How to Exercise/Train...

Posted by: MastaFighta

How to Exercise/Train... - 09/25/06 11:00 PM

This has the be the dumbest question I've ever asked, but a question nonetheless. First off, I've exercised/trained for a long time though I never thought I was doing it right. Even after taking Taekwondo classes, I still didn't know if I was doing it right. Now, the question is - How are you supposed to exercise/train? Are you supposed to exercise/train until you can no longer move your arms? Until you're sore? Or is it more dependant on each person?
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: How to Exercise/Train... - 09/26/06 01:38 AM

I'm pretty sure that going to exhaustion is going too far. You certainly shouldn't be comfortable at the end of a training session but you shouldn't be collapsing or in major pain.
Posted by: migo

Re: How to Exercise/Train... - 09/26/06 02:58 AM

You shouldn't be training until you can't move every single time. Doing it once in a while to push yourself mentally can be a good idea (once you're already in good physical shape), but doing it regularly in the long run will be detrimental.

Re: How to Exercise/Train... - 09/27/06 10:43 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I have another question, what time of day should one train?
Posted by: migo

Re: How to Exercise/Train... - 09/27/06 11:06 PM

You should try to get most of your sleep in when it's dark, so if possible, training when there's daylight.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: How to Exercise/Train... - 09/27/06 11:14 PM

Quote:

You should try to get most of your sleep in when it's dark, so if possible, training when there's daylight.

ROFL!!!
Posted by: szorn

Re: How to Exercise/Train... - 09/28/06 01:23 AM

Quote:

This has the be the dumbest question I've ever asked, but a question nonetheless. First off, I've exercised/trained for a long time though I never thought I was doing it right. Even after taking Taekwondo classes, I still didn't know if I was doing it right. Now, the question is - How are you supposed to exercise/train? Are you supposed to exercise/train until you can no longer move your arms? Until you're sore? Or is it more dependant on each person?

That's actually not a dumb question.

This essentially comes down to a variety of factors to include, what type of exercise are we talking about, how often the training is conducted, the type of physical effects expected from the training, the current physical condition of the trainee, etc. etc.

Example- when it comes to weight training there are numerous methods depending on all of those factors I mentioned plus much more. Some use a HIT style system which is going to complete failure on each exercise in order to build maximum muscle in the shortest time. Others use a low rep and multi-set system. Some use a high rep and high set system. The list goes on.

The same thing applies, regardless of whether we are talking about weight training, aerobic training, or general martial art practice.

It is known that overtraining can lead to physical and mental problems. The thing is that overtraining is different for everyone. The key is to train enough to make regular improvements in skill or conditioning while avoiding injuries and illness. If you start to become regularly sore, sick, or injured than you know you are training too hard, too long, or even too much.

As long as you are making progress and you feel good overall I would say keep doing what you are doing.

Steve Zorn, ICPS
Posted by: MattJ

Re: How to Exercise/Train... - 09/28/06 05:55 PM

Quote by szorn -

Quote:

It is known that overtraining can lead to physical and mental problems. The thing is that overtraining is different for everyone. The key is to train enough to make regular improvements in skill or conditioning while avoiding injuries and illness. If you start to become regularly sore, sick, or injured than you know you are training too hard, too long, or even too much.

As long as you are making progress and you feel good overall I would say keep doing what you are doing.

Excellent post, szorn. Right on the button. Very important to note that tolerances for training vary greatly from person to person.

Re: How to Exercise/Train... - 09/28/06 07:08 PM

Quote:

I fail to see any humor in your reply.

Quote:

Quote:

That's actually not a dumb question.

This essentially comes down to a variety of factors to include, what type of exercise are we talking about, how often the training is conducted, the type of physical effects expected from the training, the current physical condition of the trainee, etc. etc.

Example- when it comes to weight training there are numerous methods depending on all of those factors I mentioned plus much more. Some use a HIT style system which is going to complete failure on each exercise in order to build maximum muscle in the shortest time. Others use a low rep and multi-set system. Some use a high rep and high set system. The list goes on.

The same thing applies, regardless of whether we are talking about weight training, aerobic training, or general martial art practice.

Steve Zorn, ICPS

Alright, that makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.
Posted by: soulfiremage

Re: How to Exercise/Train... - 10/19/06 08:32 AM

I'm glad I saw this thread. I got slightly schitz/weirded out for two days last week despite having only done my normal training. I can add a little something to the overtraining notion. I suspect you can overtrain by simply doing the normal workout, BUT don't eat very well the following day whilst doing some physical work and not sleep well on the night. This kind of thing will convert normal training into overtraining issues real quick. Just thought I'd add that.