Goju Ryu and Isshinryu.

Posted by: krazykuky

Goju Ryu and Isshinryu. - 09/15/06 03:15 PM

I have studied Isshinryu for about 5 years now. The school I studied at closed about a year ago, but I have continued to study and focus on perfecting what I do know and I have gone to several TKD and Kung Fu classes to widen my skills. I was literally about a month from getting my black belt in Isshinryu when the class closed over a series of unfortunate and complicated events, making it impossible for me to ask my old sensei for private instruction. I am considering taking up a Goju Ryu class here in the next 3 months or so, I am in the process of gathering as much information as I can, I am also planning to take up a Judo class next few weeks. The schedualing works out perfectly between the two classes, so I don't think that time to process or practice what I've learned will be a problem. What I am wanting to know is this.. I have heard it said that Isshinryu and Goju Ryu are very similar. And while it is not of that much importance to me other that I would just like to know for my own information bank, if they truly are similar and if so, what makes them so similar? Even though I will be starting again as a white belt in this new art can I expect to grasp consepts faster than that of a first time MA student? This is just for my own knowledge, I like to know as much about an art and it's conection with other arts as I can.. Thank you in advance.
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: Goju Ryu and Isshinryu. - 09/29/06 07:41 AM

Quote:

can I expect to grasp consepts faster than that of a first time MA student?

Nope!
Posted by: ShadowPavement

Re: Goju Ryu and Isshinryu. - 10/13/06 01:26 PM

You should do fine. Isshinryu is was developed out of Goju and another art I can't remember at the moment.

I did a similar thing comming from a background mostly in Uechi-Ryu and Ninjutsu.