.

Most kids got the round balloons. The higher belt hotshots got the oblong type. You have to hit those just right in the fat part to make them go, otherwise they just tumble in place.

They also teach humility to anyone who pays attention.

Oh, and send the balloons home with the kids.
Posted by: underdog

Re: Games for kids? - 11/04/07 05:20 AM

4kicks is a great web site. I got lost there for awhile. Thanks.
Posted by: lopezma

Re: Games for kids? - 11/05/07 04:13 AM

Thanks for the the info. Ditto on the 4kicks site. Great!
If it helps, our dodgeball game is called (drum roll please)
NINJA BALL. Instead of sitting the child down after the hit, they need to run to an assigned location and do five squats.
The second time they run and do 5 push-up.
The third time they do 5 jumping jacks.
Then it starts all over again.
This way they are ALWAYS moving warming up their muscles and getting a pretty good cardio too!
Every now and then I'll bring in the PARENTS VS. KIDS NINJA BALL GAME.
This is usually after a forms class.
Thanks for all the info. you all give out. This is my first post, I just now found you by accident.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Games for kids? - 11/05/07 10:35 AM

Hello George:

Glued your lips shut did they... teaching, specifically teaching little children is a very specific skill set. Children are not adults and cannot be treated as adults. You'll have very different challenges with the 5 and 6 year olds than you will with the 7+ group. Those are two or three very specific and distinct groups! Be very careful, the 7+ could be bored to tears with an exercise designed for a younger crowd...

There is a basic curricilium you want to achieve is X number of weeks, correct? Review, repeat, and find/create games around that technique ONCE they have repeated them and shown they can do them correctly.

If you make it only games they will expect them and HATE brief drilling. There is a site with hundreds of games-drills www.4kicks.com

What size group are you anticipating? Depending on the group/size you might want an assistant. Keep us apprised...

Jeff
Posted by: madmax

Re: Games for kids? - 11/10/07 12:38 PM

came across something about 2 months ago - an interactive sticker book titled I THE MARTIAL ARTIST. Itīs fantastic. Packed with info and the sticker collection is great. The "merit concept" is brilliant. I ordered for my juniors and it has given my junior classes a "turn-a-round". It has become a CRAZE!!! The kids canīt wait to get to training. Man, and there is nothing better than walking onto a dojo floor with postive attitudes ready for action.
Do yourself a favour, visit http://www.ithemartialartist.com.sapo.pt
Posted by: oldman

Re: Games for kids? - 11/27/07 08:16 AM

bump