Feeling guilty...

Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Feeling guilty... - 09/26/06 07:56 AM

My class has, of late, reached the point where my Sifu can now realise his ambition of an advanced class for those of us who have shown dedicated attendance over a goodly period. This was due to begin fairly soon, most likely sometime in the next couple of weeks.

With my other main pastime outside work being amateur theatre, I've just been cast in a play, some of the rehearsals for which will be on the intended days of the new class. This would have meant that I couldn't have started attending the advanced classes until the end of November.

When I mentioned this to my Sifu, meaning to find out his view on my missing the first of the more advanced lessons, he said that he would therefore be considering refraining from starting up the new lessons until the new year. It hadn't occurred to me that he would postpone the start date, though now I realise that it may have been to do with recouping the cost of the hall for the lesson as there would only be a maximum of five students.

I'm now feeling a little guilty for being the trigger that causes him to delay his ambition for lack of students, as my lack of forethought on the subject may have led me to discuss it earlier. In my defence, I feel that I do need to spend time on my other activities. It's just a shame that the things I enjoy are all so time consuming.

I'm not sure what my in this post is, other than venting my feelings on the matter. What are your thoughts?
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Feeling guilty... - 09/26/06 08:27 AM

You are a student and that's as far as your responsibilities go.

You are not a full time warrior and have interests outside the MA. This is good.

The fact that he may not start the advanced class because you may not attend tells me that he doesn't have enough people to start the advanced class in the first place. If he expects more than a 50% attendance from those signed up for it he's living in la la land.

The running of the class is his responsibility not yours.

No guilt attached.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Feeling guilty... - 09/26/06 11:28 AM

I agree with John. Many students would not have bothered to give him as much notice as you did. Do your thing.
Posted by: trevek

Re: Feeling guilty... - 09/27/06 04:23 AM

I used to miss a lot of time from TKD because of theatre commitments.

I explained this to my sabum, thinking he might not really understand. Of course, he asked what the theatre work entailed.

I said it involved learning words and movements and repeating them again and again, alone and with others, until we had got it right. I tried to emphasize that it involved others and I also had a loyalty to them.

He shrugged, "And I thought you said you weren't going to be training. Sounds like training to me."

Maybe your sifu is thinking of you too. Don't feel guilty.

"Break a leg!"
Posted by: Jeff_G

Re: Feeling guilty... - 10/15/06 02:29 AM

I like to ask one question in many cases. "Whose problem is this?" If he was dancing so close to the edge that the loss of one student from the class, makes it a no go, then fear not. It isn't your problem to fix.
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: Feeling guilty... - 10/16/06 06:36 AM

Howdy, all. Thanks for your replies.

I have since realised that I was being a muppet and that it's not really my fault or concern. The classes are due to start later this month now (I think) and there were apparently some other problems with getting it all started. On the upside for me, this means I can start to attend before Christmas, when my play is finished. Huzzah!

All of this stuff is improving my time management skills no end.