Instructor Salaries

Posted by: Holliesc3

Instructor Salaries - 05/02/07 10:44 AM

I was an insrtuctor many years ago and have recently been asked to get back into it. What should I expect as far as pay these days? He did mention a bonus structure, so I assume that would have to do with active students, etc. I would like to have some idea of what I am worth (10 years training, 2nd degree Black, 6 years of teaching including Enrollment Director and Head Instructor for several years).
Thanks for your imput!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Instructor Salaries - 05/02/07 11:01 AM

Depends on the market, and the size of the school. Could be anywhere from US$20-40,000 a year.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 05/02/07 11:18 AM

Market is Pensacola Florida. He has two schools each with about 180 active students. It's also an ATA school.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Instructor Salaries - 05/02/07 11:24 AM

I think you should be thinking not what to expect in pay...but what you want. Like any job: is it full/part time and do you need the pay to compensate you for certain expenses (time away from a real job, car gas, your rent, etc.).

'Bonuses'...like 'salary'...pretty open-ended. Are you becoming a 'partner' of sorts (doing the McDojo thing of getting commissions on the new students you bring in), or considering doing a more certain route of paid instructor/hr.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 05/02/07 11:52 AM

I am going to be full time if I take the job. He is trying to open another school and has lost a couple of instuctors due to them opening their own schools. I just want to know what I should be asking for/expecting. What/how are some of you guys paid?
Posted by: cxt

Re: Instructor Salaries - 05/02/07 12:14 PM

Hollie

Honestly, I'd ask to see the books.

Small business, your going to be hands-on for the day to day, you'll be able to figure it out plenty fast anyway.

Before you "set" a figure in your head, you need to know what the cash flow is like--how much they are makeing, are the numbers going up or down--its not like this is IBM.

Your taking a risk, so its resonable for the owner to take a bit of risk as well.

Quick and crude is just take the number of students and multiple by the amount they charge per month---not perfect of course, but might ball-park the income enough to get a decent price on what to ask for.

You mentiuon that several people have quit to start their own schools--why?
Was it just for the money--in which case your probably going to have some serious comeptiton really close to the school.
Maybe it was other reasons--reasons that might effect your as the new teacher--such as the owner not treating people fairly.

Another thing to think about it what exactly are your duties going to be?

Just teaching?

Or are they asking you to sell the program as well?

Are you going to be responsible for the up keep of the dojang?

Stuff like that can effect how much money you ask for.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Instructor Salaries - 05/03/07 11:10 AM

I guess it depends on whether you're going to be working as an instructor at the school or if you're going to be running the school. If you're running the school, is it as a paid employee or as a partner.

As an instructor:
Charge an hourly rate for the time you are asked to instruct. This should include any time that you commit to for either before or after the class. Basically time based.

Running School as paid employee:
On this you are simply assessing a job as you would with any other employer. You need to establish, time commitment, remuneration rate, medical/dental insurance for both you and your family, Bonus scheme, 401K scheme, etc.

Running School as a partner:
You need to do a complete assessment of the business.

All of these are standard methods of assessing any job/business opportunity, and should then be assessed against local market forces.
Posted by: ironsifu

Re: Instructor Salaries - 08/20/07 02:21 PM

i have one paid teacher, whos a young guy, just got married. he has a TKD black belt, so i have to teach him my style and train him to fight like us. i do not look at him like a employee, i call him my student. i teach him in private lessons because he will run a kid program for me, and combine my style and his in the class. i said all that, because i mean, that if you teach him with respect, he will not screw you up and even want to compete with you.

you also have to pay good. i dont have much, but i give him $9 an hour, then i pay him more as the class gets bigger. i also give him a percentage of the equipment we sold, and when he does a testing the money is his. its works out pretty good. my goal is to open a school, that he will run, and he will keep percentage of the money. of course thats a few years down the road, and i'm sure he will still be around.
Posted by: CANIWarrior

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/18/07 08:35 PM

I have to be honest, since it's an ATA school in Florida, being in Chief Master Bill Clark's back yard, compensation will most likely come in the form of commission for signing up new students. A lot of ATA in FL and beyond tend to be about paying for results.

The other way a lot get paid is at testing. You could also ask (that since you may not be paid hourly for teaching) to be compensated for the number of students that pass at graduation.

Who knows. The great thing about compensation is that you can ask for whatever you want.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/18/07 10:09 PM

I heard somewhere that ATA are going door to door looking for customers...if someone came to my door selling MA, I'd insist on a demo right then and there. have him do a kata and some high kicks on my front lawn - then I'd ask how many pushup he can do, if his hands are registered with the PD as lethal weapons, and ask him if I wrote a check for $5,000 could I just get my black belt and certificate now without having to go to class.

how much does an ATA instructor make? probably somewhere between the going rate for an Amway salesman and a babysitter....not to mention, the sky's the limit with sign-on commission bonuses!

Posted by: Joss

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/20/07 09:07 AM

Seeing as how this thread is from early May, and Hollie hasn't posted again since....
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/25/07 10:12 AM

Hello Joss:

Hollie has not posted in a very long time, let's turn this into something more beneficial then... a disucssion re: the rate an instructor should charge, factors to take into account when calculating ones "asking price".

Jeff
Posted by: sheepingly

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/25/07 01:26 PM

20-40K a year? Can dojo's really afford that? The dojo I go to has about 3 f/t instructors including the one that owns the dojo. F/T includes teaching the classes throughout. THe dojo is open from 8am to 830pm 7 days a week classes are off and on throughout the day and in between that are private instruction. So the dojo I go to has 3 F/t instructors and 2 P/T or 1/4 time instructors.

The fees are pretty much $60-80 a month and the equipment if anyoen wants to buy it they do sell it at a little bit above what u can get elsewhere plus they charge $50/hr for private training...so I mean that doesn't mean alot of money if they have about 200 active students. I mean is there any financial benefit to running a dojo or even teaching at one...better yet is it enough to support yourself on the income.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/25/07 04:56 PM

Sheepingly

That's what--about $12,000-$16,000 a month--in stright dues-- split 3 ways--even if its equally--is about $4,000-$5,000 plus per person per month.

Don't know what you make a month--but that's not bad bank all things considered.

(if my math is correct--doing this while I'm working on a couple of other things--and those are rough numbers--so please double check it)

Plus there is a whole lot of $$$$$$$ from other revenue sources that I'm not even looking at.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/25/07 05:25 PM

180 students X $60/mo = $10,800
180 students X $80/mo = $14,400

Not sure where you're getting your numbers. But, let's assume the $14.4k. Less rent? Less advertising? Less utilities, etc, etc. I had a school with an extremely low rent that absolutly couldn't house 180 students. Even there I had expenses over the $3000 mark. Don't know the Florida market but I assume it's comparable. Let's guess it's lower by alot and stick w/ $3000 going out. That's still $11.4K. It's not a 3 way split in sheep's example: 3 f/t and 2 part time. That would be 5. So now we're down around $2280/mo on an even split ( I know it's not, some p/t but let's keep it simple) and we haven't started with taxes, insurance, yada yada yada.

I haven't seen many school owners that ever make good $$ from their endeavors. ( at least not without robbing their students ) You can make a living, but you'd be hard pressed to find large numbers of honest instructors getting rich. My instructor lived in his school for many years in the beginning. With the hours involved with a school that's open 8:30-8:30 6 or 7 days a week, that turns into a lot of man hours to pay out to "employees". Most of the time, paid instructors might make slightly higher than min. wage, if the school's doing well. A 'partner' or someone running the actual day to day business of the scholl might get a % of the net, but that may very well turn out to be less than an hourly wage. It was when I started teaching.

Don't start making us instructors well off. It's hard to make money doing this kind of thinng.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/25/07 05:35 PM

Well I didn't say 180 in one class at one time. The dojo I go to offers Martial Arts (a mix of various ones), Kick boxing classes, kids marital arts classes, budo taijitsu, capoeira, and elite combatives, and sparring classes. So some go to 1 some go to all some go to 2 or 3...so 180 students x $60 let's say $10,800 a month.

THe owner is the main instructor. So let me correct the instructor part. He has to pay 2 F/T Instructors, and about 3 p/t instructors. Plus he has to pay any dojo fees and licensing if there are any...plus he has his own personal bills to pay. He has his own residence.

So which begs the question if he can afford to have a dojo with that many instructors and still be able to support his family...how much do instructors make/charge.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/25/07 05:47 PM

I'm aware not at one time. But you have to have a decent sized school to house that many total. At 75 students it put me at say anywhere from 10-30 students per class. So, I'm guessing that 180 would bump the class numbers up a bit from that.

But, no, I was never able to support my family with just the school revenue. Most of the school owners I know have full time day jobs and teach MA in the evenings becuase they enjoy it and/or to honor and pass on their art/instructors, not for the money. Even the few I know of that have made decent money did it from marketing: things like instructional videos, seminars, etc. But, you have to already have an established name for that to have any real draw. So, we're back to the struggling young martial artist.

FYI - 20k/yr is not that much - 40 hrs/wk x 52 weeks x $10/hr = $20,800 . But, depending on where you live, that could be enough or seriously lacking. That's $1733/mo gross, as in before taxes. Rent for a 2 br apartment in LA is that much.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/25/07 05:55 PM

I do know that they have had that dojo since 1989. I do know that the KB classes have about 30 students in the intermediate KB class and the beginning KB class that's at the same time is in the back room that's about 8 -12 students. So that's about 40 students at one hour and they ahve about 4 KB classes per day...granted some go twice per day so just to make things realistic they have about 60 students per day that go to KB alone. Then there are those 15 who go to the same time I go to the MA class. Plus there's maybe about 8 more students who only go to the afternoon MA class so total so far there are about 80ish students. Plus if u count the capoeira class adn the other smaller classes that's about an additional 20-30 students. So minimum they have around 100 MINIMUM students paying monthly fees. That's about $6-8K minimum thei rmaking at the dojo. They have to pay dojo fees, support families, and pay instructors. That's not alot.

The other variable income they make are from seminars that are every few months, belt testing, and buying equipment from them.

Actually now that I see, it isn't that much. They probably in the end make about as much as I do from my own job.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/25/07 07:07 PM

JMWcorwin

Please don't "read in" things that are not there.
At best or worst depending on your POV, I'm talking about ONE SPECIFIC SCHOOL--not all schools everywhere and all teachers all over the planet--its not a blanket statement meant to cover everybody-everywhere.

And I'm going by the numbers in her post above mine--if she changes things later then of course I'll have to re-figure.
And in that school with "200" students, paying "$60-$80" per month its $12,000 per month on the low side--which is about $4,000 per month per teacher or $48,000 per teacher per year--on the LOW sode, assumeing the lowest fee's and NOT even counting "private lessons" or equipment sales or any other money makers---uniforms, tapes, weapons sales, sparring equipment, pads, etc the school has.

Sure, that is gross not net.

We also have no idea what they are paying the "part timers" either, for all we know they are trading out their teaching for being taught--many schools make it a rank requriemnt to teach "X" number of hours for advancement.

But there are all kinds of jobs that pay less than 4 grand a month and less than 48,000 per year.

Its more than I made just out of college.

And yes, I fully agree with you, its VERY hard for "honest" instructers to get rich.
Good businesspeople can of course do right by their studetns and still make good money--but sadly the folks makeing the biggest bank tend to be the McDojo crowd---for all kinds of reasons, INCLUDING customers that have no interest in real training.

I am not knocking good teachers that are making good living teaching BTW.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/25/07 07:24 PM

Sheepingly

So if they are only teaching "4 KB classes" a day does that mean that the KB teacher is only working 4 hours per day?

In a 7 day work week that is only 28 hours of teaching--and that is based on 7 days of work--not 5.

So assumeing that the dude is one of the 3 main guys he could be putting $4,0000 a month (or more--again, gross not net) in his pocket for working 112 hours per month---compared to somebody working 40 hours per week or 160 hours per month.

Again, that is based upon the KB dude teaching 7 days a week comapared to 40 day work week--and who really is ONLY working 40 hours per week these days?

That's not bad for 4 hours of work a day.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/25/07 07:28 PM

That's where I started. I looked at this thread so many times trying to find where your numbers came from. The only one I found was from the OP about the ata school. (180) So, I was confused about your number, that's all. Sometimes you can't see the things right in front of you, ya know?

After that I was moslty talking to sheepingly. Just a bit of a sore spot with me I guess. I've had the discussion with many people over the years about how much the head instructor/owner makes. People tend to think it's some kind of incredible amount of cash. It usually isn't. I know lots of school owners and most of them don't take home anywhere near $48k/year. And that was on your low end. It takes several years to break even sometimes, not evem counting whatever initial investment was made. So, I just see it as highly unlikely to be thinking to pay an instructor who's helping out $4K/month.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/25/07 07:37 PM

JWMcorwin

And it sucks---you can lose your whole bankroll trying to run a school.

That is why so many talented people don't teach--they can make more money with MUCH less risk doing something else.

Lots of really talented people only teach part time and/or the side--which cuts into their family and down time.

MA are a tough business anybody who says its not is probably selling something.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/25/07 07:59 PM

Quote:

you can lose your whole bankroll trying to run a school.

Unfortunately I know this very well...lived it.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/26/07 10:54 AM

JMWcorwin

That bites.

I have a number of people I know that are getting out of teaching--have been doing it for years and the things they have to do now to make ends meet.....insurence rates are sky high---they have to seriously undercut their training to get insured at all etc.
Students fileing lawsuits over getting hit in sparring---no sadly not kidding.

Its no wonder there are fewer and fewer good schools and good teachers.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/26/07 12:29 PM

I don't remember who asked me this but I think they do work 8 hour days. I remembered I have their schedule of classes with me.

M - 4 classes of intermediate KB (1 hour), 1 Kids Karate Class (1 hour), 1 hour of Beg. KB (1 hour), 1 MMA Class (1 hour), and 1 hour of Capoeira = 8 hours of instruction plus somewhere in between there is private instruction.

T - 1 Class of MMA (1 hour), 1 class of Kids Karate (1 hour), 2 classes of intermediate KB (1 hour), and 1 class of Beginning KB (1 hour), and 1 hour of Elite Combatives. That totals 6 hours plus private instruction somewhere in between

W= 4 classes of int. KB (1 hour), 1 class of Kids Karate (1 hour), 1 Class of MMA (1 hour), 1 Class of Beg. KB (1 hour), 1 class of Elite COmbatives (1 hour), and 1 class of capoeira (1 hour). That totals 9 hours of instruction plus private instruction in between.

Th - 1 class of kids karate, 2 classes of Int. KB, 1 Class of KB, and 1 class of MMA. THat totals 5 hours of instruction and private instruction here and there

F - 2 classes of Int. KB, and 1 class of capoeira. That's 3 hours of instruction and private instruction here and there.

Saturday - 1 class of beg. KB, 1 class of int. KB, 2 classes of Capoeira. That's 4 hours of instruction and private instruction in between.

Sunday - 2 hours of Sparring. Including private instruction here and there.

If say at 4pm Friday 1 instructor is teaching you might see 2 other instructors giving private sessions at the same time in other parts of hte dojo.

1 P/T Instructor only teaches the Elite Comabtives = 2 hours a week

1 P/T Instructor only teaches the Capoeira = 5 hours per week

1 P/T instructor only teaches the Saturday KB classes = 2 hours per week.

The main instructor & owner, and the other 2 "F/T" instructors handle the rest. But the main instructor owner is not around as much as the 2 "F/T" ones I don't think.

But I'm starting to think the owner after he pays all his instructors and dojo related fees and etc. that goes along with that between 2-4K a month...which is probably correct because they only own 1 car. Which I shouldn't assume anything based on how many cars I own...but where I live people who can afford another car GET ONE.

So I dunno.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/26/07 12:47 PM

Sheepingly

So these 3 guys--the owner and the 2 full time teachers are experts at kickboxing, mixed martial arts, caporiea, and what-ever the heck "elite combatives" might be?

Expert enough to teach all of these?

Either that or more than one person is teaching these classes.

And on Tues its only 6 hours of schdl classes, Thurs its only 5 hours of schdl classes and Fri its only 3 hours of schdl classes---or about 30 hours per week compared to the 40 hours per week that is the "avg" for everybody else--NOT counting any extra time of week ends they put it as well.

And if the different people are teaching different classes then it cuts the time down further as well.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/26/07 12:52 PM

ReRead what I put CXT lol..

1 of the P/T instructors teaches the Capoeira 5-6 hours/week

1 of the P/T instructors teaches the Elite Combatives 2 hours/wk

1 of the P/T instructors teaches the saturday morning KB classes. 2 hours/wk

The owner and the other 2 "F/T" instructors teach the rest of the classes that are during the week.

Yeah so I figure ya'all right and the owner isn't putting in a full 40 hour a week load and the other 2 "F/T" are only probably putting in 6-7 hours a day including private instruction.

Plus I saw one of the "F/T" instructors doing his laundry at the laundro mat the other day =) Not that it explains his salary but I dunno.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/26/07 12:54 PM

Question: is this place primarily a 'dojo', or are there health/gym facilities/machines as well?

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/26/07 01:01 PM

I consider it a dojo. But it has two rooms..the main room which is big has mats on the ground and maybe 10 chairs off to the side and the back room is probably 1/2 the size of the main room and it has mats on the ground. Off to the side it has 1 or 2 weight machine and some closets and shelving to store pads. Also to store some extra rattan sticks, wooden knives and extra gloves if some students can't temporarily afford one. Plus it has 2 bathrooms. And 1 of those "BOB" dummies. You know those punching bags that are human shapped lol. And two regular punching bags that you hang from the ceiling. And I think I saw one of those huge balls. And some other misc. equipment.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/26/07 01:14 PM

Sheepingly

So essentially were on the same page?

These guys are not coming close to working a full 40 hour work week---we can quibble about the total hour count of course.
But from where I sit, $4000-$6000 extra dollars a month for 4 hours of work per day seems like ok money to me.

Would have loved a job like that when I was back in college--I have friends with kids that would love a job like that now.

Esp if this a new school just getting started---if its growing the money should be getting better.

BTW, I'm not figuring in the private instruction for any monies made--if I were the income would go up.
Also not figuring in the sales of gear, weapons, books, energy drinks, soda, power bars, uniforms, seminars, pads, books, DVD's, bottled water, other fees, that many schools offer to increase income.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/26/07 01:19 PM

How do you know these guys are being paid at all, or if so, not at some low rate? Like mimimum wage?

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/26/07 01:20 PM

Yup we agree but I think at most the owner and his family are taking in 2K -4K after all fees, salaries and etc. are paid....and that's including private instruction.

Seminars are probably once or twice a year. Equipment sales are constant but some peopel are wise enough to buy it online instead cause it's always cheaper that way. They don't sell DVD's or anything like that. They did have a Aquafina vending machine but they took that out for some reason.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/26/07 01:21 PM

They might be harlan. I don't know. That's what this thread was started for...how much instructor's should be making...

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/26/07 01:40 PM

harlan

Your right, I don't.

Just going by the figures that Sheepingly provides with a resonably breakdown in how its split.

Could be the owner is pocketing most of the cash, in which case its a pretty good deal for him--the more so since he seems to have to spend fewer hours teaching than the "teachers" do.

Get some people to teach for a few bucks per hour--no benefits, pocket the profits.........

I don't know, something is just not adding up here---if the numbers/hours I'm baseing this on are correct---there is a pretty good chunk of revenue going somewhere.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/26/07 01:51 PM

Doesn't sound like a money making operation to me...depending on the pay structure for the teachers.

Successful Kids classes generally pay the bills, and kids classes are usually treated like daycare...same kids every day. Figure 4 classes a day, maybe 30 kids/class and guessing $50 month that is only $6000/month. Not a lot for 2 FT teachers, owner and overhead. The private classes, extras, expanded curriculum for extra fees, etc. is where the extra cash comes in.

That's why I asked if the dojo generated other income, like facilities use.

Re: Instructor Salaries - 09/26/07 04:27 PM

Yeah I dont think the dojo is making alot of profit. Based on the fees alone.

And I don't see them making alot w/ seminars, equipment, and private instruction.

I think the owner is just making enough to support his family.