Opening a small MMA gym

Posted by: seand

Opening a small MMA gym - 01/20/07 08:52 PM

Hello everyone, Im seriously thinking of looking into opening my own MMA gym in my small town. I have previous experience that only includes about 2 years in boxing and around 3 months in Brazilian jiu jitsu, so I know Im not incredibly experienced. That being said, what Im wondering is would I not be allowed to open a gym of my own due to lack of experience? I obviously wouldn't teach myself, maybe recruit some instructors or something, I just want to own my own business, and this is the only thing that is even remotely appealing to me. Plus I love the idea of doing what you love to do as work, and the idea of managing a training center. Mind you Im not in the position to get a huge facility, but I could get a fair sized building and start buying some training materials. What do you think, am I crazy?
Posted by: oldman

Re: Opening a small MMA gym - 01/20/07 11:42 PM

Anything is possible. I wouldn't plan on retiring early.
Posted by: everyone

Re: Opening a small MMA gym - 01/22/07 12:58 PM

Opening a MMA gym is a great idea! Of course thats only if you are a good business person with great marketing skills. Also, you will need to hire a skilled fighter who is qualified to teach classes. I wish you the best!
Posted by: migo

Re: Opening a small MMA gym - 02/12/07 02:15 AM

I'd say start from a more informal get-together of people with various training backgrounds and then build from there.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Opening a small MMA gym - 02/13/07 04:24 PM

This is a dream of all MA-ists @ one time or another. Opening any business is always risky @ best. A friedn once told me that if you last the first year (& that's not even turning a profit), you have a 20% better chance of lasting 5 yrs. If you survive the 5 yr mark, you have a 50% better chance of surviving for 8 yrs - that's just 2 election cycles/Olympiads.

An important factor is keeping your overhead low so unless you're an expert (which you admit you aren't), hiring a good teacher will get expensive.

Now add in the cost of mats, insurance, business license, utilities, advertising etc. - I hope that you're wealthy w/ a lot of money to blow.

Not saying that it can't be done; just have all your info before you end up broke & owing money.
Posted by: dra

Re: Opening a small MMA gym - 04/27/08 06:38 AM

HI opening a gym is business that is good. But with the exprience you have it not going to work. In MMA you needed to have alot of knowledge in all type of fighting style and art. And just by Boxing and BJJ it not going to work.And you must know what you are good in. I think you open a Boxing Gym is better and went you master your BJJ and more fighting style than you combine it to MMA.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Opening a small MMA gym - 04/27/08 06:20 PM

seand

Kind of unpleasent to even talk about---but cleaning issues are going to be a serious issue for the future.

With reports of MRSA and like infections coming from gyms....TV show like the Ultimate Fighter where pretty much EVERYONE come down with a nasty skin infection from close contact with each other and mats, HS wrestlers and MMA athletes coming down with fatal infections etc.

Its going to be a BIG issues for the consumer as time goes on.

Its an expense that folks that own schools need to plan for---well beyond just keeping the place clean and tidy.

Might also effect insurance rates as well.
Posted by: mitchwales

Re: Opening a small MMA gym - 05/10/08 02:51 PM

I feel you are not experienced enough. I really do respect that you want to make your own business but you should probably train for another few years and teach that class yourself.

If you hire an instructor.. they'll eventually grow tired of you taking most of the money when they are actually the most important person.

If and when you do go ahead with it then I wish you all the best though.