would you ever turn a student away?

Posted by: Ed_Morris

would you ever turn a student away? - 07/12/06 03:50 PM

would you ever refuse (politely of course) to teach a prospective student?

lets say someone walks into your club and is interested in taking your classes. which one of these scenarios would you turn away:

1. the person is average height, but well over 350lbs.

2. the person has multiple face peircings and tells you they won't remove them but is willing to risk it.

3. the person mentions, for religious reasons, they will not engage in any 'ceremonial' or iconic things like wearing rank, bowing, or speaking a foreign language nor recite any codes.

4. the person is obviously a transgender female, (was male-is now a female, without operation).

5. tells you they will pay x money to learn 1 particular kata or skill.

6. the person happens to be your sibling's ex-spouse who is cuurently going thru a nasty legal battle with each other.

7. a student who always pays on time and in full, but consitantly only shows up to one class per month.

8. a person who has double the amount of MA experience as you and visibly more skill than yourself, but is humble about it.

9. someone who is not particularly interested in the Art, but more in the exercise aspect.

10. a student of another school, who you know will be taking the other art simultaneously.

thanks, -E
Posted by: MattJ

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/12/06 04:50 PM

Quote:

lets say someone walks into your club and is interested in taking your classes. which one of these scenarios would you turn away:

Done that in my AKK school, in addition to teaching a 6'10" 275 giant. A challenge, yes. Not impossible, though.

2. the person has multiple face peircings and tells you they won't remove them but is willing to risk it.

Not a chance.

3. the person mentions, for religious reasons, they will not engage in any 'ceremonial' or iconic things like wearing rank, bowing, or speaking a foreign language nor recite any codes.

If it's part of the school, then they should do it within reason.

4. the person is obviously a transgender female, (was male-is now a female, without operation).

Don't see a problem except for the factor, LOL.

Hmm........skill? Ok. Kata? I don't think so.

6. the person happens to be your sibling's ex-spouse who is cuurently going thru a nasty legal battle with each other.

HELL NO!

7. a student who always pays on time and in full, but consitantly only shows up to one class per month.

As long as they understand they will take a LONG time to get anywhere, I guess so.

8. a person who has double the amount of MA experience as you and visibly more skill than yourself, but is humble about it.

9. someone who is not particularly interested in the Art, but more in the exercise aspect.

Nope. Join a gym.

10. a student of another school, who you know will be taking the other art simultaneously.

I don't see why not.

*gulp*

Having read my responses....wow. Maybe I am a McInstructor!
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/12/06 04:50 PM

If I were to run a school, the only person I would turn away would be someone I felt was dangerous, such as a known child molestor.

If someone came to my school and said that they wouldn't participate in x y and z, then I would tell them that I didn't think the school was a good fit for them. Unless there is a health reason that prevents someone from doing something, I would expect the rules and curriculum to be followed.

If there was a conflict of interest such as the nasty divorce situation, I would have to make it judgement call based on the situation. If they don't bring it into the classroom then there isn't a problem, but if it becomes an issue, then I might have to ask the student to leave until the situation has been resolved.

The fact is, I would have other students to think about and if that person is a distraction or dangerous then its my responsibility to make sure I do something to provide a safe environment to train.

Laura
Posted by: JKogas

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/12/06 06:45 PM

Ed Morris wrote
Quote:

Quote:

I would definitely KEEP that guy! If you don’t have a massive heavyweight to train with, you’re missing some valuable learning experiences.

Quote:

I wouldn’t risk blood on my mats. They’d have to take them off or no dice.

Quote:

That would be fine by me! I don’t do any of that myself.

Quote:

Nope. No dice. I’m good with most things but that’s still a little freaky. If its THAT obvious, it’s just going to be more of a distraction than anything else.

Quote:

That would be weird, wouldn’t it? I’ve not ever had that happen nor do I think I will. However if a person wants to pay me, it’s their dime and their time. I’ll show them whatever they want.

Quote:

I’d gladly welcome him in to “train”

Quote:

No deal there. With limited space, the paying and committed students get any available spots.

Quote:

I’d welcome them in and “force” THEM to lead training, lol. Who cares who gets the credit as long as the training is good!

Quote:

So long as they are committed, I don’t care WHY they want to train.

Quote:

Fine by me. They’re no threat to us and, we might learn something in the process.

-John
Posted by: roninofGa

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/12/06 10:16 PM

#1 Keep.
#2 No. They must take off for liability and safety reasons.
#3 Explain that this may not be their cup of tea.
#4 keep
#5 Not during regular class. Maybe, just maybe in my spare time. As above stated. It's their dime.
#6 NOPE! Too risky to chance.
#7 No problem here.
#8 No problem
#9 keep. Maybe they may get to liking the art just by attending.
#10 Sure. Maybe they will go to the other school and tell their friends there what the are learning at my place and they come too.
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/13/06 10:16 AM

Yes but would take great care to make sure they did not kill themselves lol Seriously I have had a couple of seriously overweight students.

No way. This could be dangerous to others as well as them. I have trained a girl with several facial piercings. She had no problem removing them for training

I would explain the dojo rules. Nobody has to comply but if they don't want to, they need a different dojo

Absolutely irrelevant

Not sure, possibly if it did not interfere with my own students in any way

No way

Up to them but it would be made clear that progress would be slow

Cool - teach me too please

They can train but progress would be impeded. If they only want excercise this won't matter but I know many who joined for excercise and then got hooked on the art.

Not a problem. I would ask them to discuss this with their existing instructor first out of courtesy. Sometimes my students ask about cross training. Most times I suggest other places, but occasionally there is a good reason to advice against it, ie a beginner that wants to train in two striking arts without a strong base in one. However, I only advise - it's their call.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/13/06 11:22 AM

The only person I have ever seen turned away from class was a man who had a criminal record and didn't declare it to the instructor. (Police check turned it up). He lasted 2 lessons.
Posted by: harlan

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/13/06 11:27 AM

Does anyone have so many students that they can 'afford' to turn them away? I look around and only see the teacher...where are these prospective students?
Posted by: GungFuTy

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/13/06 11:48 AM

I kind of wanted to respond just to question 8. I hope thats ok

Last semester Paul (I hope he doesn't mind me telling this story ) Joined my class. Most of his family had been killed in fighting in Cambodia. He took up TKD for self defense. He eventually moved to the US and joined my class.

This guy was super dedicated to the arts. He practiced at least 2-3 hrs a day 7 days a week plus taught TKD plus attended my class.

Anyways, it was a great experiance being able to teach someone an art that simply was such a good martial artist.

Personally I think you would be crazy to turn down someone like that. It teaches you that you may know more than you think and it lets you learn from someone more experianced at the same time.

My respects to Paul, especially if he frequents this forum
Posted by: trevek

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/13/06 01:21 PM

I'd be ok with most of them, although Mr Piercings would have it explained he'd not take part on sparring, only non-contact work, patterns etc (until he saw the light).

Mr Religious, I'd suggest he try somewhere else (for the sake of class discipline and me not wanting to walk a tightrope every class).

ex-spouse guy would depend on circumstance and my relationship with them.

transgender guy, I'd make the class watch "Beautiful Boxer" and make it clear I wouldn't tolerate any hassle.

Mr -Pay-to -Learn, I'd suggest private classes.

That being said, I don't teach anyway
Posted by: cxt

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/13/06 02:10 PM

Ed

Good questions---very thought provoking, as usual.

1-No, would sit down with him and go over my concerns and work out a plan to help him meet his goals

2-Yes, the rules are there for EVERYONES saftey--not just his

3-Relgious reasons not to use the correct terms for techiniques?
I'd pretty much insist that the correct terms are being used--again for saftey sake.

-Rank--could care less
-Uniform--If everyone is wearing one so should they
-Bow--could care less.

4-Why would "transgender" be an issue? I would not consider it an issue at all

5-Might take the money---in order to do a "kata" correctly would take enough effort that they would have to learn FAR more than just the kata--they would have learned at least the basics of the system.

I see no reason not to teach them any kata another "white belt" would know.

My answer would be different if they wanted to learn a advanced kata--maybe.

6-Nope, if they and a realtive of mine are at odds--and my sister is NOT to blame then I can't see that I would teach them.

7-If the student is "ok" taking forever to improve then thats his/her choice.
Some folks just want to train as they please--and its not about ME.

8-If they are "better" than me--then why would they want to learn from me?

-If they just want to learn a "different" style--then sure, why not?
Happy for them to teach me what THEY know as well.

-If they are there just to keep in training--sure, why not?

9-Exercise--sure, martial arts training is pretty good for you--they training right, they will end up with more than they came in for--and that is not a bad thing.

10-Maybe not--such person would really stuggle--might be setting them up for failure in BOTH schools.

If they could gut it out AND keep what they do "there"--seperate from what we do "here"--maybe.

Guess I would advise him/her to pick a style and focus on it--but if they would not listen?
Then I guess I would let them try.

And in answer to your question--yes I have refused to teach people, mainly for general attitude reasons.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/14/06 12:01 AM

Hello Ed:

The criteria would be a pretty small list, but there would be some iron clad no-no's which would merit refusal.

Weight is not on the list.

Stupidity however is on the refusal list. Jewelry is not allowed and must be removed period. IF they won't remove it for a brief class period, they cannot study. It/they will get destroyed... avoid the avoidable injury ergo jewelry is not allowed.

Misperceptions & Beliefs. Provided they have a basic understanding of our reasons for using such actions (whatever they might be)... and do not interfear with them in any way the door is open.

Training is not about ones sexual interests or activities.
Therefore literally not relevant.

As CXT mentioned previously depends on the particular what & why somebody wanted to learn a given concept or practice. As to relatives, much persistance is absolutely necessary before I would ever consider it. Paid but uncommitted. Their needs are somehow met and we teach regardless... The conversation will occur at some point "...we are glad to have you but do you realize..." As to the ~exercise student~, again their needs are met. Provided they do not expect the curricilium to keep them ~entertained~, or altered to fit their mistaken perceptions, the door is open.

As to the double experience & skill student & the simultainous arts "studier"... the former I would be very, extremely cautious. Why do they wish to study with me? What do they seek to learn given their tangible skills, and experience? Possible yes... but ~shields are up~ and at maximum.

The latter what is their purpose, their goal studying multiple places? Much less at the same time... not a prayer they will stay at either long....

Jeff
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/14/06 02:19 AM

1. 350lbs. - No: Morbidly obese, risk of heart attack, stroke ot joint problems, too much liability, lose 150 lbs first.

2. Multiple face peircings - Yes: Must wear headgear of my choosing, it will get hot in there

3. Religious reasons - No: Find something closer to your beliefs, school won't change for 1 person

4. Transgender female - Yes: as long as 'her' behavior & appearance isn't disruptive (read 'flaming')

5. Will pay money for kata or skill - Depends: Tell them they will acquire that kata/skill in regulat class training, alternative is private lessons w/o grading

6. Your sibling's ex-spouse - No: too much baggage/history (& she may be too hot!)

7. Always pays on time, one class per month - Yes: It's their $$$

8. More skill than yourself - Yes: Forces me to be sharper, I could learn something too

9. Not interested in MA just exercise - Yes: must do everything the class does, won't promote if they don't fight

10. Student of another school - Yes: who hasn't cross-trained, would like to know if the other sensei is OK w/ it...if not, sorry, don't solicit students from my school though or you're out
Posted by: JohnL

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/14/06 08:27 AM

What's the problem?

Hard luck. If he wants to train, they come out.

My House, my rules!

Depends if the other transgender in the class (was female, now male, without operation) wants a date with him/her.

How much?

As the legal battle only revolves around custody of the family hamster, I think I'll let it slide.

If it works for him and doesn't affect me, fine.

No one that exceeds my own skill level by that much could possibly be humble about it. They'd be shouting from the rooftops.

Many people train for many different reasons.

What's the problem?
Posted by: schanne

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/14/06 10:35 AM

Are you and Ross Perot brothers? LOL
Posted by: MartinVonCannon

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/14/06 12:31 PM

Quote:

None of these are worth turning someone away.

Quote:

These would be reason. They boil down to discipline and open-mindedness. The person is obviously not secure in themselves and not open minded.

Quote:

Not a problem.

Quote:

This would not be worth my time nor theirs. They obviously have skill, or want only to learn something specific. That or they just don't want to bother. So neither would I.

Quote:

For conflicting points of view, I might. Depends on my relationship with them and my sibling.

Quote:

If the student is happy this way, by all means let them come.

Quote:

Although these are challenges, these are not reasons enough to turn them away.
Posted by: underdog

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/15/06 08:17 AM

Curious list. Good for a few laughs.

I'd turn a student away if I suspected serious mental illness that would lead to inappropriate aggressive/violent behavior.

I'd take the 350 lb student with an MD note of approval and a contract that states the school is not responsible ... such as all other students sign.

I'd be watchful of the transgendered person as I would other very unusual people just because I'm not perfect. The objective would be to dismiss anyone who sexualizes the learning experience regardless looks tattoos, body piercing, or other physical attributes. If there is no problem, I wouldn't make one.

I would question the person from 2 schools. My upbringing is that you don't study from another schools unless you are seriously thinking about changeing schools, or already a black belt. If a person were in a color rank and studying some place else and not considering just changeing over, I'd want approval from the other school.

I would take a student who just wanted to learn one thing if in interview it sounded reasonable. I might be there myself in awhile. I really want to learn Sanchin, for example. It is not one of our school kata but it has great energy, technique and historical value.
Posted by: haze

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/16/06 03:11 PM

Will need medical permission.

Take them out or get out.(nothing against piercings)

This is ok. To each their own.

Big lawsuit coming on this one

No, out

No, stay out of the family disputes

Talk to them, see whats up.

Opportunity for me to learn

To each their own.

Ok with me if they have permission from the other teacher too.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/17/06 12:59 PM

Got one nearly like that now,not a problem.

Bye,bye bozo.

Please don't come to my school and tell me what you won't do. buh-bye.

Ok,if I can keep from laughing.

Private lessons?Sure,why not.

Buh-bye

Nope,they'd have to relearn everything each month.

Teach me!!

Go do Tae bo!

Sure!
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/17/06 05:10 PM

I'd do it, but it would be a challenge. Would worry about the rest of the students being slowed down.

Get over it man. I'd give him a speech about liability - especially regarding the safety of other students. Lose them or I lose you.

Don't think I'd push any of that, but I would def be put off by someone who refuses to speak words in another language. If you're that xenophobic, why would you want to learn an MA of foreign origin to begin with?

Sure. Every time I see Boys Don't Cry I sort of hope the ending changes and Hillary Swank takes on her Million Dollar Baby persona and kicks those guys butt$ before they do what they do. I have no problem teaching SD to anyone who could be the potential victim of a hate crime. However, they get no special treatment because of their "difference".

"For $200 I will teach you Monkey Steals the Peach."
Cha-ching.

Can't really discriminate over that, as much as I would want to. Maybe some MA would chill them out.

I'd probably have a sit down and tell them that they're wasting their money and my time.

I'd make them a partner!

Hope you like sparring, because we don't have any workoutamajig machinery here.

It would be pretty hypocritical of me if I didn't.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/18/06 05:02 AM

Very interesting topic. My reasoning would be

As long as I get his Doctor's bill of health then everything is ok I'd slowly work him to get himself fitter and let him control how hard to push him.

Its My Dojo - thats the rules, like them or 'Goodbye you are the weakest link' go find a MCdojo who's only interested in get money from you

Again, Its My Dojo - thats the rules, like them or 'Goodbye you are the weakest link' go find a MCdojo who's only interested in get money from you

Hey in a Gi, we all 'look' the same so as long as they personally don't make an issue of it they'll be treated the same as any other student

Hey, this is where I see $ signs in my eyes (Welcome to Mcdojoland) I would add that they must purchase a Licence (Insurance) and GI and yeah no probs $'s for a Kata they could learn it from a book/DVD for $20

Sorry, Family is first, I'd recommend another Dojo for them to train in

As with other replies, I would have to speak to them regards what they want out of the style. if it transpires they have other issues, try and resolve them they might start coming more often

The style I teach is not traditional Karate so there are no Kata which they would know, I find that those with Experience make the best students. I never look at my students as lesser mortals, I see them all as future Instructors

tell them to find a Mcdojo or join a Gym or even find a 'Taibo' or 'Boxersize' with the Lycra brigade Karate is about the whole not just exercise

Again, The style I teach is not traditional Karate so there are no Kata which they would know, I find that those with Experience make the best students. As long as their other Sensei is happy for them to 'Cross tain' so am I but as long as it doesn't interfer with their learning - I was studying Ashihara karate, Krav Maga, Atemi Jujitsu and Wado Ryu, I've wittled it down to Ashihara Karate (that I teach) and Wado Ryu which I study as white belt.

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/18/06 07:14 PM

OK my curiosity is getting the better of me. In my list response, I mentioned that I WOULD take the student who wants to learn a particular technique or kata. I'm assuming that other factors are appropriate. I mentioned that I personally could be in that position because I want to learn Sanchin. I am surprised by how many people wouldn't want to teach it to me. Yes, I actually do have the video of the version I want to learn and I've checked around with the exponents of my style to make sure that it is the one I want. It is just different learning something as rich as Sanchin from someone who "grew up" with it and loves it than just getting it from some forum postings and a DVD. This is hypothetical, of course, but why wouldn't people want to teach me Sanchin (or something else applicable that I might want from your school/style)?

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/18/06 10:58 PM

many probably wouldn't because styles are considered a package deal. and I can see the reasoning if they were teaching it that way. the fact is, most don't teach how Sanchin relates to principals and tactics that is fundamental and common to the Art. The movements are taught along with the impression it's a 'conditioning' exercise and not any deeper than that.

It's funny (odd) because places that just teach movements and exercise might not teach just the one kata since they want to give the impression to others that it's a package deal. lol

personally, I do see it as a fundamental which makes it particularly suited to teach it on it's own. but I don't teach since I'm a hobbyist still learning. but if someone wanted to know the movements and some thoughts on it in person, I'd share that, but not for money since I never mix business with fun.

btw, underdog, we should get together some time - you aren't too far away and the stuff you and Gavin explained in the PPoint forum does sound interesting.
Posted by: harlan

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/18/06 11:26 PM

I'm a newbie to the arts, but I wouldn't teach Sanchin except as exercise to a newbie. And it is completely for selfish reasons. I'd want a student who would committ to learning something that I valued...and I consider Sanchin to be 'the Jewel of Goju'.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/18/06 11:33 PM

Ed,
there's no reason to turn a student away unless you simply don't want to teach them. As a teacher, they're at your mercy to only learn what you show them. If they aren't worthy of being given "the good stuff", just keep it to yourself or coach your other students privately.

People study martial arts for all kinds of reasons, and just because I don't think their reasons match mine isn't reason to refuse to teach them. Unless they show or have bad character, they can learn as much as they can without the specific instruction necessary for them to be "lethal".

I never know how a student is going to turn out until I've spent some time training with them and by then, I've either decided to teach them everything or dry things up enough that they'll go away on their own. I had one student who was terrible, and in the course of teaching him, I gained three others who were exceptional that were his friends and came to study with us. He eventually left on his own because he just wanted to tell everybody he was taking martial arts, but he didn't ever develop any real skills. His three friends, however, have been doing martial arts for several years now, and growing daily in their practice.

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/20/06 10:36 AM

I hear what you are saying. just to make it clear, I don't teach because I don't consider myself qualified. maybe some aspects I'm qualified, but not the Art as a whole.

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/20/06 01:59 PM

I understand that different schools may have different teaching missions. For example: if a class were for training police officers or if the class were a part of the military, then the mission is very different than the martial arts school on the shopping plaza complete with its kids classes and tiny tigers (which have already been trashed in another thread). There are teachers around who only teach black belts and so on. A teacher is welcome to teach in any setting and with any mission that fits his/her personal goals.

For my part, the dogged underdog, I am grateful to the teachers who just feel great patience and neighborliness who take me on as a student. I'm grateful to all the teachers who are themselves worthy practitioners and who want to "give back" some of what the art has given them. Who you turn down has to do with your mission statement. If your school advertises that you school is for men and women of all ages, then folks with any manner of disability may show up. Some you will be able to teach and some, you won't know how or won't have the resources to help. Some will be atypical students like me. I am very glad to be having my opportunity to study. I love what I am doing even knowing I will never be amongst the truly great. But know what? I think I might be the toughest grandmother in Mansfield Ma.

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/22/06 04:24 PM

Come to Cape Cod this upcoming weekend. Contact Cody at Kyusho.cody@verizon.net. Conference runs from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. Lots of Kyusho. If you come, PM me so that I'll know how to recognize you. I'm easy to pick out. There are usually not many females.
Posted by: Derik

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/23/06 05:29 AM

Here another one, somone in a wheelchair with no function of their lower body

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/23/06 08:21 AM

Actually, one of our competition schools has a black belt with little function in his legs. His preferred mode of ambulation is by wheel chair, although I've seen him use a crutches with his chair nearby for when he met his limit on the crutches. He was great and inspiring. Someone did the right thing to give him a chance.

I had a wheel chair student with developmental delay in my special needs class for a few years but that was a special deal. All of those students were awesome.
Posted by: Derik

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 07/23/06 06:52 PM

Theres a black belt in my style too that is in a wheelchair he devolped basicly a sign language for kicks
Posted by: Jeff_G

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 09/03/06 05:10 AM

How about the guy who came into the club one night carrying a baseball bat? He looked like he had just had the business end of that bat used on his face in the past 24 hours. He also appeared to have self medicated with a bottle of something.

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 09/03/06 08:00 AM

Sounds like for this guy I call the police.
Posted by: migo

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 09/03/06 10:49 AM

>> no problem, big guys are great to work with

>> tata, no way a cross face won't rip some of them out

>> fine by me, but they've gotta shake hands and show proper respect

>> no problem there

>> how big is x?

>> I'd have to think about it, but as long as they pay and don't cause trouble, why not?

>> ehh, that's a tough one, I'd probably give them a discount

>> no problem at all, I'd welcome them

>> sure, as long as they don't become a hindrance

10. a student of another school, who you know will be taking the other art simultaneously

>> no problem at all, unless they'd be entering competitions, if it's the same type of competition at both schools, then no, that would be some issues, completely different style, I'm all for it
Posted by: Uchinanchu

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 09/05/06 11:12 AM

Edsan, Hisashiburi ne.

As usual, your posts can be quite thought provoking at times....and humbling. You are already a great "teacher" whether you realize it or not.
I know it's been quite awhile since I have posted anything, so I thought I would chime in for once (instead of just lurking). I found everyone's posts interesting, in that they were all so similar in answering the questions. On that note, let me answer your questions in my own fashion.

Teaching on a military installation for a few years (under contract) was quite a pain. When dealing with the military, you run into all sorts of "interesting" people that you HAVE to deal with in a certain specific way (usually outlined in the contract). Also, you must go thru a costomer service class (if contracted thru MCCS) so as not to loose potential "customers".
Needless to say, one gets tired of having one's hands tied as to how one "runs a business". I did not start teaching to make money. I did it to honor my obligation to my sensei and his teachings. So, I basically became a very bad business man and ran things EXACTLY the way I wanted to.

So to finally answer your questions (in my own fashion), if I ever return stateside, I will not advertise, so the only students that I will ever encounter will be ones that have a direct invitation from myself, or have a formal letter of introduction from a third party.
Once they have been evaluated, I will then decide if I wish to keep them on as a student. Harsh sounding? Maybe, but as I said, I am NOT a business man.
As I have stated in earlier posts, my sensei's dojo is always open and we welcome all interested parties...but rules of a dojo are not to be taken lightly. If it is your dojo, you can be as "flexible" with your rules as YOU wish to be. If it's ran like a business, well, you have obligations other than passing on your teachings, to worry about.
Sorry if this sounded preachy. It's not meant to be. Just running a school under contract left a bad taste in my mouth for quite awhile...
Posted by: Galen

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 09/05/06 11:48 AM

Not only would they not be turned away, I would encourage them to come in and train as long and hard as is safe for them. Being one who was once overweight myself, I have nothing but respect for anyone who faces that challenge and is resolute to beat it.

As far as I am concerned, its not only their safety at risk. It’s the students they train with. Sorry. The piercings are removed (all of them) for class, or they don’t train.

I would try to explain that some of these trappings are simply part of the curriculum, and not reflective of any religious stances one way or another. If they still refused, they have demonstrated a willingness and demand to be above the other students, and refuse to follow protocol. Gone.

Cant think of anything more irrelevant. They would be more than welcome to train.

To me that is like a student pilot saying “I only want to learn how to take off.”

Nope.

If I got the impression that their desire to train is pure, they would be more than welcome.

It would be made clear that their progress would likely be commensurate with their attendance. If they want to pay full dues and only take advantage of one class per month, that’s their call. No issue.

Why someone like that would want to pay to attend a class that they wont learn much from is beyond me, but I would certainly not turn them away.

They reasons for training are their own, and as long as they follow the curriculum, more power to them.

I openly encourage my students to train in other styles and other arts. I recommend that they wait until they have a solid foundation in one before trying another, but its hardly a rule. No problem.

G
Posted by: vegantkd

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 09/10/06 01:40 PM

"4. the person is obviously a transgender female, (was male-is now a female, without operation)."
isn't it illegal to turn away someone for this reason?

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 09/10/06 03:03 PM

It may or may not be illegal. I think it depends on the state. Some states come pretty close to making it illegal. It is probably foolish. Firstly, someone's sexual orientation or sexual identification, or sexual anything else, ought never to enter the discussion. The only time it should ever become an issue, regardless of sexual attributes, would be if someone (1) sexualized the physical contact which is unavoidable in martial arts,(2) used vulgar language or other sexually inappropriate language or sexually harrassing language (3) was inappropriately coming on to others in the school (4) shunned the dress code and was not dressed properly for class. If none of these are an issue, then who cares?
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 09/10/06 03:53 PM

Quote:

The only person I have ever seen turned away from class was a man who had a criminal record and didn't declare it to the instructor. (Police check turned it up). He lasted 2 lessons.

he has done his time, doesn't he deserve a second chance?
Posted by: crablord

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 09/11/06 02:10 AM

Quote:

are we talking muscle or fat here? if its fat then no.

nope, depending on the piercings, if small then yes.

nope, religion [censored] me off. If they cant wear the uniform or bow then [censored] em. (srry lol)

no, i can imagine how awkward it would be if i had to spar with a transexual. that is if i didnt just leave then and there. So no go on this one.

Sure i guess...no harm done

sure, if the guys nice then why not..plus, who says we like our siblings

yep, no harm done again.

sure, nothing wrong with that

Yep, sure. as long as he did what he was told.

absolutely. This is a good thing.

Re: would you ever turn a student away? - 09/11/06 11:12 PM

interesting responses. whats more interesting is the collective profiles it makes. painting a broad stroke, I read two basic philosophies here:

"my way or the highway"
vs.
"politically correct"

with perhaps a gray area inbetween, that I'll call: "business casual".

I'll go a little off-topic, but wanted to mention this, since it may be of interest...

not surprizingly, your responses could roughly fall into management and leadership personalities/styles. ..and with more people opening their own - probably led to the spike in 'dojo management' books recently (most are trash and just recycled '101' management courses or 'get rich quick' schemes).

For some depth on the subject, whether you manage your own gym for free enjoyment or as a business - I recommend reading "The 33 Strategies of War" by Robert Greene.
http://www.amazon.com/33-Strategies-War-Robert-Greene/dp/0670034576
It puts business and personal decisions/pitfalls in a martial framework with real world philosophies to dig your thoughts into.