Never Knew How BAD I Was...

Posted by: yorik17

Never Knew How BAD I Was... - 02/10/06 08:46 AM

I've tried to train on my own for about 6 years, and I got good (moderately) and became more flexible than most my friends. I tried sparring someone who knew what they were doing, and who was training in the same martial art style I was. I was SOOO formless on what I did. I am training in TKD and Kung Fu, and most of my stuff looks like childish karate. My posture, wrong... Techniques, wrong... Footwork, wrong... All I have to say to this is MYAAAAAA !!! It's hard, ya know?! Advice?

Best wishes
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Never Knew How BAD I Was... - 02/10/06 09:51 AM

Find an instructor.
Posted by: AndrewGreen

Re: Never Knew How BAD I Was... - 02/10/06 10:03 AM

How good would you expect to get at any one on one, or even team sport training by yourself without a coach or opponents?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Never Knew How BAD I Was... - 02/10/06 10:08 AM

Yorik -

Welcome to the wonderful world of martial arts. Don't get discouraged. Find an instructor, and study well. There will always be people better than you - this is not a bad thing, as this means you can always learn more and get better.
Posted by: shuri

Re: Never Knew How BAD I Was... - 02/10/06 10:16 AM

Quote:

I've tried to train on my own for about 6 years... I tried sparring someone who knew what they were doing, and who was training in the same martial art style I was...

I am confused at what appears a contradiction here were you training by video or very briefly with an instructor or what

Re: Never Knew How BAD I Was... - 02/13/06 09:56 AM

This is what I do:

I study techniques in books and such, make up my own, and see if they're effective or not, basically...

I've done this for years with weapons and hand to hand tecchniques.

If anyone sees this and wants to help... I need to make a workout/diet plan... If anyone wants to help, let me know here and I'll post details.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Never Knew How BAD I Was... - 02/14/06 12:50 AM

Quote:

I study techniques in books and such, make up my own, and see if they're effective or not, basically...

How do you know you are doing it right? How do you know if it's effective or not? Do you watch ufc?

Quote:

I've done this for years with weapons and hand to hand tecchniques.

Years huh? How old are you and what books have you studied?

I do want to help. My best advice is to find a qualified instructoe in your area.

Re: Never Knew How BAD I Was... - 02/14/06 10:08 AM

Quote:

How do you know you are doing it right? How do you know if it's effective or not? Do you watch ufc?

I don't really... And yes, I do watch UFC.

Quote:

Years huh? How old are you and what books have you studied?

I'm 18 near 19 and have studied the Fighters Manual, Bruce Lee's Fighting Method 1-4, Tao of Gung Fu, Tao of Jeet Kune Do.

Quote:

I do want to help. My best advice is to find a qualified instructoe in your area.

Thanks for offering, but that's just the thing, I can't afford classes and seek advice where ever I can. I'm a pretty sad little person, actually.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Never Knew How BAD I Was... - 02/14/06 04:59 PM

What did you expect with nobody to correct your techniques or show you the proper way. Take what you have learned and find a good instructor maybe his Instructor or him ask him to teach you. If you really have a love for the art learn it the proper way, nobody can teach themselves unless they already have a proper base.

If you spar with self taught people/no base people you may be better then them but once against a person with solid basics you are outclassed, out techniqued and out manuvered.

Study and make yourself proud.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Never Knew How BAD I Was... - 02/15/06 01:09 AM

For some reason I figured you and your buddies for ufc fans,I am too.

The one thing you have is the drive and enthusiasm to learn,but trying to teach yourself is a mistake. You are simply going to get worse at being bad. You will develop bad habits that will be that much harder to correct later on if you ever do join a dojo.

Quote:

Thanks for offering, but that's just the thing, I can't afford classes and seek advice where ever I can. I'm a pretty sad little person, actually.

I don't think so,but where's there's a will there is a way.
I've found in most cities there are usually classes being held free of charge or they will work with you if you are a willing student. Our school is set up this way. They may take some digging to find,but they are out there. Go to some schools in your area and ask around,talk with the instructors and tell them of your situation. They may let you repay them by doing a little work around the dojo. Someone has to clean the place up you know.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Never Knew How BAD I Was... - 02/15/06 10:55 AM

Hello Yorik17:

What you did was very normal... above "normal" in many respects. Now as others before me have suggested... you need to pick one, ANY one art, with a teacher and stay at it for a long time. You cannot bounce around solo, with no formal training to govern you and expect magical skill!
Would you expect to learn a foreign language that way? How about a musical instrument? Both are bad parallels for many reasons, but you get the idea...

Now if you had taken some basic techniques, having learned them correctly & well and went off for several years doing them exclusively.... THEN, I suspect you would have a good technique, or at very least understand far, far more than those who only, exclusively attend classes and never practice on their own time.

Good luck, make better choices and always "trade up" when possible,

J
Posted by: pressureguy

Re: Never Knew How BAD I Was... - 02/20/06 02:16 PM

If you are creative, then you won't need money to find someone to teach you.
Go to a site like www.meetup.com and build a martial arts workout group in your area. Have them meet at a local park and just wear sweats and tshirts. After you get a few people in your club, I am sure someone will step up and offer to teach you.
Also, you could advertise your workout group in some of the local buy/sell trade papers. Those are free to advertise in and you will get a few people that way.

pressureguy
Posted by: Derik

Re: Never Knew How BAD I Was... - 03/16/06 11:33 PM

find a dojang