Need Help Teaching Kids

Posted by: Kaibo101

Need Help Teaching Kids - 07/21/06 02:22 AM

I am now a brown belt hoping to go for my black belt in a year or two. In our style it is required to get some teaching experience before you can earn your BB. Up until now our classes were just filled up with adults...me being the yougest(Now 16). Now we have kids and I am having a hard time teaching them. I tried teaching them like I would an adult to quikly learn that is not the way to go. In our other dojos with higher ranking Senseis, they train kids like they do adults. They go as far as hitting a kid in the head to get them to listen and focus and the kids listen and focus and do what they are told after they get yelled at by the Sensei but my Sensei won't allow that kind of disipline. So my question is this, is there another way to give the kid the same amount of disipline and get them to focus without having to hit them. Domo Arigato for the advice.

Kaibo101

P.S To be honsest I didn't like being hit when I first started to get me focused. I don't like useing that method but I do what I am told.

(edited for caps - tkd_high_green)
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: NEED HELP TEACHING KIDS - 07/21/06 04:26 AM

Best tip is don't treat them as children, give them respect and they'll respect you. Also make sure they know that there is a line they can't cross or there'll be trouble.

create games that involve the techniques that your teaching like shuttle runs with 3 stops 1st stop front kicks 2nd stop round kicks etc

Also even if you spend the lesson shouting and ballin' at them, make sure you end the lesson with a game and/or words of praise.

Dobbersky

Posted by: JohnL

Re: NEED HELP TEACHING KIDS - 07/21/06 01:40 PM

If your instructors hit kids to teach them, a couple of things spring to mind;

1. They don't know how to teach.
2. They should stop teaching immediately.
3. If they say you have to teach, they will be continuing their poor teaching practices. Refuse.

Posted by: MartinVonCannon

Re: Need Help Teaching Kids - 07/21/06 03:45 PM

Ok. This is easier than it looks, just takes time.

First the average kid between the ages of 7 - 10 has an attention span of about 7 minutes. That is how long you have. Get that time and drive the point home.

You accomplish this by breaking the lesson down into chunks. Demo the technique that is being taught.

I agree with getting the kids attention. Hitting them is not the way to do that. When teaching them how to block, reach out with your hand slowly so they see it coming. Then they will block. This shows them how the block works.

For punches, use focus pads or targets. Let them hit it as hard as they can. Same for kicks. Correct technique as necessary.

Ease up with the "no"s. "No, Johnny that was not correct." Limit or even stop that. Use this instead, "Johnny that was good, to make it even better do this". This is called positive re-inforcement.

Discipline is another matter. Set the line and let them know not to cross it.

If you need more help, ask here. I have about 20 pages of various kid drills that I rotate through for my class. The kids in my class are between the ages of 7 & 12. Even the adults like some of these drills.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Need Help Teaching Kids - 07/21/06 05:22 PM

Hello Kaibo101:

There is NO valid reason to hit a child, to supposedly "teach" them. Outside of possibly a blocking exercise there is no conceivable reason to make any contact...

<<they train kids like they do adults.

What size and how old is your specific group?

<<my Sensei won't allow that kind of disipline.

That is not discipline, you describe abuse, and your instructor is dead right not to allow it! At 16 you are certainly able to help out with younger children. Discipline is NOT something you will be able to easily maintain... nor should you. They are NOT mini adults... they are c-h-i-l-d-r-e-n. I assume you have basic rules? Enforce them firmly & fairly. DO not try and be your teacher, be YOU, a 16yo person, with certain understandings and experiences... Do not pretend to be me.

Kids will try and see how far they can go with you, as the "new teacher", and will test you. They are little, young, kids. Be consistant, be firm, but stay in control... yelling is never a good teaching technique.

"...Actions have consequences. Correct actions have good consequences, incorrect actions other consequences. You are in charge of what happens to you... choose wisely class..."

Give them a warning perhaps? Tell them what reward you intend if things go WELL today... Regardless make certain as individuals they actually heard what you said... if they cross the line twice, you call them on it. If safety is the issue, do whatever is necessary to maintain it.

Young children have minds but need guidance literally. They understand many things but because they are children, cannot see the outcome of most of what they do, because they are kids!

Are you dealing with specific problems, or simply overwhelmed in general? If there are specific problems many can help with more details...

Jeff
Posted by: sunspots

Re: Need Help Teaching Kids - 07/21/06 08:01 PM

A few suggestions that have worked well for me:

Try a game of "Sensei Says" Like Simon Says, ony with MA techniques, moves, drills, etc. to encourage listening. 5 push-ups for mistakes. (Not enough to be "punishment," but gets their attention!)

Sandwich constructive criticism between layers of praise. "You are coming along. You need to get the kick up a little higher, but your hand position was great." Makes it easier to swallow.

Notice what they do right, or just better, and mention it out loud. Everyone needs a little positive energy, and to not feel they are toiling along alone.

When they are getting tired or way too jumpy, I've had good luck with sitting them all down, and asking if they have any questions about what they are doing. Sometimes you get to the bottom of "issues" this way.

Hope this is helpful.

sunspots
Green Belt
Parker System American Kenpo
Posted by: jc4199

Re: Need Help Teaching Kids - 07/22/06 01:49 AM

Have a lot to do you wont get to it all but if you start to lose them change what you are doing. Like if you are working on punches change to kicks or bag work. Most kids are not going to retain what you are teaching them and they are going to be doing it again s if you don't get it all out its ok. Play games with them that use karate skills. We use a lot of game on our Saturday class the one I get to help with and do the boring type stuff on tue or Thurs.

We do a game called flag sparing take two flags and tuck them into each students belt on in front one in back. Have them put headgear on and the object it to grab the flag. They can block all they want to no holding your flag and if they start to run around stop them and put up out of bounds post. They love it and it a good intro to sparing. Also put a time limits on them 1 min to 2 min should be good and pair them up well.

We also do a game where you get a plastic bag and toss it into the air and have them kick it to keep it up in the air. Watch the kicks and count them. Make this game a bit harder limit them to one type of kick.

We use pool noodle for {whacker sticks} swing them at them and let them block them. Then do it on the walking beam.

You have to have a high energy level at all times I don't mean that you have to be bouncing off the walls but the first time they see you not into being there you are done.
hope this helps a bit.
Posted by: underdog

Re: Need Help Teaching Kids - 07/22/06 08:07 AM

Here are some other suggestions. Plan several different activities. Children don't have the concentration of adults and activities need to change more often. Choose just one or two corrections to work on when doing something like kata. If you correct everything, then you will loose them. Everything said above is right too.

Re: NEED HELP TEACHING KIDS - 07/23/06 10:19 PM

Hello Dobersky:

<<Best tip is don't treat them as children, give them respect and they'll respect you.

"Don't treat them as children...." they are children!?!?!?! Please explain some more...

Jeff

Re: Need Help Teaching Kids - 07/23/06 10:32 PM

Hello Kaibo101:

I've read the others posts with curiousity... another point or two I believe should be added to the discussion.

Children should enjoy themselves, and certainly should have "fun". But this is NOT empty time-filling "fun and games" with NO purpose beyond that. If that is the case then you are wasting their time...

There are millions of "sneaky things" as a young person, a beginner of teaching that you can do, which definately has a martial arts purpose, but they might not perceive it. Oooopsy... build their leg strength....made them concentrate.... but not in a manner they realize/recognize.

Sneaky teaching is still teaching. Invent silly games which revolve around techniques/ideas you want to be reinforced. Start with the drilling routines quickly and tell them if they do WELL and you SEE they are doing their best then you have some "new games" to try out...

After a while you return to the original drill, and go to the next exercise. Games cannot be all they do or they will always beg, plead for them. Beware of falling into the ~only games~ trap...

Fun yes, but never always a "game"...
Jeff
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: NEED HELP TEACHING KIDS - 07/24/06 08:29 AM

RONIN

Yes they are children, but remember when you were a child, if you were made to feel 'big' and 'mature' you felt Good, this is what I'm trying to entail, giving them responsibilies etc like in school. Also talking to them instead of down to them does the same. This isn't to say this is the best way, its just the way that works for me.

I also give them the 'how would you feel in the same situation' speech when required.

I hope this sorta gives you an incling on how I work with 'My Kids'

Osu

Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: NEED HELP TEACHING KIDS - 07/24/06 02:17 PM

Quote:

If your instructors hit kids to teach them, a couple of things spring to mind;

1. They don't know how to teach.
2. They should stop teaching immediately.
3. If they say you have to teach, they will be continuing their poor teaching practices. Refuse.

The best and most important post on this thread so far.
Sharon

Re: NEED HELP TEACHING KIDS - 07/25/06 03:19 PM

Hello Dobbersky:

Thank you for responding. I understand the concept, merely trying to understand the particular details of your words.
I accept talking with them, encouraging questions... as valuable and often helpful, if ~directed~ slightly. Not monitered and you get all kinds of bizarre cross-chatter, or completely non-applicable statements, stories. ("Johnny... thank you" (sic. what's that strange, rambling story have to do w/ anything we were talking about)... )

"Militancy" (ie talking down to them) I find typically silly.

Jeff
Posted by: szorn

Re: Need Help Teaching Kids - 07/26/06 01:50 PM

If you want to be a really good instructor I would suggest doing some research into teaching and learning theories as it applies to both adults and children. I have found that martial arts instructors tend to attempt to treat everyone the same regardless of the student's age or learning ability. Simply put, everyone learns differently especially children. Most adults have a slightly combined learning style but they tend to have a dominate learning style that they emphasize more than the others. It might be kinesthetic, auditory, or visual. The key to teaching is to learn how to recognize the student's dominate style then modify your lessons to best suit their style of learning. As for children, their classes should not be structured like the adult classes. As was mentioned, they tend to have a low attention span and most children require multi-sensory activies to fully enage their brains and maintain their attention. I have seen some martial arts schools fail miserably when attemtping to teach children like they do the adults. The children get frustrated and eventually ask their parents to drop out. The key to teaching children is to make the classes fun, while still maintaining some discipline. However, at no time should the children be struck because they didn't listen or did something incorrectly. All that does is teach the children that you (the instructor) have no discipline yourself and it teaches children to fear making a mistake rather than using mistakes as learning tools to improve performance. Children's classes should emphasize life skills (calling 911, learning their full names, learning their address, improving confidence, controlling anger, bully awareness, etc, etc.) as well as functional fitness. You should use fun interactive drills and games that not only teach the children aspects of the martial arts but helps them gain coordination, mobility, agility, quickness, etc. One such game is "karate dodgeball" which teaches evasion, natural reflexive footwork, improves agilty, etc. The class should be no more than 30-45 minutes in length and should at least 70% drills and games, and only 30% or less of static practice like stances, and blocking, punching, or kicking practice. Again the key is keeping it FUN while making sure the objectives are covered.

Hope this helps,
Steve Zorn, ICPS
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: Need Help Teaching Kids - 08/19/06 04:04 PM

Very nice Mr. Zorn, couldn't agree more. I once taught like most do, until I took some education science classes.
Posted by: Jeff_G

Re: Need Help Teaching Kids - 08/24/06 01:32 AM

OK, I'll trot this one out again. I always keep a bag of balloons in my gear bag. Every once in a while, pull the balloons out and pass them around. If you have parents watching, press them into service blowing. Every kid gets a balloon. The name of the game is "Keep the balloon off the ground, and NO HANDS". Then you can start some relay races. Have some of the teardrop kind for the advanced belts. A balloon is truly humbling.
Posted by: wolfman

Re: Need Help Teaching Kids - 08/30/06 08:26 PM

I came out of a school where any mistake a child made ended with some form of punishment. Ether it was a hour of PT or standing with a stick across you outstethed hands or something along that line. I can't say it ever seened to me to help with the behavior. In fact in most cases the one's that needed someone to work with them the most just quite. When my wife and I decided to try out on our own we decided to drope that type of behavior. Forget you Gi, at lest they are there to train. Not paying attention or acting up {4 to 6 year olds} go sit at the wall until they are realy to rejoin class, that kills them. If a student is in trouble take them in the office to talk to them, If they did something well praise them in front of the class.
In older kids so far I haven't had much of a problin. The one that I did have the boy had to write a paper about his actions and tell those involed he was sorry. That was the easy way out and I made it plain he wounldn't like the other way one bit.
As far as older people I don't expect trouble or they are in the wrong school. Older teens and adults I expede them to behave and not act like children. If they are not there to train why are they there. One last thought, unless it's a older student trying to fight me, I would never strike a student. I am very much against corperal punishment, if that needs to be done it' s the parents job.