Purpose of Martial Arts

Posted by: MastaFighta

Purpose of Martial Arts - 02/21/07 10:32 PM

This is a question asking for your opinion as to what the purpose of Martial Arts is, so there is no right or wrong answers.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Purpose of Martial Arts - 02/21/07 11:04 PM

Are you asking why I'm learning MA? If so, I started in 1991 after watching the Karate Kids about 5,000 times. I finally got the nerve to ask my mom if I could join a "karate" class (at that time it was all the same to me). She agreed and found out which class my cousin was in. Once my mom picked me up from school she told me that I couldn't start until Feb 6th (this was just before school let out for Christmas break). I started class (reminded my mom everyday about how many days I had left until I could start class). I loved the environment I was in, loved the instructor, and made tons of new friends. I've stayed in all these years just for the love of it. There's just something about TKD days that lifts my spirits!

Casey
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Purpose of Martial Arts - 02/22/07 12:56 AM

To defend myself, and destroy my opponents.
Posted by: MikeC

Re: Purpose of Martial Arts - 02/22/07 09:30 AM

On a higher level to create a better society, modern view held by many Kano, Ueshiba, Funakoshi, etc..

On a personal level depends on the person, self defence, self improvement, etc..
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Purpose of Martial Arts - 02/22/07 01:05 PM

Hello Mastafighta:

<<what the purpose of Martial Arts is

Learn to define our "boundries", what we will and will not defend. Learn how to get out of our OWN blessed way... Explore how to generate & be effective with our power.

Jeff