A new teaching strategy needed

Posted by: BrianS

A new teaching strategy needed - 02/23/06 06:17 AM

As alot of you know our school has always trained outside,I have been doing it that way forever it seems,but things change.
In the next couple of months we will begin teaching in a local church gym,this is no small church by Arkansas standards. It's a $5million gym,not small either. We will be taking on alot of new students from age 12 and up. There are several issues we need to get straight before the starting date,April 18,such as insurance,what if's etc...We will only be charging a minimal fee to cover equipment costs as well.
I started teaching a few years ago,but it's has been a class of ten or less people and they start and progress together.It has usually been friends of family and friends. This will not be he case with the new students,pretty much anyone will be able to join. I assume many will join and shortly thereafter quit etc..
What I'm looking for is some pointers from experienced instructors. Maybe some questions I need to ask and strategies for accomplishing our new responsibilities while keeping quality instruction.
Thankyou very much!
-Brian
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 02/23/06 09:30 AM

Hello BrianS:

Teaching is teaching.... instructing "friends" and family in some ways is far harder than instructing strangers. Strangers when you are done, go elsewhere... friends, family them you likely take home , have dinner with, so forth...

<<what if's etc...

For instance???

<<Maybe some questions I need to ask

The church leaders? The new students? The parents of the new children? The group as a whole? For certain you will want some kind of information sheet FROM them. Name, address, previous experience, etc. so you can keep track of them in your database (however you keep records).

You will probably want to have a "class filled" number, and likely a waiting list. Neither will mean anything as you'll let the "wait list" in.... IF, if the group is not too many for you to handle. Fairly certain, with a group of any size, you will want to consider an assistant, a volunteer assistant... LARGE group classes can be done, but are not for the ~faint of heart~... and a second set of eyes, a second adult voice cannot hurt... perhaps a third and forth if the numbers & composition merit it.

I will also make the assumption that the class will NOT mix kids and adults together in one group as neither is served by such a bad mixture. Adults often want to get away from kids (theirs or others) for an hour ALL their own. Adults cannot explore their abilities working with little children, and kids get badly distorted ideas of their abilities, skills working with grown-ups. Mixing them is a bad idea

How long in terms of weeks is your program? How long a period are the specific classes? Will this class be a one time deal or a long term program... we assume long term, but I need to ask. What do you want to teach the group? A certain hierarchy of information, once learned they continue forward...to new information? Do you have a basic lesson plan, ie what you want them to learn in the period of time (X weeks) at the end of which they can demonstrate in front of the group clearly?

Lots of possible questions one can ask THEM, but first we need a little more detail of your what's & why's to be genuinely helpful....

J
Posted by: schanne

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 02/23/06 01:07 PM

such as insurance,what if's etc...We will only be charging a minimal fee to cover equipment costs as well.

Brain hi, sounds like your moving into the business world of MA. Teaching a few friends outside to now responsibly running a dojo with insuranse etc...sounds fun. Like any other business you have to fiqure what your over head cost will be first. There are a number of MA insurance programs to look into that cover what you intend to do. The church might even have an "insurance rider" that covers your needs so I would talk with the person in charge of the churches insurance before you start shopping. In this sue happy day & age it is imperative you get liability coverage too, I've seen to many people say "oh that could never happen to me " Short story...we have birthday parties at our dojo, it's a good way to recrute new student and last Sunday they were playing some type of run around game. Two little girls collided and the one had to have eight stitches on her fore head. There were about ten parents watching little "Sally" bleed over the dojo floor so this is just one example what can happen. Rent & insuranse besides your time are your biggest over head/liability. Do your homework and know all your cost up front and you should have a nice teaching facility...the rest is just teaching and I think your probably already good at that part. Here are a few other things to think about....

Do you want to make a profit, you know there nothing wrong with that, you are running a business?

After establishing yourself will you need extra help $$?

Do you plan on advertising $$?

How much are you charging for test $$?

Do you plan on giving away FREE uniforms for new students?

Contracts?

Heavy bags, mats, focus mits and training equipment $$$$$??

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 02/24/06 01:33 AM

Quote:

" <<Maybe some questions I need to ask "

The church leaders? The new students? The parents of the new children? The group as a whole? For certain you will want some kind of information sheet FROM them. Name, address, previous experience, etc. so you can keep track of them in your database (however you keep records).

Very good idea,thanks.

Quote:

You will probably want to have a "class filled" number, and likely a waiting list. Neither will mean anything as you'll let the "wait list" in.... IF, if the group is not too many for you to handle. Fairly certain, with a group of any size, you will want to consider an assistant, a volunteer assistant... LARGE group classes can be done, but are not for the ~faint of heart~... and a second set of eyes, a second adult voice cannot hurt... perhaps a third and forth if the numbers & composition merit it.

Most likely there will always be at least two instructors present during the classes. I like the fill number idea,hadn't thought of that.

Quote:

I will also make the assumption that the class will NOT mix kids and adults together in one group as neither is served by such a bad mixture. Adults often want to get away from kids (theirs or others) for an hour ALL their own. Adults cannot explore their abilities working with little children, and kids get badly distorted ideas of their abilities, skills working with grown-ups. Mixing them is a bad idea

Like I said,we will not be teaching anyone under 12yrs of age.

Quote:

How long in terms of weeks is your program? How long a period are the specific classes? Will this class be a one time deal or a long term program... we assume long term, but I need to ask.

It's a karate class,no specific program terms. I'm not sure what you mean by that actually. The classes will be two hours long twice a week for now.

Quote:

What do you want to teach the group? A certain hierarchy of information, once learned they continue forward...to new information? Do you have a basic lesson plan, ie what you want them to learn in the period of time (X weeks) at the end of which they can demonstrate in front of the group clearly?

Were teaching karate and we have a belt system,we show them the next things when they are ready,no specific time frames.

Thanks Ronin1966.

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 02/24/06 01:42 AM

Quote:

such as insurance,what if's etc...We will only be charging a minimal fee to cover equipment costs as well.

Brain hi, sounds like your moving into the business world of MA. Teaching a few friends outside to now responsibly running a dojo with insuranse etc...sounds fun. Like any other business you have to fiqure what your over head cost will be first.

There are no overhead costs. The building is owned by the church,we are doing this by request of the building administrator who is a friend.

Quote:

There are a number of MA insurance programs to look into that cover what you intend to do. The church might even have an "insurance rider" that covers your needs so I would talk with the person in charge of the churches insurance before you start shopping. In this sue happy day & age it is imperative you get liability coverage too, I've seen to many people say "oh that could never happen to me " Short story...we have birthday parties at our dojo, it's a good way to recrute new student and last Sunday they were playing some type of run around game. Two little girls collided and the one had to have eight stitches on her fore head. There were about ten parents watching little "Sally" bleed over the dojo floor so this is just one example what can happen. Rent & insuranse besides your time are your biggest over head/liability. Do your homework and know all your cost up front and you should have a nice teaching facility...the rest is just teaching and I think your probably already good at that part. Here are a few other things to think about....

We have the insurance thing sorted out now, thanks.

Quote:

Do you want to make a profit, you know there nothing wrong with that, you are running a business?

I know there's nothing wrong with it,but I'm kind of on the fence about it right now. I was never charged anything,so I don't know how I would feel about it.

Quote:

After establishing yourself will you need extra help $$?

What do you mean?

Quote:

Probably not right away if at all.

Quote:

How much are you charging for test $$?

The fee will only be enough to cover the cost of the belt and certificate.

Quote:

Do you plan on giving away FREE uniforms for new students?

We'll probably just refer them to century if they wish to purchase one.

Quote:

Contracts?

Never

Quote:

Heavy bags, mats, focus mits and training equipment $$$$$??

This is what the monthly fees will go towards.We already have some equipment.

Thanks schanne!

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 02/27/06 03:11 PM

yabump.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 02/28/06 12:09 PM

Hello Brian:

Your welcome... glad I could help.

A two hour class or a two hour window in which you will be conducting classes?!?!?! Critical, critical difference.... which will you be doing?

J

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 03/01/06 05:10 AM

Quote:

Hello Brian:

Your welcome... glad I could help.

A two hour class or a two hour window in which you will be conducting classes?!?!?! Critical, critical difference.... which will you be doing?

J

If the class started at 3pm it would end at 5pm.
Posted by: Cord

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 03/03/06 12:28 PM

Brian, as you know, I am far from instructor level in any MA, but I did work in the fitness industry for years, and the duty of care to your students will be similar to mine.

1. Ensure that you have at least 1 emergency aid certified person on site during all classes. (you may be 1st aid qualified with the national guard, if so make sure its up to date, if not, go on a basic course)

2. Get all students to fill in a basic health questionare for your records- make sure you read their answers as well. You need to know of joint problems, heart problems/high BP, diabetes and epilepsy. Any BP/circulatory problems, you should request a letter of consent from their GP before they commence training with you.All of this information you must keep for a minimum of 3 years after they finish training with you.

3. If it is possible, try and offer a 'probationer' Q&A facility in the 15 mins prior to, or after the class, where new students can come early/stay late and get to know you a little better and ask questions about their new art, best ways to practice at home, realistic goal setting etc.
To retain their interest, you must use methods to convey your enthusiasm and love for the art, so that they can pick up and feed on that as quickly as possible.

Just my thoughts.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 03/03/06 09:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Probably not right away if at all.

i'd be careful with spending money on advertising. i used to deliver newspapers with leaflets in to the housing estate i live on (138 houses) which one week had a advert for a karate school. i was the only one who went.
Posted by: tkdbutterfly

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 03/06/06 04:06 PM

Quote:

I started teaching a few years ago,but it's has been a class of ten or less people and they start and progress together.It has usually been friends of family and friends. This will not be he case with the new students,pretty much anyone will be able to join.
What I'm looking for is some pointers from experienced instructors. Maybe some questions I need to ask and strategies for accomplishing our new responsibilities while keeping quality instruction.
Thankyou very much!
-Brian

Brian, I'm not sure if this is the information you are looking for, but here goes. Our organization is used to teaching multiple belt levels within the same class. The beginners classes, especially, are challenging because we have 3 belt levels, plus new students coming in at various times.

How we handle that is to do some things with the group as a whole and some things where they are broken into smaller groups by belt level. Everyone can usually work on the same hand techniques at the same time, as well as floor drills, isometrics, push ups, sit ups, squats, etc. They can also do kicks on targets at the same time; you just demonstrate one kick for each belt level and instruct them to work on that one kick 5 or 10 times with each leg. Having them do push ups/and or sit ups when they finish lets you know when the first pair has completed the technique so you can be ready to move on to the next technique.

To teach forms (katas) you can divide the groups up by belt level. If you have electrical tape in two parallel lines down the side of the floor, you can have one group work on their stances and blocks, while another group works on kicks down a rail (or down another side of the room) while you work with a third group on their form/kata. If you need to divide them into more groups, you can have a group doing jabbing techniques on targets, a group doing strength training exercises or shadow boxing or jumping rope.After about 5 minutes, stop and have the groups rotate.

If everyone but the newest students know their form/kata, you can have everyone spread out and do their form 2-3 times and then go off to the side and do push ups, sit ups, squats, calf extensions, and repeat the cycle, while you work with the new students.

Sometimes I increase the difficulty of a technique for students who have been around for awhile. If I have a new student and I am teaching them the front kick, I may have the other white belt students do sets of 3 front kicks at time before putting their foot down to work on balance and challenge them a little more, or have them do an axe kick/front kick combination.

We alternate between large group activities, small group techniques, large group activities, and so on.

Hope that helps some.

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 03/06/06 04:28 PM

Thanks for the good suggestions guys! I'm writing all of this down.
Posted by: sandan63

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 03/21/06 10:23 AM

LIKE BUTTERFLY WE PRACTICE BASICS AS A GROUP WHENWE MOVE INTO SELF DEFENCE WE PAIR UP A MORE EXPERIENCED KYU WITH A LOWER KYU.WE ALSO BREAK UP GROUPS ,BEGINNERS, INTERMEDIATE, AND ADVANCED, PART OF OUR CURRICULUM REQUIRES STUDENTS TO ASSIST IN TEACHING, THIS GIVES U HELP AND GIVES STUDENTS TEACHING EXPERIENCE,CONFIDENCE,AND MAKES A STRONGER SCOOL
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 03/21/06 11:31 AM

hi sandan63, I realize in your profile you deal with title insurance, but in your posts could you insure not working with this TITLE CASE? thanks.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 03/22/06 01:00 AM

So how goes it, Brian?

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 03/22/06 03:36 AM

Quote:

So how goes it, Brian?

The group is scheduled to start April 18th. I think we have everything pretty well lined out,but I'm open to new suggestions,as always. Thanks!
-B
Posted by: JoelM

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 03/22/06 08:43 AM

Suggestion? Be sure to file your taxes before then. Other than that, good luck.

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 05/26/06 02:16 AM

Thanks to some people procrastinating and being slooooowwwwww about things we still haven't started this group,but soon.

Re: A new teaching strategy needed - 07/07/06 12:16 PM

It is coming soon,hopefully very soon. We just ordered a LOT of equipment for it,sooo......stay tuned.