Yoda Sensei

Posted by: Shawn Sinn

Yoda Sensei - 03/28/07 03:44 PM

I was recently at an Aikido workshop, and this master ,whom was teaching, quoated a "Yoda Sensei". Then to make sure we knew who he was talking about, he confirms that Yoda is the same Yoda in Star Wars. Then he proceeds with a short bit on the wisdom the muppet has for the martial arts.

I am curious on what others think about this. Should us Martial Artist refer to the Yoda muppet as Sensei? Does Yoda have much to teach us Martial Artists.

Any thoughts?
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Yoda Sensei - 03/28/07 04:06 PM

Quote:

Should us Martial Artist refer to the Yoda muppet as Sensei?

Only when we tire of being taken seriously.

What's next?
Lieutenant Mickey Mouse?
Governor Kermit?
Archbishop Q*Bert?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Yoda Sensei - 03/28/07 04:12 PM

No. I don't really agree with giving a muppet the title of sensei, unless the guy was CLEARLY joking. I don't neccessarily have a problem with using fictional characters to make a point, but I won't be referring to "soke V for Vendetta".
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Yoda Sensei - 03/28/07 04:40 PM

I assume you mean the wisdom of Yoda's words? written by George Lucas, inspired by 'Four noble truths' of Buddhist teachings, and as spoken by kermit the frog?

Lucas a sensei? sure, I'd say he has alot to teach.

kermit? nah, he's just happy being green.
Posted by: Naomasa

Re: Yoda Sensei - 03/28/07 06:40 PM

I'd have to agree with Matt I'm sure they where joking, if you can't have fun in your MA why go? you and your sensei SHOULD be able to share jokes.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Yoda Sensei - 03/29/07 04:45 AM

Depends if he starts selling Sensei Yoda gi's.

Actually, he shouldn't have referred to Yoda as 'Sensei'. Yoda's title is "Master Yoda".

I don't see a problem with making philosophy accessible through figures like Yoda, Gandalf or Mr Miyagi if it helps the student to relate things to their own life experience.

Problem is there are enough people who REALLY take Yoda seriously as a master.

I doubt your teacher was being deadly serious.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Yoda Sensei - 03/29/07 09:26 AM

I find that people who are extremely capable, have the ability to seriously appreciate humor.

Quote:

I doubt your teacher was being deadly serious.

Posted by: Ronin1966

Yoda Sensei - 03/29/07 10:43 AM

Hello Shawn Sinn:

MASTER Yoda as Trevik said...

Ancient, taught thousands, shared his art his entire lifetime... Millenium to hear it told. A bone-fide Master (the genuine kind)...IMHO.

Master Yoda hummmmmmmmmmmmngh <Jeff's impersonation of Yoda's voice> . The answer to your question is yes... his "wisdom" is a compilation of ancient philosophies across the spectrum... and uses his powers for the forces of good...

I study his way and hopefully will learn to laugh...

Jeff
Posted by: trevek

Re: Yoda Sensei - 03/30/07 10:40 AM

Quote:

I find that people who are extremely capable, have the ability to seriously appreciate humor.

Probably cos they know nobody will argue with them.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Yoda Sensei - 03/30/07 10:57 PM

Mimes...Trekies which should I shoot first?
Posted by: oldcoach

Re: Yoda Sensei - 03/31/07 02:53 PM

Well, if it gets and keeps their attention as well as their retention, it could be a good idea. BTW, there's a book by the name of "The Dharma Of Star Wars" which is a pretty good read.

Sounds like it's just a book that was hurriedly rushed out to exploit the popularity of Star Wars, I know, but it's actually quite a unique approach to the exposition of Buddhist beliefs.

Amazon's page (where else) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0861714...ASIN=0861714970
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Yoda Sensei - 04/01/07 03:13 PM

Its obvious that Martial Arts and Buddhism where a huge influence on Star Wars in general.

Master Yoda would have been a great sensei, provided he was real. However, the ideas behind him were, and they were solid ideas and priciples found in MA to this day. Why not use him to relate those ideas. To be effective in teaching or learning there must be effective communication.
Posted by: shadowkahn

Re: Yoda Sensei - 04/01/07 03:59 PM

Quote:

I was recently at an Aikido workshop, and this master ,whom was teaching, quoated a "Yoda Sensei". Then to make sure we knew who he was talking about, he confirms that Yoda is the same Yoda in Star Wars. Then he proceeds with a short bit on the wisdom the muppet has for the martial arts.

Was he serious or joking? That goes a long way toward our opinion on this. If he was being funny, then heck yeah, Yoda-Sensei *is* funny . . .although considering Yoda's rules of grammar perhaps Sensei Yoda it should be

Quote:

Should us Martial Artist refer to the Yoda muppet as Sensei?

Look, if someone's running around actually thinking a puppet is a sensei, then yeah, we have a problem. And a job for the men in white coats. But like I said, if it's just joking around, that's cool with me.
Posted by: matchhead_jack

Re: Yoda Sensei - 04/10/07 03:16 PM

Ever noticed Yoda's broken English is subject-object-verb. Just like Japanese. His asiatic speech patterns are by design according to Lucas. My Sensei in Okinawa sounds like a coarser Yoda with a deeper voice (and a lot of Johnny Walder Red).

Should he be quoted in class? no
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Yoda Sensei - 04/29/07 08:30 PM

Ok, you got one up on the Resident Forum Smart Alek. I never noticed that Yoda's speech pattern resembled the Japanese speech pattern, and I've studied Japanese.
Posted by: matchhead_jack

Re: Yoda Sensei - 05/08/07 03:40 PM

domo arigato