McDojo Inc?

Posted by: Empishu

McDojo Inc? - 07/07/06 11:16 AM

Alright, so I talked to my sensei about starting a college club.

At first I thought he would be resistant, but he was actually quite encouraging. He told me it would be a good experience and gave me some pretty good advice about teaching (Not all good martial artists are teachers, need to give everyone something, give them what they need not what they want, ect) He regaled me with stories from his college karate club days that his teacher, who although was an amazing martial artist (took first in forms and sparring back in the day, 1973-4-5ish, for all you guys who are into such things), was a terrible person, but his assistant instructor, although not that great was a pretty nice guy.

Anyway, he gave me this binder that he said he was going to give to another MA friend of his who was starting his own school. It was a 'book' written for how to run martial arts career training

So I politely said thank you very much, and he was really enthusiastic about it. It was written by Dave and Tim Kovar....of Kovar Karate Center Inc. He went on about how they have 1000 operational schools, and how many students the have......reading through the book it was more on how to build a bussiness like karate school. It has some helpful tips on how to get things up and running..but then it kinda slid into training paid assistant instructors ...and running kids programs.....to its credit its good for what its made for...has anyone even heard/attend Kovar Karate? It looks really McDojoish and doesn't seemed to be geared to one specific style or any sort of curriculum...

Any thoughts?
Posted by: MartinVonCannon

Re: McDojo Inc? - 07/07/06 02:16 PM

I have not read the particular book you mentioned, but have read books like that. They do tend to be written just like you described. Take into account what you said earlier about not all martial artists are teachers.

It is a school, which means it is a business. Most martial artist teachers (myself included) do not know how to run a business very well. It is not very easy to figure out either. This book, may apply more than you think (you pointed some things out). I would also recommend "Parents' guide to martial arts", and "Starting and running your own martial arts school". Use the advice as it applies.

For actual teaching, "iManual", which can be gotten at http://www.4kicks.com and Keith Pascal's books http://www.kerwinbenson.com/

Re: McDojo Inc? - 07/07/06 02:41 PM

The very truth of it is my friend, I have no intention of starting my own commercial school. I'm 18 going into college, wanting to start a club to share what I know and maybe host a seminar with Kaicho Alan Amor:http://www.ryubeikan.org/index.html, and teach the old style of karate.
Now will there be bussiness concerns, yes. Will I need to get a good insurance policty, yes. Will I need to make sure I have the proper space for my club and make sure the college doesn't try to pull my program in favor to the TKD program, yes. Do I need to make sure I need equipment to use (bags, focus mits, makiwara if I can get one, sparring gear, weapons) yes.

Do I, as an 18 year old college student really worry about making money off of this? No.

Re: McDojo Inc? - 07/07/06 05:35 PM

I see your concerns. I am not exactly in the same boat as you. I don't teach for the money, but I do run my class as a business. I teach out of a recreation center. I do not follow every word these book have (no BB club, no leadership team, no demo team, etc). Yes, the majority of them are money making based. But not all of them. You have to dig for those. One of the biggest things you have at your disposal is this board.

The books main targets are stand alone studios that have rent to pay. You and I don't have that issue. Mats are provided to me if I need them. At $200 a pop, a stand alone studio needs to generate income to pay for them. Then there is the other things like electricity, insurance, advertisement and the like. You would be surprised at how many people start a business without thinking of something as simple as a business cards.

You have a facility at your disposal that you do not have to pay for. You have some equipment that you do not have to maintain. A janitor service that is provided. The average studio output is around 2 - 3 k a month. You don't have to worry about most, if any, of that.

You mentioned equipment. You may have to buy that. Then there is maintenance of that equipment along with storage of that equipment. What about promotions or new students? Will you provide testings or uniforms? When you say club to me, I picture a group of people getting together and just training. No promotions or testing. Just working out. But is that what you envision? Or potential members? You also have to let other students know about your club. Advertisment is a big spenditure. Flyers on the cork board can get lost. An ad in the school paper may get overlooked. How else can you get the word out? Remember, no members means your club gets cut.

Now, lets focus on the future. What are you going to do when you complete college? Forewarned is forearmed. Perhaps you will start a studio when you graduate. Maybe you will teach out of a rec center or get a loan and start up a store front. Going to college you could take a course or two about business or other things that might help.

Re: McDojo Inc? - 07/08/06 11:39 AM

True, I do need some start up capital. Thats why I'm hoping the school with give me a budget to get things rolling. I'm entering a completely new undergraduate program in the city of Philadelphia thats a satalite for a college out in St.Davids. Not to boast, but I'm their first accepted student there, and I helped them out on a wing and a prayer.
Since I'll be using campus space paying 'bills' won't be a problem. Insurance shouldn't be either because the head of the organization I'm apart of is an insurance salesmen. Equipment issue, I'm probably going to have to roll with, but hopefully everythign will work out.
As for belt promotionms I'm not really sure. I don't really like the ideas of 'belts' to begin with, but I'll be working that out with my sensei. Advertising, I'll post flyers everywhere I can. We'll see how it'll work out.

As a college club, do I really need a bussiness card?

As for after college, I'm probably going to seminary afterward. Either I stay around the same are where I'am or I go to another state. Either way I still carry the banner of Ryukyu Kempo around with me and will continue to promote it as much as I can.

Re: McDojo Inc? - 07/10/06 10:50 AM

Excellent! It looks like you have a plan, and that is the most important part. It also looks like you have some of the other smaller stuff taken care of.

As for business cards, you may not need them.